Virgin America

40 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Guest Services Teammate

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Virgin America.

Interview Details – I applied did the assessment and roughly 2 weeks received a phone call to attend open house at a hotel. The interview process was very fun...it didn't feel like an interview...there were about 20 of us...about 15 of them dressed in typical dark suit and white shirt suit combo...I wore color...I wore a non typical suit...it would have been classified more contemporary and edgy...also a colored blouse...first we were seated in groups...of like 5/6 we did an ice breaker which was great...didn't seem like they were observing but they were...be yourself...HAVE FUN...then a 1on 1...about a week later got call to drug test about a week after that got a call that I was offered position.

Interview Question – Describe yourself in one word and why   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Virgin America in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call back from the people department for an over the phone interview about 3-4 weeks later. At that point advised of pay, no visible tattoo policy etc. Was immediately invited to a group interview which was scheduled 1-2 weeks later. Group interview was at a local hotel. This is NOT a cattle call as I've seen in the past with other airlines. It really goes to show the time and effort put into screening candidates so there is a small group of top pick candidates. Interview starts promptly. There was a few folks that didn't show up despite being invited. Keep in mind if you can't attend you have the opportunity to let the recruiter know in advance. Went into introductions, then ice breaker game. About 6-7 different representatives from leadership team is walking around observing you and taking notes. After ice breaker they have a presentation on company, job expectations and requirements. Then we move into the individual interviews. Everyone gets the opportunity to have 1x1. Unlike what most ppl mentioned, we didn't interview in groups of 2-3. The interview was 1x1. Two days later was sent for drug test. Was emailed about 1 week later for clarification question on background. Exactly 2 weeks after interview was given a call and offered the job. Good people, good company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Pretty standard for no negotiation in airline industry.

In-flight Team Member Interview

In-flight Team Member
Burlingame, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Virgin America.

Interview Details – Sent in a resume. Was sent a personality test via email. It was quite simple and just wanted to make sure you had the qualities they are looking for. Then I was invited to fly to SF and interview. It was a group interview, we did a few activities and they just want to see if you can interact well in groups - don't be bossy or overwhelming, but don't be silent and just sit there. A happy medium, if you will. Then we were brought in for individual interviews which was actually fun. About a week later I was asked to take a drug test - government job - and then I was offered the job a few days after that. Pretty painless actually.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a difficult guest onboard? Or tell me about a time when you had to use excellent customer service to change the mind of someone who was upset?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation. Pay scale is set.

Crew Scheduler Interview

Crew Scheduler

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Virgin America.

Interview Details – Expect a group interview, with a panel of interviewers following with a set of easy questions.

Interview Question – Will ask background information along with situation questions.   Answer Question

Airport Team Member Interview

Airport Team Member
Boston, MA

I applied online - interviewed at Virgin America in March 2014.

Interview Details – Filled out the application online, in February. Received a phone call in March from the recruiter, answered questions related to my work history and resume.

Advised of the pay, hours, ect..

I was advised to meet the Manager in the airport.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Virgin?   Answer Question

Newark, NJ

I interviewed at Virgin America in March 2014.

Interview Details – After completing the basic application, I was immediately led to an assessment that took about an hour to complete even though it says 38 minutes. Less than a week later I received a phone call from HQ asking if I had customer service experience and if I had any visible tattoos or piercings. Then, he described the position, pay rate, uniform, and training session which is 3 weeks in San Francisco. At the end of the phone call, I was Invited to a group interview 4 days later at a local hotel. Day consisted of ice breakers, presentation, and interview with 3 managers at once. There are two other people interviewing alongside you as well. You take turns answering each question. At the end of the interview, they inform you that you will hear back either way about a week and a half after the interview. If selected, you will have to take a drug test. After passing the drug test, you are pretty much offered the job.

Interview Question – Why do you want to be a part of Virgin America?   Answer Question

In-flight Team Member Interview

In-flight Team Member
Burlingame, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Virgin America in January 2014.

Interview Details – I had only heard of Virgin America recently, so I decided to apply online and see where it got me. Less then three days later, I was called by there recruitment center and asked if I had time to answer some questions about the position I was applying for. She was very pleasant, and we both laughed about a couple of things we had in common. I was then invited to fly down from Seattle to San Francisco (at my own expense!) for the group interviews two weeks later. We were to report at 8am sharp and expected to stay until 12:30.

It was really a fun morning, and I certainly wasn't expecting that. The staff put all the candidates at ease, by introducing themselves and there sense of humors. we were divided into groups of 5 or 6 , and from then on, given directions to come up with a unique aspect of each member of the group, then asked to stand in front of everyone else and let them match up the aspects to us. towards the end of the morning, we had the one on one interviews and afterword told we would here within a week or so, if we'd been selected to attend training.

Interview Question – "Please tell me about yourself"   View Answer

Guest Service Teammate Interview

Guest Service Teammate
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Virgin America in January 2014.

Interview Details – Received a call after applying online and taking the assessment test. After the phone interview was the group interview at a hotel near the airport then 10 minutes for individual interview. The interview process at the hotel lasted approximately 4hrs. I received an email about a week later for the drug test and then was told they were still doing a background check. still waiting to hear from them and crossing my fingers. Great Company. Fun environment.

Interview Question – What made you apply for this company?   View Answer

In Flight Crew Interview

In Flight Crew
Burlingame, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Virgin America in January 2014.

Interview Details – Completed online application and personality assessment (which took about 45 minutes). The personality assessment ask things like "How much do you agree or disagree with the following statement" or "Which of the following 3 words best describes you." Based on the way you answer these questions, I believe you're "graded" on how well your answers align with the company's values. Depending on this correlation, I think you're ranked and you're ranking determines how quickly the recruiters will contact you. I say this because I applied a week before the 1:1 interviews and was contacted by a recruiter 15 minutes after submitting my online application and personality assessment. I have worked in customer service for over 10 years, managed retail stores, and have an understanding of what they are looking for. I could be wrong about all this, but it's my hunch because I asked her if she'd had a chance to read my cover letter and resume and she said no, leading me to assume that my assessment had been the sole reason for the call.

Anyways, once the recruiter called, she asked 3 questions:
1) Why Virgin?
2) Do you have a valid passport?
3) Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond in customer service.

After my answer, she asked if I would be interested in going to the in-person interview in Burlingame. I said of course. The interview was a week later at 8:30am at the Embassy Suites in Burlingame.

The recruiter sent an email containing 4 documents, 2 of which are a consent form to conduct a drug test, a document containing some vocabulary words, airport abbreviations, and a breakdown of the 24-hour time system (which must be memorized because they quiz you on this information at the interview). They also asked me to bring in 2 photocopies of my passport.

The in-person interview was very fun and interactive. They break you off into groups and as a group you have to present 3 things you all have in common and then a statement about each person which you think people wouldn't know about you. Then the groups which are not presenting try to determine which statement goes with which of the presenting group members.

After that the Virgin employees provide a 2 hour slideshow about the company and position, breaking down the position including pay and benefits. Pay is terrible. $20 an hour for your first year. You're paid for 75 hours a month regardless of whether or not you work that much. But you may work anywhere between 75-135 hours a month. The hourly is only paid between the time you take off to the time you land. It does NOT pay you while your waiting or preparing for flight. Per diem is $2 an hour which, from my understanding, is only paid when you are away from your home hub. Per diem is tax exempt. So let me provide an example to illustrate my understanding.

You're scheduled for a 1 hour flight from your home hub SFO to LAX. Once in LA, you experience a 4 hour delay for whatever reason. After the delay, you return back to SFO on another 1 hours flight. Your pay for that day is $48. $20 x 2 for the hour flights and $2x4 for the lay over.

After your first year, your hourly jumps to $23/hr and increases incrementally each year thereafter. After 8 years, you can expect to be making $33/hour. There are some incentive however. You can be scheduled as the In flight team lead which incurs an additional 15% of your hourly. And there's also another incentive for when they need you to cover a shift and it results in an additional $10/hour.

You can also expect to be on reserve for the first 2 years, meaning you are basically on call 24/7. Then, based upon seniority, you start to get more control over your schedule.

The benefits are awesome though, but too detailed for me to describe.

Once all the groups have presented and the Virgin employs have introduced the company, you're dismissed to the lobby where you wait for them to call you in individually for a 1:1 interview.

My interviewer asked me 5 questions:
Why are you looking to leave your current position?
What did you do to prepare for this interview?
Tell me about a time you had a difficult customer. How did you handle the situation?
Think about your current company culture. What would you change about it?
Do you have any questions for me?

The 1:1 interview lasted about 10-15 minutes. Then he thanked me and said I would hear back from them in 1-2 weeks to determine whether or not I've been selected to move forward.

Now I wait. We'll see what happens! Wish me luck! Virgin seems like a great, fun company!

Interview Question – Think about your current company culture. What would you change?   Answer Question

Flight Attendant Interview

Flight Attendant
Burlingame, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Virgin America in September 2013.

Interview Details – Apply online and then you will be contacted for a phone interview. If that goes well they will invite you for a f2f. You have to get yourself to SFO for the interview in Burlingame, CA. Dress professionally and have a smile on the whole time. Interact with the other applicants and the Virgin flight attendants, remember they are looking for a team player. They give you the rundown of the company, salary and how things basically work. You do a little group project. Be animated and incorporate everyone in your group (they are watching!) Then you do a one on one, they make you feel very comfortable and welcome its not intimidating at all. Remember to be positive!... about EVERYTHING, after all that's what flight attendants have to do!Show them you can take anything seemingly negative and make it a positive. The questions they ask set you up to easily give negative responses, this is a test! Read up on STAR questions and have some examples ready to pull from. Make yourself shine. Sell the best you. Also be prepared to answer "how you prepared for the interview" "why you will be best for this job". DO NOT be the slightest bit negative about where you currently work or any of your past employers. Flip answers to a positive and then relate it to Virgin and how exciting it is that they do it well... Unlike most airlines they don't necessarily offer you the job that day, so don't be discouraged.

Interview Question – What would you change about where you currently work?   View Answer

Worked for Virgin America? Contribute to the Community!