Virginia Hospital Center

Updated Aug 22, 2014
Updated Aug 22, 2014

3.5

Case Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Virginia Hospital Center.

The hiring process was pretty efficient. Human resources was professional and appropriate. Right after applying online, I got a call within a few weeks. After the in person interview, I had to do a phone interview with a series of questions. They are pretty much yes or no responses (with some short answer), but it is kind of like a personality test to see if you would be appropriate for the job. A lot of the answers are common sense. Ex."What would you do if you saw an employee doing something wrong?" "How would you handle a disagreement with your supervisor?" etc.

It was a set starting salary and I was very happy with it.

RN Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online - interviewed at Virginia Hospital Center.

Ver involved interview process by HR, Supervisor of department, and staff in department. They hire a company to ask moral, decision making questions, that have no right or wrong answers?!

Interview Questions
    • I can't think of one in particular, but some were very leading as do you smile a lot?   Answer Question
    It was quite easy if you accept the offer. As in we can't do anything better.

Director of Radiology Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Virginia Hospital Center.

Interview process as follows:
    1 Behavioral Questions interview: Outside vendor
    1 phone interview: Director of HR
    1 onsite interview: including VP of HR, Director of Radiology Group, VP of Ancillary Services, COO
    2nd onsite interview: COO, CEO, VP of HR, Director of recruiting.

Interview Questions
    • Onsite interview were easy, the 1 hour and 15 minute behavioral questioning by an outside vendor was the most difficult part of all interviews.   Answer Question
    The range was very tight for this position, little negotiation took place.

Clinical Nurse Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Virginia Hospital Center.

Iniitial interview was done during an open house. It was harmless. I spoke to a couple of staff nurses and was then given a tour. I returned for another interview with the PCD.

Interview Questions
    • They didn't ask me any clinical scenarios...just your basic 'What do you do when you have a problem with a co-worker?'   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate although I should've had I known what I was getting myself into with the intense workload.

Patient Care Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Virginia Hospital Center in June 2012.

applied online & was contacted 2 days later for phone screen, passed phone screen and had the in person interview with hr to do paperwork and the patient care director, another w/ staff on the unit, then got invited to do the talent plus interview, called 6 days later w/ offer

Interview Questions
    I didn't have anything to negotiate

Manager/Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Virginia Hospital Center in February 2012.

Online application resulted in telephone interview lasting 45 minutes

Selected to interview face to face with HR Recruitment and have professional references and photo ID. Interviewed with 2 recruiters and had a tour of the hospital, took over 2 hours. Both recruiters were warm, friendly, optimistic and appear to believe they work for the best organization.

After passing the face to face interviews with HR, I was scheduled for a Talent Plus telephone interview that lasted nearly 90 minutes asking questions to gauge if my personality would be suitable working at Virginia Hospital Center. Some of the questions were personal and I felt uncomfortable with the style of the telephone interview as well as some of the questions. The Talent Plus interviewer was very impersonal and fired off questions very quickly. Told the hospital recruiter would follow up within 48 hours, but they would never release the results of the Talent Plus interview to me or tell my why I was not considered for a position. Even if they hired me, they still do not share the Talent Plus interview results.

It's been weeks & no response from them. Has not checked references or background check.

The Virginia Hospital Center bases all hires on their personalities, not necessarily the persons skills, education, qualifications or experience. You are not permitted to meet with the hiring managers unless you pass the Talent Plus interview. Very frustrating to go through all the interviews and the personality tests and get no feedback at all. If you don't pass the Talent Plus test, you are barred from future employment at this hospital. All internal staff must go through the same process for advancement or transfers, if they don't pass the Talent Plus, they are never considered suitable for advancement.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle departmental conflicts?   Answer Question
    • What would your reaction be if you witnessed a patient punch a nurse in the hallway?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you saw a young child hammer his finger & he started crying?   Answer Question

Staff Nurse Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Virginia Hospital Center in February 2012.

I was initially very impressed with this hospital. The location was perfect for me and the staff appeared to really like working there. By the time the interview process was all said and done, however, I'm convinced all the staff there are robots.

I applied online. Before I even could type in my personal information, a screen popped up saying I had to agree to their by-laws or whatever, which seemed over the top but doable. So I submitted my application and was contacted by HR. A quick phone screening went well and I proceeded to the in person interview.

The entire in-person interview lasted 2.5 hours. I met with HR first where I handed over copies of all my credentials, my reference list, and consented for a background check. I then met with the department head for a few minutes and then went on to a peer interview. Both of these interviews didn't appear to be well planned. The department head only asked 2 questions before selecting me for the "talent plus interview" and moving me off to the peer interview. When I arrived at the peer interview, it was performed at the nurses station (rather than a private room) and the "peers" were often distracted because they had patients to watch during all of this as well, which in turn distracted me. When that was over I went to do the urine drug test and left.

When I got home I called to schedule the talent plus interview. Everybody was rather vague about it and I got the distinct sense they didn't want you to know anything about it. My interview was set up for a few days after the interview. It was a very odd, 45 min. long series of robotic questions asking if I'm a happy person, and situation type questions, like if I ever question authority etc. I answered honestly...No, I'm not always happy, and yes, I question authority depending on the situation. At the end of the interview I was told a decision would be made in about a week.

A week comes and goes and I hear nothing. I let a couple more days pass before calling HR to inquire, as I had another offer needing an answer. The HR person told me a decision had not been made and did not have a timeline on when one would. The next day I checked my mailbox and found an abrupt "thanks but no thanks" letter, that had, get this, been postmarked before I made the call to HR.

I now consider it a blessing in disguise that things didn't work out with this hospital. I could understand just receiving a letter if it was the initial stages of an application, but I clearly went through the entire process and spent almost 4 hours interviewing. I also can't understand why the HR girl would tell me my application was still under review when clearly a decision had already been dropped in the mail. I'm convinced the only thing this hospital cares about is hiring people who are willing to sugarcoat everything that comes out of their mouth. I consider myself to be a good nurse; I have been told by my coworkers that I am a great nurse, I've never had any disciplinary actions and I always make sure I provide quality care. My background was never checked and my 3 good references were never even phoned. The sole qualifier here is how well you are able to BS the talent plus interview, because that is all they are looking for: someone who can BS.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your customer service skills.   View Answer

Worked for Virginia Hospital Center? Contribute to the Community!