Virginia Commonwealth University

Updated Jan 25, 2015
Updated Jan 25, 2015

2.8

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University.

I applied in the first week of December, contacted the HR manager and followed up on the application. I called to find out when the position was getting filled and if I could schedule an interview. The HR manager asked me what position I applied for, I responded and hadn't heard back. I resent the email detailing the position I applied for and never heard back. It's been almost two months since I applied and I hadn't been contact so I emailed her. Very rude and inconsiderate to not notify anyone. Today I checked the position and it has been filled... for two weeks, despite me checking last week. They forgot to update the log and wasted two weeks of my time. The worst part is, I went to college here- beautiful how they treat their alumni like a paycheck and don't both to help. I will never pay alumni fees to them again nor will I recommend the school to ANY potential employee or student. VERY INCONSIDERATE HR TEAM.

Finance Interview

Board interview of at least four people.Generic panel questions where they have to write answers to your questions and submit to hr. IF you don't get hired, won't tell you what you are lacking.

Any Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University.

When considering the position at the facility it is always professional. They didn't ask any trick questions and was very interested in the work i have done both past and future

Memorable

Web Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University in August 2014.

Very smooth interview process that started with a request for interview after I submitted my application and resume online. The interview was the traditional panel type interview with basic questions ranging from "Why I want to work there" to "What to you know about online security". Nothing too difficult. Very friendly interviewers that made atmosphere fun and encouraging.

Interview Questions

Offer did not meet industry standards

Fiscal Administrator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University.

Very bureaucratic. They have to interview at least three people even if they know who they want to hire. All employees must be asked the exact same questions.

Interview Questions
    • There were only questions pertinent to the job itself.   Answer Question
    No negotiations.

Tutor Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University.

You have to meet a specific criterium and fill out an application. Next, you sit with the coordinator and have an interview. I felt it was pretty easy going and straightforward.

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University.

Referred by faculty. Had to submit resume and cover letter. Made it through initial screening, met with employer and had a half an hour interview. It was not as stressful as regular job interview because there was just one interviewer and she was quite nice and amicable. About a week after the interview, I was notified that me and 2 other students had made it to the final round and would be required to attend a meeting with the group. After the meeting, each of us was interviewed separately by group members. This was a bit more stressful since they basically went round the table asking questions.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you were in a team of people with wildly different personalities and work styles, and how did you handle it. Couldn't think of any examples, instead of giving up immediately i stumbled through a pooorly-worded answer that i can't even remember anymore   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University in May 2013.

Got introduced to the position from an employee. Met with the hiring manager before the position had been posted. Once the position was posted I applied and had an "actual" interview with the same lady. Then I was moved on to meet the head of the dept. After the final interview I hadn't heard back in about 3 months and was finally informed the position had been restructured and I would have to wait for it to be posted again. 5 months later the position was re-posted, I applied, and had to interview with the same lady, again. This time I did not have to meet anyone else and she said I should be moving forward. I was denied the position from HR and the hiring manager said she had no idea.

They strung me along for way too long just to say no,

OMFS Post Doc Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University in October 2012.

4 interviewers, very conversational and relaxing

Information Technology Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University in June 2012.

Hiring process takes a long time. They are a state organization but the HR department seems slower than most state organizations. The actual interview is average. They ask a series of questions to determine your basic skills both social and technical. Knowing someone to give you a recommendation will almost guarantee you an interview with most departments.

Interview Questions
    • I did not have any unexpected questions. It is a relatively straightforward processes. If you have a high level of confidence you should be fine.   Answer Question
    They are a state organization and HR will try to take advantage especially if you are a recent graduate. I recommend to negotiate for higher pay. At least 5% more than what they offer.