Vertical Search Works

Updated May 21, 2014

2.0

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vertical Search Works in April 2014.

I initially found out about this position through an outside recruiter. The recruiter setup an in-person interview with a member of HR at Vertical Search Works. When I went into the office the HR member first showed me around and than we began the actual interview. The interview was pretty straightforward he asked questions you would expect such as what do you know about the company and why are you interested in working here. After meeting with him I met with a sales manager the same day. His questions revolved more around my specific sales experience and sales metrics. He did ask one weird "technical" question but it wasn't difficult to answer. Overall the interviews went well and I was invited back for a final interview with the VP of sales.

The second interview took place a week later. This interview was a bit weird. He initially asked me a couple of basic questions about my experience and why I wanted to work there. After that he said he had no more questions and wanted to find out more about me based on the questions I had for him. I asked him about 7 questions and the interview concluded.

Interview Questions
    • If you were to copy and paste information into an email text box how would you do it?   View Answer

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Vertical Search Works in May 2013.

I was approached on LinkedIn by a member of their HR department. We spoke on the phone and after hearing more about the position and their company I told him that I didn't think this position fit within the current trajectory I have for my career. However, he asked me to please come in anyway and speak with a higher-up so I did. I met with the higher up I expected to and then was interviewed by two other people that I hadn't heard of and wouldn't be directly working with. There weren't any difficult questions. I mostly let them talk - they seemed to be trying to convince me to approve of their company. I was then told that I would be contacted within the next week - I never heard from them after that (though I didn't try to follow up either).

My observations of the space were that it was quite strange and set up a little like a sweat shop. There is a large sales force on the bottom floor and all the account people/bosses are up a flight of stairs, overlooking the sales pit. The windows directly face into a hotel restaurant and the office is located in a less than ideal part of town.

Digital Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Vertical Search Works.

Contacted by a staffing agency that set me up with a phone interview that went well, and was invited for a face to face interview the following week, offer on the spot.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Vertical Search Works in June 2012.

First I was contacted by their external recruiter from Manpower agency in May of 2012, because I responded to the ad at simplyhired.com by sending my resume. The recruiter stressed the fact that employees dress casually for the job. She stated that the company just recently opened a new office in New York City a couple weeks ago, already hired a full team of Inside Sales Representatives for that office, but they are still looking to maybe add a new, additional team the following week.
    First I had a phone interview. The phone interview guy asked me to describe myself, I did, and he seemed very impressed by my presentation. He sounded enthusiastic about my candidacy, stated that he thought that I was going to make it a good fit for their company, and invited me to come for a face-to-face interview with HIM the following day. I asked him whether he was the hiring authority and he stated: "Yes".
    The face to face interview was brief. But strangely enough, it was not the phone interview guy who conducted it. It was another guy who stated to me proudly that he was the phone interview guy's boss, that he was higher in the hierarchy of their managers and that he was the ultimate hiring authority. The phone interview guy joined us both shyly (avoiding looking at me directly) a few minutes after the beginning of the interview. At the end of the interview, he for some strange reason asked me the same question that he asked me the day before on the phone: why I left my previous job, to which I gave him a clear answer on the phone -the company went out of business. The interviewer (the top guy) asked me to describe myself. When I started describing myself (my features, qualities, and experience), he did not seem to be very interested. He stated a few minutes later that he had a 'gut feeling' that I would not be able to do this job (even though I have about 7 years of experience in Inside Sales). When I asked why he felt that way, he said that he didn't know why, but it just was his gut feeling. He then stated that they are planning to start a new class in a couple weeks and that I may be contacted by the agency that had arranged that interview for me with him in case they are interested. They are still in the process of interviewing people, he said, blah, blah, blah... He then stated that it might be a challenge for me to do this type of sales work, because it has to do with digital media sales for which I had no previous experience. I told him that my skills from my previous sale position in a different area (hospitality) are quite transferable for this role and that I am a quick learner. The interview lasted for about 10-12 minutes, and then the guy walked me to the exit. He was curious to know what other companies I am planning to interview with. I answered and then we parted. I never received a call-back.

Digital Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Vertical Search Works in May 2011.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter with whom I had a brief introductory conversation which concluded with a scheduled phone interview with the VP of online sales. After a 10 minute phone interview an on site interview was scheduled. I was interviewed by 3 people who asked similar questions (do you understand what is expected of you? what are your strengths? what are your weaknesses? etc...) and we delved into my professional background. Everyone was very kind so my initial anxiety was alleviated. The following day, I received a job offer. I was hired and entered into a week long training class.

I did not negotiate.

Account Manager Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at Vertical Search Works in November 2012.

A friend referred me for the Account Manager position. The Director of the Account Manager team emailed me and asked me to come in at a specific date and time. When I showed up, he was not prepared and asked me which of the agencies that they work with had sent me. I reminded him that a friend referred me and told him my name and that I was on time for the meeting he had set up. Things still didn't click for him because when I sat down to interview with him and on of his subordinates, they both had the resume for a different person. Once again, I clarified for him and handed them my resume.

Overall, the Director of the Account Manager team didn't seem quite confortable in his own skin and I found the interview to be a bit awkward. He asked me very cliche questions, the kind that some recruiters ask when they phone screen you before an in-person interview.

He also had me meet with 2 other Account Managers, one of which was dressed like a complete wrinkled and disheveled mess, the other was a girl that told me she had just been hired a few weeks ago. She told me that she did not think I would be able to sell the product because I had no experience within the industry. When I looked her up on Linkedin after the interview, it turns out that neither did she.

I figured the role was worth pursuing a further so I wrote a follow up email thanking them and then sent another follow up email 2 weeks after not hearing back from anyone. The company seems really disorganized so I would not be surprised if they emailed someone else thinking it was me. If that is not the case, I do feel that it's uncourteous for a company to not respond to me after I take the time to come in for an interview. In any case, I would not recommend this company. I later found out they are on rip off report and are listed as a scam.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly standard questions....."why do you want to work here?"   Answer Question

Worked for Vertical Search Works? Contribute to the Community!