ViaSat Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 3, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA).

Interview

First there were two phone interviews to determine if you are a culture fit. The first will be from the recruiter to determine your background. The second will go into a broad overview of your technical knowledge. They want to make sure that you want to work and learn.

If you pass the phone interview, then you will be scheduled for an onsite interview with five different people. They will be from different teams, so there is a chance you may end up on a different team from what you applied for depending on the team that likes you.

Practice your handwriting or they will not be able to read what you write down for them. I do not know if you can bring a laptop to type out your answers.

The interview lasts about four to five hours. Good luck.

Interview Questions

• Given a range from 0 to N, write a function that returns all prime numbers.

Give a recursive method that calculates a fibonacci sequence, rewrite it to remove the recursion and reduce its time complexity.

Use nested SQL select statements to determine a value in table A from information in table B.

Given list A with a number of values, return the list with its values reversed.

Describe a hash table in as much detail as possible.

Describe time complexity from best to worst.

Describe different types of sorting methods.

What are the principles of object-oriented programming?

Tell me the difference between include and require in PHP.

What is the difference between overloading and overriding in Java?

How do you troubleshoot a network connection from your workstation to a server inside the company?

How do you troubleshoot a network connection from your workstation to a client in another time zone?

Describe the OSI layers and give an example of each.

Write a test script in Python.

1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for ViaSat

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at ViaSat.

Interview

I was introduced to the company at my university's career fair. I had a behavioral interview over the phone, one technical phone interview, and a final non-technical phone interview with an engineer. The interviewer was an awesome guy and the project sounded cool, so I showed a lot of interest. I got an offer in the next few weeks.

I was only asked two or three technical questions during the entire process, which is fewer than what one would expect.

Interview Questions

• Hash table - details about hashing, insertion, collision handling, Big O analysis.   Answer Question
    • Java questions - three principles of object oriented programming   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at ViaSat.

Interview

Never applied, they reached out to me after viewing my resume through my university resume book. Had an HR interview, then about a week later was asked to technical interview. All over the phone. Two weeks after that I was offered a position.

Interview Questions

• Basic c++ data structures, lots of networking questions such as difference between TCP/UDP, what is IP, etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at ViaSat.

Interview

It is very difficult to get an interview without a referral. Always check with the hiring contact person as to the update on your interview. They will sometimes go for weeks without any updates.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at ViaSat in December 2014.

Interview

Applied for a software engineering job online. Got contacted a few weeks later for a normal HR interview. This consisted of basic behavioral questions and lasted about 45 minutes.

After this, got contacted for a technical phone interview about a week later. The phone interview was for a job (Test engineer) that I had not applied for and did not fit my qualifications. I did not know why I did not interview for the job I had applied for but heard back about 2 weeks later that they were going in a different direction.

Interview Questions

• Questions about RF technologies that I had no experience in.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at ViaSat (San Diego, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview was brief, I was asked me some questions about my resume and then a brief coding question. Afterward they asked me if I had any other questions about the company. The interviewer was nice and gave as much guidance as I asked for for the interview question. Gave me his contact info and said to ask him anything I want about the company and that I could come down to his office some time if I wished. I ultimately did not get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Write a method that takes in a string and inverts the case of each character in it. Use any language you would like.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at ViaSat (College Park, MD) in September 2014.

Interview

Information session at University, followed by on-campus interview. There after, the candidates who get shortlisted will be called ofr on-site interview at their main location.Based on the performance of the on-site interview, decision is made whether to hire a candidate.I was interviewed on-campus during september 2014 but they haven't responded even after two months. Overall, it is difficult process but you can learn a lot through the process.

Interview Questions

• They asked about some new network protocol which we were unaware of.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at ViaSat (Denver, CO).

Interview

Had the typical phone screen like everyone else.

Conversed with some lady on the other end and was NOT impressed by this company at all. The other person didn't have a clue as to basically anything that went in the software development world. Like other reviewers experienced, the person I spoke to seemed very unprofessional. In the end, I decided to not pursue the on-site interview since I did not want to work with those kind of people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at ViaSat (Carlsbad, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Phone Interview, started with asking about the courses I was currently taking at University, Then asked me to describe what I had learned in my data structures, algorithms and database courses. To end the Interview we shared a Google document where he asked me to write a few functions for him.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to solve for the factorial of a number.
      Write a function to solve for the a power of a number.
      rewrite power function to be recursive.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

There were standard phone interviews initially, then they flew me down for an in person interview. This was one of my first interviews upon graduating college so I wasn't quite sure what to expect other than there might be fizz buzz questions. While I think I did ok on that portion, I wasn't ready for them to scrutinize my resume.