Virginia Commonwealth University

18 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Fiscal Administrator Interview

Fiscal Administrator

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University.

Interview Details – Very bureaucratic. They have to interview at least three people even if they know who they want to hire. All employees must be asked the exact same questions.

Interview Question – There were only questions pertinent to the job itself.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Tutor Interview

Tutor

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University.

Interview Details – You have to meet a specific criterium and fill out an application. Next, you sit with the coordinator and have an interview. I felt it was pretty easy going and straightforward.

Interview Question – Situational examples.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University.

Interview Details – Referred by faculty. Had to submit resume and cover letter. Made it through initial screening, met with employer and had a half an hour interview. It was not as stressful as regular job interview because there was just one interviewer and she was quite nice and amicable. About a week after the interview, I was notified that me and 2 other students had made it to the final round and would be required to attend a meeting with the group. After the meeting, each of us was interviewed separately by group members. This was a bit more stressful since they basically went round the table asking questions.

Interview Question – Give an example of when you were in a team of people with wildly different personalities and work styles, and how did you handle it. Couldn't think of any examples, instead of giving up immediately i stumbled through a pooorly-worded answer that i can't even remember anymore   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Lecturer/Speaker Interview

Lecturer/Speaker
Radford, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University in May 2010.

Interview Details – Lectured for the Rehabilitation Research and Training Center and Partnership for People with Disabilities at the RU West Campus building (May, 2010).

Negotiation Details – An interaction between active and passive voices, based on a balance between informality and formality.

Security Officer Interview

Security Officer
Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University in July 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online, didn't hear anything for a month or more then I got an out of the blue phone call. Did a quick phone interview, just basic questions was told that I'd hear back if they were interested. Heard back a week or so later, went in for an interview about a week after that.

Interviewed with one of the supervisors. Interview was fairly strait forward, was told that my references would be checked and they'd get back to me. All of my references were checked (though I believe they we're unable to reach at least one), and I was told to come back in for a background check (finger prints etc). After the background check I sort of assumed that I "had" the position but I didn't hear back for another 3 weeks. I contacted them several times and was told that certain HR people were on vacation and that was delaying the process. Finally got a call back and was told that training would take place in two weeks, I was also told that i would need to do a drug test before training (I was never explicitly told that I had the position during this time period).

Overall a very poor hiring experience. Time from application to hiring was at least 4 months, time from first contact to hiring was at least 3 months. Communication during the process was poor. I think it's worth mentioning that all of this was a for a part time position paying $8.25.

Hiring practice varies enormously from department to department, this occurred within the VCU Police Department.

Interview Question – What's you're greatest weakness (I can't believe people still ask this stupid question).   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None.

OMFS Post Doc Interview

OMFS Post Doc
Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University in October 2012.

Interview Details – 4 interviewers, very conversational and relaxing

Interview Question – Where else are you interviewing   Answer Question

Lab Tech Interview

Lab Tech
Richmond, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University in January 2012.

Interview Details – Everyone around campus said it was hard to find research that pays, mostly this is true, but not if you go search at the MCV campus. I just walked into a research building and they asked if I was there for the lab tech interview, I said no. However, even with no knowledge or experience they asked if I wanted to work there because they were in urgent need of a lab tech. I got hired after 2 interviews (about a 2/3 week period). The first interview was over the phone to get background and basic information. The second interview was to come in and meet the faculty at the lab, tour, and a skills test.

Interview Question – What experience to do you have working in a lab such as this one?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered to pay $10-14, I said $12 to take the median pay, and they accepted the offer and I accepted the job!

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student
Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University in March 2008.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was thorough determining if the candidate was a good fit for the department. They asked tough, but fair questions to truly get a sense for the applicant

Interview Question – What kind of research experience do you have?   Answer Question

Group Exercise Instructor Interview

Group Exercise Instructor
Richmond, VA

The process took a day - interviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University in April 2010.

Interview Details – Make sure your application ends up in the right hands. Mine was lost. I filled out another one and then was called in. I was given a panel interview by 3 student assistants. Then on the spot without warning they asked me to do a mock workout. They invited students in the building by announcing it over the loudspeaker. I started a routine with about 12 students who had come down for the class and before the warm-up was over (5 mins) another instructor showed up to teach a class, so we had to stop and leave 11 students with an incomplete workout. I was then hired on the spot. Strangest thing I ever went through.

Interview Question – What is your background in health and fitness   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I didn't really what they were paying, I wanted to teach and I wanted to teach at VCU.

Laboratory and Research Specialist Interview

Laboratory and Research Specialist
Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Virginia Commonwealth University in July 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with a research group at VCU's Massey Cancer Center. Immediately following the interview I received a phone call to confirm that I had received the job and am their selected candidate. Additionally, I would be receiving my offer details from Human Resources shortly. A week later, they changed their mind and opted for another candidate without any intimation. Human resources gave ambiguous responses and the researchers I worked with didnt respond to any correspondences. Highly unprofessional behaviour. I would not recommend this employer for anyone looking to establish a career in science.

Interview Question – Interview experience at VCU?   View Answer

Worked for Virginia Commonwealth University? Contribute to the Community!