ViaSat Engineering Intern Interview Questions

2.8

Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ViaSat in January 2013.

Interview

I applied online, and I was emailed a form to fill out by a recruiter, which asked about my previous jobs, my citizenship status, and my availability for a phone interview. I was extended an offer after one phone interview. They did a background check after I accepted the offer, and then provided me with more details about the internship.

Interview Questions

• No questions were difficult or unexpected. Just have a good grasp of data structures and algorithms. Also be prepared to talk about your previous work experience or projects.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for ViaSat

Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

Asked about resume work and then asked a couple of technical questions. Interviewer was friendly and did not belittle me for not getting a correct answer. Seemed like he was more interested in explaining to me what I would be doing as an intern rather than focus on what I was not capable of.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

It was a half behavioral and half technical interview with a program manager of the project for a summer internship. Internship process is straight forward, mostly judging to see if the candidate is a right fit for the project. Technical questions are related to coursework given from the resume, not something bizarre and irrelevant. Interviewer seems very positive and tries to look for your strengths.

Interview Questions

• Give an instance of the most innovative idea in the recent tech news.   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at ViaSat (San Diego, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

I received an offer for an interview, and because I had to reach a decision for another opportunity within 4 days they were quickly able to organize a phone interview within 2 days. BIG ups for that.

My (to be) boss gave me a call and set up a scenario about a global satellite system, and asked me how I would go about resolving a complaint that a user in Europe wasn't receiving service. My boss was looking for how I approached the problem, which was to first determine if the user was an isolated case or whether it was a region wide problem. Then the conversation turned to whether we had control of the satellite, and it turned out that we were licensing the satellite from another company and that they had scheduled a maintenance without properly notifying us. (Asking questions got me to that conclusion.) Then, to prevent future similar occurrences I proposed increased conversation with the company through a liaison of sorts. (Basic solution.)

He also asked about my previous work, and it turned out he did his PhD with my research coordinator, so yay.

Interview Questions

• Given a satellite system, which comprises of a satellite, a ground hub, and user terminals, how would you resolve a user complaint (from a terminal) in Europe complaining that they had lost signal?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation,