ViaSat

Relevance Date Difficulty

Hardware Engineer Newgrad Interview

Hardware Engineer Newgrad
Carlsbad, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ViaSat in July 2014.

Interview Details – Had a prescreen, a technical phone interview, then an onsite interview for 3 1/2 hours with 4 electrical engineers. Met with them one after another. First guy was hardest, next 3 were more laid back.

Interview Question – Got asked mostly opened ended thought process questions, but a few technical questions.
Q1) You have to design a traffic light, how would approach it in vhdl/code?
Q2) You have a satellite, antenna, modem, and computer. You're asked to troubleshoot/test this system, how would you approach it?
Q3) You are given a task to design a system to interface a piece of hardware and software and have only 8 weeks, what would be the steps you take to design this system? (I found this to be the hardest because of the time limitation he provided).
Q4) How does SPI work?
Q5) If you have a 5ns setup time and the signal arrives at 4ns, is this good or bad? Easy question, its good. It was my first interview and i was panicking with this guy so i said bad like an idiot and new i was done right there.
  View Answer

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Senior Systems Engineer
Carlsbad, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ViaSat in June 2014.

Interview Details – First call was general questions with HR. Detailed and by-the-books barrage of questions regarding job history, salary history, desired salary, and job details. I provided job details, but quickly realized that the HR rep did not understand the technical terms, so I adjusted accordingly. I felt this to be a waste of time because I would end up repeating my job details to knowledgeable engineer interviewers. Second call was with an engineer asking some technical questions and history. Felt this was a more worthwhile call. Flew out on location for a day long interview with 5 different sessions. Expectation was 45 hour long weeks and an ability to apply general electrical engineering concepts and to meet project deadlines. I enjoyed the interview process, people were friendly and I liked the technical questions. I thought the interview went well, however I did not get an offer, and did not get an explanation why --
Big warning sign throughout the process was the great divide between the engineers and HR. I have been refused email contact with engineers and feedback from the interview. Interview was delayed and I did not get to meet the main point of contact (which was a HR rep.).
Speculation only here, but I believe much of the selection process is standardized, and it might be due to whether I pass/fail the questions. I do not know how much influence HR has in the final selection process, but the warning signs were present throughout. It would have been nice to work with the bright engineers, though.

Interview Question – Questions regarding modulation, networking theories, protocols, and a couple brain teaser questions.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ViaSat.

Interview Details – I submitted application online and received initial contact from HR approximately 2 weeks later. I went through an HR phone interview and then a second phone interview with a senior engineer/manager. Technical questions were asked during the second phone interview. I was then invited on-site and had a handful of 1-on-1 interviews with various people within the department. Each interviewer had prepared technical problems that we went over. Some were related to items on my resume while others were out of my domain.

Finance Interview

Finance

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ViaSat.

Interview Details – Initial screening with HR
Second round: Follow-up interview with member of the Finance team
Final round: Multiple interviews (4-6) with various members of the Finance team
Slow process with a lot of lag in between rounds
Background check and referrals required after final round of interviews
Mostly behavioral and resume questions

Interview Question – None, mostly behavioral/resume   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiation if not an experienced hire

Software Intern Interview

Software Intern
Carlsbad, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at ViaSat in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, and it took them quite around a month to get back to me. Once we established contact, the recruiter was very responsive and replied very quickly. The interview scheduling was very flexible, and the recruiter was very nice and helpful. I only had 1 phone interview that lasted around 1 hour, and it consisted of 20% personality and 80% code/resume. Overall, the questions were very straightforward and were about binary trees, and my interviewer was very helpful and nice as well.

Interview Question – All the questions were very straightforward and easy.   Answer Question

Security Associate Interview

Security Associate
Carlsbad, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at ViaSat in June 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online on a whim, never having heard of the company. Was contacted probably a month later, maybe longer, and asked to schedule a phone interview. First phone interview was with HR. The HR representative asked general questions about my resume, and scheduled another phone interview with the head of the security department. This phone interview was about previous security experience, military history, availability, etc. It was very easy and cordial. HR scheduled me to come in for an in person interview afterwards a few weeks later. It took about an hour and a half, and involved about four different people coming and going at different times. They all asked the same general questions about prior military experience, security clearances, gave me a campus tour, etc. They made sure to tell me several times that this was just a formality and I would be getting an offer. It was a light and easy interview. Received an email a few days later with an offer package to sign and fax back to HR. The hiring process was very long; over three months total.

Interview Question – Describe your experience with materials and physical security.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for a position at this level.

Government Audit Compliance Interview

Government Audit Compliance
Carlsbad, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at ViaSat.

Interview Details – A recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn and set up my interview with ViaSat. I met with four people in a two hour time period. The interview was a serious one, filled with questions such as why do I want to leave public accounting and how experienced I am with governmental accounting and Excel and very large financial numbers and projects.

Interview Question – Give an example of how I handled a difficult and stressful situation while on the job   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

Hardware Engineer
Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at ViaSat in March 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview, then one-time on-site interview with multiple managers and technical engineers

Interview Question – Be careful with the behavior questions, very difficult to answer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation during the process

Network Engineer Interview

Network Engineer
Denver, CO

I interviewed at ViaSat in April 2014.

Interview Details – Interview was short and technical. The interviewer had some specific questions to ask and also described the job position in detail

Interview Question – I did not face any most difficult question   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineering Manager Interview

Manufacturing Engineering Manager
San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at ViaSat in July 2010.

Interview Details – You get a first interview on the phone with HR. Then if you pass that, they sign you up for at least 5 people. They don't tell you who you will be seeing or their titles.

Interview Question – Each person is different in their questions. Some are very technical and some ore trying to feel out your personality. They are very judgmental and don't have a good standard methodology.   View Answer

Worked for ViaSat? Contribute to the Community!