Virginia Commonwealth University Interview Questions

Updated Sep 4, 2014
Updated Sep 4, 2014

2.8

Finance Interview

Board interview of at least four people.Generic panel questions where they have to write answers to your questions and submit to hr. IF you don't get hired, won't tell you what you are lacking.

Any Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University.

When considering the position at the facility it is always professional. They didn't ask any trick questions and was very interested in the work i have done both past and future

Memorable

Fiscal Administrator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University.

Very bureaucratic. They have to interview at least three people even if they know who they want to hire. All employees must be asked the exact same questions.

Interview Questions
    • There were only questions pertinent to the job itself.   Answer Question
    No negotiations.

Tutor Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University.

You have to meet a specific criterium and fill out an application. Next, you sit with the coordinator and have an interview. I felt it was pretty easy going and straightforward.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University.

Referred by faculty. Had to submit resume and cover letter. Made it through initial screening, met with employer and had a half an hour interview. It was not as stressful as regular job interview because there was just one interviewer and she was quite nice and amicable. About a week after the interview, I was notified that me and 2 other students had made it to the final round and would be required to attend a meeting with the group. After the meeting, each of us was interviewed separately by group members. This was a bit more stressful since they basically went round the table asking questions.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you were in a team of people with wildly different personalities and work styles, and how did you handle it. Couldn't think of any examples, instead of giving up immediately i stumbled through a pooorly-worded answer that i can't even remember anymore   Answer Question

Lecturer/Speaker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Radford, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Radford, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University in May 2010.

Lectured for the Rehabilitation Research and Training Center and Partnership for People with Disabilities at the RU West Campus building (May, 2010).

An interaction between active and passive voices, based on a balance between informality and formality.

Security Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University in July 2011.

Applied online, didn't hear anything for a month or more then I got an out of the blue phone call. Did a quick phone interview, just basic questions was told that I'd hear back if they were interested. Heard back a week or so later, went in for an interview about a week after that.

Interviewed with one of the supervisors. Interview was fairly strait forward, was told that my references would be checked and they'd get back to me. All of my references were checked (though I believe they we're unable to reach at least one), and I was told to come back in for a background check (finger prints etc). After the background check I sort of assumed that I "had" the position but I didn't hear back for another 3 weeks. I contacted them several times and was told that certain HR people were on vacation and that was delaying the process. Finally got a call back and was told that training would take place in two weeks, I was also told that i would need to do a drug test before training (I was never explicitly told that I had the position during this time period).

Overall a very poor hiring experience. Time from application to hiring was at least 4 months, time from first contact to hiring was at least 3 months. Communication during the process was poor. I think it's worth mentioning that all of this was a for a part time position paying $8.25.

Hiring practice varies enormously from department to department, this occurred within the VCU Police Department.

Interview Questions
    • What's you're greatest weakness (I can't believe people still ask this stupid question).   View Answer
    None.

OMFS Post Doc Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University in October 2012.

4 interviewers, very conversational and relaxing

Lab Tech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University in January 2012.

Everyone around campus said it was hard to find research that pays, mostly this is true, but not if you go search at the MCV campus. I just walked into a research building and they asked if I was there for the lab tech interview, I said no. However, even with no knowledge or experience they asked if I wanted to work there because they were in urgent need of a lab tech. I got hired after 2 interviews (about a 2/3 week period). The first interview was over the phone to get background and basic information. The second interview was to come in and meet the faculty at the lab, tour, and a skills test.

Interview Questions
    • What experience to do you have working in a lab such as this one?   View Answer
    They offered to pay $10-14, I said $12 to take the median pay, and they accepted the offer and I accepted the job!

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University in March 2008.

The hiring and interview process was thorough determining if the candidate was a good fit for the department. They asked tough, but fair questions to truly get a sense for the applicant

Interview Questions

Worked for Virginia Commonwealth University? Contribute to the Community!