ViaSat

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ViaSat in January 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, and I was emailed a form to fill out by a recruiter, which asked about my previous jobs, my citizenship status, and my availability for a phone interview. I was extended an offer after one phone interview. They did a background check after I accepted the offer, and then provided me with more details about the internship.

Interview Question – No questions were difficult or unexpected. Just have a good grasp of data structures and algorithms. Also be prepared to talk about your previous work experience or projects.   Answer Question

Engineer Intern Interview

Carlsbad, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at ViaSat in April 2012.

Interview Details – Asked about resume work and then asked a couple of technical questions. Interviewer was friendly and did not belittle me for not getting a correct answer. Seemed like he was more interested in explaining to me what I would be doing as an intern rather than focus on what I was not capable of.

Interview Question – Pros and cons of data structures like linked lists.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

San Diego, CA

The process took 5 days - interviewed at ViaSat in May 2011.

Interview Details – I received an offer for an interview, and because I had to reach a decision for another opportunity within 4 days they were quickly able to organize a phone interview within 2 days. BIG ups for that.

My (to be) boss gave me a call and set up a scenario about a global satellite system, and asked me how I would go about resolving a complaint that a user in Europe wasn't receiving service. My boss was looking for how I approached the problem, which was to first determine if the user was an isolated case or whether it was a region wide problem. Then the conversation turned to whether we had control of the satellite, and it turned out that we were licensing the satellite from another company and that they had scheduled a maintenance without properly notifying us. (Asking questions got me to that conclusion.) Then, to prevent future similar occurrences I proposed increased conversation with the company through a liaison of sorts. (Basic solution.)

He also asked about my previous work, and it turned out he did his PhD with my research coordinator, so yay.

Interview Question – Given a satellite system, which comprises of a satellite, a ground hub, and user terminals, how would you resolve a user complaint (from a terminal) in Europe complaining that they had lost signal?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation,

Carlsbad, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at ViaSat in May 2011.

Interview Details – It was a half behavioral and half technical interview with a program manager of the project for a summer internship. Internship process is straight forward, mostly judging to see if the candidate is a right fit for the project. Technical questions are related to coursework given from the resume, not something bizarre and irrelevant. Interviewer seems very positive and tries to look for your strengths.

Interview Question – Give an instance of the most innovative idea in the recent tech news.   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at ViaSat in December 2009.

Interview Details – Questions based on resume, past internships, software engineering practices, data structures.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult project you've worked on, and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at ViaSat

Worked for ViaSat? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ViaSat Engineering Intern interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by ViaSat employees and interview candidates.