ViaSat Interview Questions in Carlsbad, CA

Updated Jul 15, 2015

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA).

Interview

First there were two phone interviews to determine if you are a culture fit. The first will be from the recruiter to determine your background. The second will go into a broad overview of your technical knowledge. They want to make sure that you want to work and learn. If you pass the phone interview, then you will be scheduled for an onsite interview with five different people. They will be from different teams, so there is a chance you may end up on a different team from what you applied for depending on the team that likes you. Practice your handwriting or they will not be able to read what you write down for them. I do not know if you can bring a laptop to type out your answers. The interview lasts about four to five hours. Good luck.

Interview Questions

• Given a range from 0 to N, write a function that returns all prime numbers. Give a recursive method that calculates a fibonacci sequence, rewrite it to remove the recursion and reduce its time complexity. Use nested SQL select statements to determine a value in table A from information in table B. Given list A with a number of values, return the list with its values reversed. Describe a hash table in as much detail as possible. Describe time complexity from best to worst. Describe different types of sorting methods. What are the principles of object-oriented programming? Tell me the difference between include and require in PHP. What is the difference between overloading and overriding in Java? How do you troubleshoot a network connection from your workstation to a server inside the company? How do you troubleshoot a network connection from your workstation to a client in another time zone? Describe the OSI layers and give an example of each. Write a test script in Python.   1 Answer

Systems Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I met with five different engineers. One was in his mid 20's, another was in his mid 30's and the remaining three were 45+. All the interviewers were very pleasant and easy to have a dialogue with. Each meeting was 30-45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Solve a simple op-amp circuit   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Multiple phone interviews. First was to gauge my personality and how I would react in different situations. The rest were all technical interviews, they started looking at me for one position then I had a technical interview for another position. I never got past the phone interview stage, even though they said all the interviews went very well.

Interview Questions

• What types of lists are there?   1 Answer

Learning AndDevelopment Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA).

Interview

I was contacted soon after submitting my resume by HR. I spoke with Cindy who was really nice and helpful and really sold me on the company. I was excited. Next interview was on the phone with the department manager, once again great experience got to know each other and what we were both looking for. Next, was the in house interview which consisted of 4 different interviews a total of about 3 hours! I found that unnecessary given I was applying for an entry level position. The interview process started with someone who didn't work in the department but was a close collaborative partner. Then it was followed by two members of the team, one in person and one via skype (this was a bit odd). Then finally with the manager at which point I was a bit tired and winded from walking around. The questions were standard and some of the members appeared more interested than others in what I was actually saying. I did not get an offer,their main comment being : "you were very nervous and your skills did not shine trough". They had mentioned they decided to pursue other candidates but it appears the position is still open.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions: What do you know about Viasat? Why do you want this job?, Tell me about a time you dealt with a challenge? What do you look for in a manager?, Why did you decide to get your MBA?, And the odd one , that I guess was supposed to be fun: What would you do if you won the lottery?   Answer Question

Network Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Process took about four weeks. First interview was with a temp HR rep who was very nice we spoke on the phone for about 40 min and discussed my experience. Second interview spoke with the department manager over the phone, we discussed my experience and knowledge and the company. This interview went well and the manager seemed excited to have me in for an on site interview. The on site interview was a day long event where I spent almost 4 hours in a conference room and interviewed with 8 different people one of which was over the phone with an off site tech. All of these interviews seemed to go well, These interviews were very technical and I answered all questions to the best of my abilities. During one of the interviews I was advised that my age would be an issue with the HR department , I am a 42 year old with 20 years experience in the Telecom industry 6 of which involved networking. Despite the fact that I met all of the education and experience requirements for this job I was not given an offer. I was not provided a reason as to why but the only negative was my age that anyone had to say.

Interview Questions

• Very technical, CISCO configuration questions mostly and basic trouble shooting.   1 Answer
    • How would you add VLAN 10 to a switch   1 Answer

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online from the company website. Receive a phone interview after application submitted. Scheduled an onsite interview two weeks after the phone interview, and an offered of the position after the onsite interview one week after.

Interview Questions

• Basic C++ and C# questions. What is it the order of C++ class creation.   Answer Question

QA Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

The hiring QA manager no showed (no call) the phone screening, so I followed up via email with the internal company recruiter I had been communicating with to see what was going on and never got a response. Forget apologies, not even an explanation. In all, they pretty much made my reference look bad in the process. Stay classy ViaSat.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really difficult from the initial screening and never got any questions from the hiring manager screening since it never happened.   2 Answers

Hardware Engineer Newgrad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Had a prescreen, a technical phone interview, then an onsite interview for 3 1/2 hours with 4 electrical engineers. Met with them one after another. First guy was hardest, next 3 were more laid back.

Interview Questions

• Got asked mostly opened ended thought process questions, but a few technical questions. Q1) You have to design a traffic light, how would approach it in vhdl/code? Q2) You have a satellite, antenna, modem, and computer. You're asked to troubleshoot/test this system, how would you approach it? Q3) You are given a task to design a system to interface a piece of hardware and software and have only 8 weeks, what would be the steps you take to design this system? (I found this to be the hardest because of the time limitation he provided). Q4) How does SPI work? Q5) If you have a 5ns setup time and the signal arrives at 4ns, is this good or bad? Easy question, its good. It was my first interview and i was panicking with this guy so i said bad like an idiot and new i was done right there.   1 Answer

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

First call was general questions with HR. Detailed and by-the-books barrage of questions regarding job history, salary history, desired salary, and job details. I provided job details, but quickly realized that the HR rep did not understand the technical terms, so I adjusted accordingly. I felt this to be a waste of time because I would end up repeating my job details to knowledgeable engineer interviewers. Second call was with an engineer asking some technical questions and history. Felt this was a more worthwhile call. Flew out on location for a day long interview with 5 different sessions. Expectation was 45 hour long weeks and an ability to apply general electrical engineering concepts and to meet project deadlines. I enjoyed the interview process, people were friendly and I liked the technical questions. I thought the interview went well, however I did not get an offer, and did not get an explanation why -- Big warning sign throughout the process was the great divide between the engineers and HR. I have been refused email contact with engineers and feedback from the interview. Interview was delayed and I did not get to meet the main point of contact (which was a HR rep.). Speculation only here, but I believe much of the selection process is standardized, and it might be due to whether I pass/fail the questions. I do not know how much influence HR has in the final selection process, but the warning signs were present throughout. It would have been nice to work with the bright engineers, though.

Interview Questions

• Questions regarding modulation, networking theories, protocols, and a couple brain teaser questions.   Answer Question

Government Audit Compliance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA).

Interview

A recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn and set up my interview with ViaSat. I met with four people in a two hour time period. The interview was a serious one, filled with questions such as why do I want to leave public accounting and how experienced I am with governmental accounting and Excel and very large financial numbers and projects.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how I handled a difficult and stressful situation while on the job   Answer Question