Veson Nautical Interview Questions

Updated Jun 10, 2015

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Veson Nautical (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

Thoroughly enjoyable - their HR department was very generous and placed me in a very nice hotel ($300/night) just off Boylston Street, a stone's throw from their office. Also paid for my travel. Their engineers who interviewed me were also very nice and joked around with me when I joked with them.

Interview Questions

• (~ 10 minutes)

a.) Given an array of integers (unsorted, not all positive), write a method to find the largest positive integer not in the array. (If the input is [1, 2], return 3. If the input is [1,3], return 2. If the input is [-1,-1,0,2,2,2], return 1).

b.) What is the runtime of this method and what is the theoretical fastest speed?

Answer Question

Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Veson Nautical (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

Got the application through my College's recruitment database. Got a relatively quick phone interview of around 1 hr. It was a combination of a fit and a technical interview. Basically, they wanted to know if I had done testing in the past, and how I went about testing. A very common theme was being able to explain concepts that I learned about to an outside person.

Got a final round at the office. I met with 3 people (4 actually). The first was the person I talked on the phone with. I worked with one of their solutions. Looked for bugs (I suspect it was an earlier build) and wrote a bug report. Had to explain another process/concept that I learned.

The second was another member of the QA group. Ran through a scenario for testing. Talk a bit more about testing and debugging.

The third was with the CEO, didn't do so hot at this part. Got another fix interview and was asked to pseudocode a Matrix rotated 90 degrees clockwise. Had to rely on a hint to get the answer right, but I feel he let it go because I was a QA rather than a Software Development.

The last was with HR, which was a general fit interview, once again. Had the opportunity for questions.

I heard back a week later with an offer. Super excited to work there.

Interview Questions

• How do you rotate a matrix 90 degrees clockwise in place.?   1 Answer
    • How would you test a text editor   1 Answer
    • Explain a concept you learned recent to me in 2 minutes   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't really a negotiation process. But I didn't really expect one. I had heard back from a few other companies, but I was not really eager to accept their offers. In addition, the offer I got was actually extremely competitive.

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Veson Nautical in November 2014.

Interview

Heard about the company at a college career fair. Emailed HR my resume and cover letter and heard back the next business day. Set up a phone meeting with the QA Manager to take place the same week.
    This phone meeting ended up being a relatively informal interview. I was asked questions about my academic background and interests and was asked to walk through a very basic testing scenario.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite text editor? How would you test it?   Answer Question

QA Tester Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Veson Nautical.

Interview

I applied online and heard back from HR the next week to set up initial screening with her. SHe asked basic questions about my background and experience. A week later she emailed to set up time with QA manager. The QA manager called at the correct time but did not seem very interested from the start. He jumped straight to testing questions. None of technical questions were hard nor thoughtful. It was my first interview after some time so was caught off guard.

Product Designer Interview

Interview

I applied through my college's career services for the Product Designer position. The next day I received an email to set up a phone interview with HR. The HR representative was very helpful and informative about the position. I thought the interview went well, but about two weeks after my phone interview, I was notified that they moved on with someone else.

Interview Questions

• Why Veson (as I do not know anything about the nautical industry)   Answer Question

Technical Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Veson Nautical (Boston, MA).

Interview

I applied for this position online and shortly afterwards, I received an e-mail and an invitation for a phone screening interview. The phone interview went great. I spoke with an HR representative. They seemed interested in me as much as I was interested in their company. They even made note of my bilingual talent and nautical experience and mentioned how it would have complimented my technical talent in such a position. This company has an international client base. I really felt confident that I would be moving onto the next step in the process; however, it turned out I received a short rejection letter the following week. I have absolutely no idea what may have disqualified me for the position. Judging by the other interviews, this is definitely a very difficult company to get into.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Veson Nautical.

Interview

I send a cover letter with my resume to the listed email address on veson nautical's career web page. Three days later, I received their reply and was invited to take a phone interview.
    I was asked to describe my current position and to answer some basic questions about OOP. I was also asked to solve some simple string manipulations problems via an online collaboration text editor.

Interview Questions

• They asked questions about inheritances, which I wasn't quite prepared for   Answer Question

Software Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Veson Nautical (Boston, MA) in April 2012.

Interview

I had a very pleasant experience at the career fair. They treated me with respect, listened well, and recognized my Eagle Scout rank.

A few days after the career fair I received an email from Human Resources asking to schedule a technical phone interview.

I then met with a software developer manager over the phone and answered some object-oriented concept questions, data structure questions, and also talked about my experience and my projects. I also connected to the website sync.in, a collaborative notepad tool, where I was asked to code a function to shift letters over in a string, in a language of my choice.

A few days after this first phone interview I received the good news that I had passed it and proceeded to a second phone interview. It was much like the first, and involved some design questions and two programming questions. Both were in C++, one being to reverse a string and the other being to find the second largest integer in an array of integers.

Having done pretty well in both phone screens, I was asked to come in for an in-person interview. Veson paid for a round trip flight to Boston, and a hotel stay at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel, a very nice place.

The day of the in person interview, I went to the headquarters at 500 Boylston Street. It was in a beautiful, large building with ornate fountains and marble columns out front. The Veson offices on the fourth floor were very modern, well-stocked and a great environment to work in.

That day, I interviewed with four people. The first was a member of the Quality Assurance department. I aced that interview, which involved talking through my resume, how I would test certain functions and going through some of my projects.

I then met with a Human Resources Representative to talk through some behavior-based and typical HR questions.

Next came the first of two technical interviews. I was asked to talk about some of my projects, then code a solution, in C++, to a problem involving the removal of spaces from a character array. Having done so, I proceeded to solve a brain teaser involving two robots and a flag on an infinite line of integers. I felt that this interview went pretty well.

The final interview, and also what I believe prevented me from getting an offer, was technical in nature and we started into the problem immediately. I was asked to write an integer-to-string function, and in hindsight it was not very difficult and should not have taken me so long, but for one reason or another I stumbled here and took a while to solve it. While I did eventually get it, it was only after quite a bit of hints and it took way too long.

I was sent home and told I would hear back in the coming days. I heard back a few days later and it was unfortunately a no. I regret my poor performance in that one interview and feel that it was within my grasp, but what's done is done. Hopefully you will have better luck than me! Good luck.

Interview Questions

• Write an integer-to-string function in C++.   1 Answer
    • Given two robots on an infinite line of integers, with a flag guaranteed to be between them, write a behavior for both robots to follow which will guarantee them to eventually meet. The robots can only "see" the position they are standing on, and can't remember anything. Also note that they can't tell if they are the leftmost or rightmost robot. They can tell if they are on the flag or the other robot. They may move right, move left, or wait.   1 Answer

Software Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Veson Nautical (Boston, MA) in August 2010.

Interview

Was asked to connect the laptop so he could see what i was typing. Was asked to make programs in c++ which basically dealt with strings and chars such as finding the number of spaces. Asked some questions about complexity.

Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Veson Nautical (Boston, MA) in March 2010.

Interview

Applied online for a software intern position. The first round was telephonic ,was asked about my academic projects ,basic question in C++ ,data structures and a brain teaser.

Interview Questions

• describe different data structures and its complexities .   Answer Question
    • difference between abstract class and interface   1 Answer