Vice Media

Updated Nov 8, 2014
Updated Nov 8, 2014

2.2

Intern Interview

I worked a lot with the editors, though because VICE is a corporation, a lot of the hiring process is done through HR. The process wasn't immediate, but it was relatively quick. I was satisfied with the process.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Vice Media in September 2014.

HR at VICE Media is by far the most unprofessional I've experienced in 10+ years in this industry.

Initial call with HR.. asked to come meet in person the following week. Then didn't hear anything for weeks. Never even received a response to either of my followup emails asking for an update.
    About a month later I received an email out of the blue saying the hiring manager used the open headcount to backfill an engineer position, so they are no longer looking for a marketing person.

It is completely unprofessional to not take two minutes to reply to candidates who have spent hours going through the interview process with you. Between the phone interview, the back and forth emails scheduling everything, and the in-person meetings, I wasted close to six hours with this company. And yes, that includes the two hours of commute time roundtrip getting to and from their office in a remote area of Brooklyn which is not close to any subway stop.

Just like others are saying here most of the interview process goes through HR. Not sure if they're overworked because of that or what, but HR at VICE is incredibly unresponsive, super long delays between emails, were late for interviews both on the phone and in person, and without a doubt the most unprofessional.

Makes you wonder if the hiring managers are even aware of the candidates that are applying for positions to join their team, because any of the good ones will already have accepted other positions or no longer be interested after their experience with HR. Those left that finally get through to the hiring managers are likely bottom of the barrel.

Interview Questions
    • Started with a long rant about how amazing VICE is, there is no shortage of people wanting to work there because they're so great blah blah blah......

then on to how they're aware that they pay a large percentage lower than industry average, but the experience you get working at a company as cool as VICE is worth it for less pay blah blah blah.....

followed by "so keeping this in mind, what would be your salary requirements for this position"?

Answer Question

Publisher Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Vice Media.

Expectations were never aligned around responsibility and compensation. Multiple conversations about the position revealed that they were staffing for the addition of multiple new publishing verticals. They were definitely looking for experienced candidates, but VICE definitely lived up to the reputation of underpaying. No wonder the turnover is so high.

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vice Media.

Sent in resume through my college and was asked to come in for an interview. Very relaxed atmosphere. You get an instant VICE vibe both in terms of the work environment and the people. Interview revolved around my previous marketing experience and was largely driven by general open ended questions. They offered me the internship about 20 minutes into the interview. I had to check back with some potential scheduling conflicts and they were fine with waiting a couple of days to hear back from me. I let them know that I'd do the internship shortly after and had great experience at VICE.

Note: I recommend that you prepare even more questions than you would for your regular interview – internship interviews at VICE are not exactly planned out to the minute so it's good if you can drive the conversation a bit more than you might in a more structured interview.

Interview Questions
    • Rather than asking a specific question, the interviewers typically go over some projects that are happening at the time and that seem like they could benefit from your experience.   View Answer

PHP Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Vice Media in July 2013.

I was sent to their offices in Williamsburg for an in person interview without a phone screen. I met with the VP of Technology as well as two developers. The interview was for a backend PHP role, but they wanted to know about any front-end skills I might have as well.

The office was large and populated mostly with casually dressed young people. Everyone was quite friendly and seemed happy to speak with me. The interview took place in a conference room. I had a hard stop after an hour due to time constraints of my own. I was asked about my background and then handed a laptop that was connected to the room's projector. I had to write PHP functions to perform tasks like determining if a word started with an uppercase character without using the ctype_upper() function.

The interview questions were easy and completely solvable. I was allowed to use Google or other Internet resources when needed, however, they watch the entire process so they know when you are looking for additional resrouces.

Interview Questions
    • Sort a array of objects based on one of the properties of the array.   View Answer

Media Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vice Media in June 2013.

I found the interview listing online and went in the next day. Great office and seems to have a nice company culture. Was asked some technical questions which I did not find difficult and the interviewer seems to be enthusiastic about his work.

Interview Questions
    • It was tough to pinpoint the exact nature of the job, which included lots of video deliveries on various platforms.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vice Media.

It was a phone interview, didn't ask anything about my background, just explained to me how amazing the company was and how badly they wanted me in their team.