Vertafore Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2015

2.7

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bothell, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vertafore (Bothell, WA).

Interview

Applied online. Got a call very soon after I applied, talked to the recruiter for a bit and then scheduled an online assessment. Soon after I was called to schedule an in-person interview, which was a series of 1 on 1 conversations. Got a call soon after with the offer.

Interview Questions

• Simple Java questions.
      Questions about my resume and the technologies used and projects.

Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Vertafore.

Interview

Very relaxed and friendly. I met them at the career fair at my university. I initially applied and got declined, but a month later got a call asking me if I'd like to interview with them.
    The interview was 2 hours long. The first 30-40 minutes were technological background questions. Expect to get questions ranging from database design/management to RESTful interface design to C++/Java specifics.

Interview Questions

• Given an integer height, write a function that prints out X's in a pyramid of that height. You may use any language you want. Then run it. This was all done on a whiteboard.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vertafore (Boulder, CO) in January 2015.

Interview

A day after submitting my resume I was emailed by a recruiter to setup a phone screen. The screening was a couple days later and lasted 45 minutes. The questions were related to my background and skills. At the end of the call I was asked to setup another interview in person. My onsite interview was 4 hours. I met with 4 different people including my direct supervisor, his boss, and two other directors. The onsite interview was mainly a review of my skills including a quick test. Two days later I received a call to setup a second onsite interview. This interview was 3 hours and with 2 of the same people alond with a different VP. This interview went over how I fit with the company and the people I would be reporting to. The next day I received my offer. In total it took about a month to go from application to offer. The prpcess was very smooth and efficient.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation when you had to make a decision with incomplete information.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I knew the salary range for the position from the phone screen. When I got the offer it was at a midpoint I liked so I accepted.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lithia Springs, GA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vertafore (Lithia Springs, GA) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone screen interviewed with hiring manager
    Went through his requirements for the contract to hire position
    He seemed impressed with my background
    I felt it was a great fit-
    0 feedback from the hiring manager

Interview Questions

• What technologies have I been exposed to.   1 Answer

Software Engineer In Test Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vertafore in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was immediately contacted by a recruiter. The recruiter asked me a few basic questions about my interests and a little about my background (what was on my resumé). This phone interview was supposed to be only 30 minutes but we ended up chatting for another 15 as she answered some of my questions regarding the Vertafore community.
    I was then set up for a phone interview with the hiring manager which was about the same length and very similar to the initial interview but delved into my resumé on a more technical level. She was also able to answer more specific questions I had regarding the team environment, office, etc.
    At this time, I was actually told that they had already made an offer to another candidate and he had accepted, but they wanted to interview me for another position if I was interested. It was similar but would broaden my skill set, so I said definitely!
    My first in person interview was onsite with the original hiring manager and the new position's hiring manager. This interview lasted about an hour and a half. The questions asked were technical focusing on basic Java and Object Oriented principles, but they were phrased better than the usual "explain the difference between an interface and an abstract class". Instead, I was asked about my past projects and then to describe when would have been a good time to use an interface in that project and when to use an abstract class. The questions were more in line with the real world to see if you actually do understand the concepts rather than just one basic example, but they used projects I knew intimately so that I already knew how I had set it up in the past and to reflect if there was a better way I could have done it. We ended with me asking them some questions and basically just chatting again about what they personally liked about the company.
    I had a 2nd and final in person interview about a week after my first, but this time it was with 2 lead software engineers. I was given 3 sheets with some riddles and 15 minutes to try my luck with them. I could only fully answer 1 and only had jotted notes on the other 2, but they look at them after you leave to see basically your thought process. When they came back in, we looked over my resumé some more, but this time the focus was more on whether or not I would really enjoy and excel in this new position since I didn't have experience with it. After getting down to the core of what exactly this position entitled, my interests, and what I really wanted to do, I felt pretty certain I liked the employees I would be working with and the position I would be in.

Interview Questions

• I honestly felt that all questions were pretty straight-forward and easy. The riddles were tricky for me, but it is more about how you think through problems than getting the answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Before being given an offer, I received a phone call asking what I would accept for compensation. I gave them a $5k range, and they called me back promptly with the highest number in my range. I was happy.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vertafore.

Interview

Phone Interview, asked behavioral questions and go through the resume in details, most of the time introduced their company. Overall, the recruiter is nice, and I think they have good company culture as well. If selected, On-site is necessary, you can expect a group interview

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Vertafore.

Interview

It took a while after submission of application. Process moved quicker after initial phone interview with recruiter. Pleasant, behavioral and experienced based interview questions. Management team seemed very engaged, professional and genuinely interested in getting to know every candidate.

Interview Questions

• Navigating the interdepartmental complexity of a software company.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Vertafore (Bothell, WA).

Interview

I applied to Vertafore and quickly received an email from the recruiter to schedule an interview. After the recruiter interview I was scheduled to interview directly with the hiring manager. He took me through several technical based questions and scenarios. I passed the technical phone interview and was brought on-site quickly after. The interview was around 4 hours where I met with different team members. Overall I enjoyed the conversations I had throughout the interview process, it was not extremely difficult and they allowed me an opportunity to get to know the team and company. I did not end up getting an offer, but I will apply again for future roles.

LRS Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Vertafore.

Interview

Started as temp employee, after 90 days was hired quickly (no interview). Process has changed to include 1:1 interviews after 90 days of employment, including background check and personality test

Interview Questions

• Name a situation when you had a conflict with a customer and describe how you handled it.   Answer Question

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vertafore (Bothell, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

I cold applied to a the position on their website and was contacted by an internal recruiter the very next morning to set up a time for a phone screen.
    I was called at the agreed time but I was talking but to a different person who ended up not knowing much about the role. It was actually a very pleasant conversation and went much longer than I expected. Without knowing more about the position, I talked up my soft skills and leadership skills, the kind of thing that would be transferrable.
    At the end of the hour, I was told that my profile was being forwarded to the next stage.
    At this point, there was two weeks of silence even after sending a thank you note and a follow-up.

After two weeks I was finally contacted by a different recruiter to set up a phone screen was scheduled with the hiring manager.
    The hiring manager phone screen was pretty informal, about a half hour to learn more about the role and judge whether it made sense to come onsite for a loop with the team. I was invited for the onsite interviews a few days later.

The onsite interviews were about 3 hours in total.
    First interview was with a VP of IT responsible for the department. Friendly guy but very rushed, very fast talking. He gave a very brief overview and then rapidly asked questions in an attempt to determine fit. Any hesitancy at all to answer and I was cut off and he moved on to the next question. After about 20 minutes of this, he explained what they are looking for and asked a few easier questions.
    Next was an HR manager who judged my managerial skills. Very comfortable, no hard questions, asked about mistakes I had made and what I learned from them, key milestones in my professional or non-professional experience that define how I work as a manager, etc.
    This was followed by two interviews with department managers. The first was more of an informational chat to better understand the department and challenges for the role, and also look for cultural fit.
    Finally I again spoke with the hiring manager I spoke with on the phone. This was more of a discussion, his only question for me initially was "so do you have any questions for me?" This was followed with about 50% of questions coming from me and 50% coming from him.

About a week later I received notice that I would not be getting an offer. I was sorry to hear this as I would have been excited to to take the role. Everyone I spoke with was professional and warm.

There was one other hiccup. I received a consolation letter from the recruiter which I thought was very nice... but there was some sort of mixup and she sent me the personal note before I was notified I was not the successful candidate, but she realized this on her own sent an apology and a more detailed rejection letter.

Interview Questions

• Describe a specific process that you improved in the last 12 months   1 Answer