Virginia Hospital Center

1 Interview Review

5.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Staff Nurse Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Virginia Hospital Center in February 2012.

I was initially very impressed with this hospital. The location was perfect for me and the staff appeared to really like working there. By the time the interview process was all said and done, however, I'm convinced all the staff there are robots.

I applied online. Before I even could type in my personal information, a screen popped up saying I had to agree to their by-laws or whatever, which seemed over the top but doable. So I submitted my application and was contacted by HR. A quick phone screening went well and I proceeded to the in person interview.

The entire in-person interview lasted 2.5 hours. I met with HR first where I handed over copies of all my credentials, my reference list, and consented for a background check. I then met with the department head for a few minutes and then went on to a peer interview. Both of these interviews didn't appear to be well planned. The department head only asked 2 questions before selecting me for the "talent plus interview" and moving me off to the peer interview. When I arrived at the peer interview, it was performed at the nurses station (rather than a private room) and the "peers" were often distracted because they had patients to watch during all of this as well, which in turn distracted me. When that was over I went to do the urine drug test and left.

When I got home I called to schedule the talent plus interview. Everybody was rather vague about it and I got the distinct sense they didn't want you to know anything about it. My interview was set up for a few days after the interview. It was a very odd, 45 min. long series of robotic questions asking if I'm a happy person, and situation type questions, like if I ever question authority etc. I answered honestly...No, I'm not always happy, and yes, I question authority depending on the situation. At the end of the interview I was told a decision would be made in about a week.

A week comes and goes and I hear nothing. I let a couple more days pass before calling HR to inquire, as I had another offer needing an answer. The HR person told me a decision had not been made and did not have a timeline on when one would. The next day I checked my mailbox and found an abrupt "thanks but no thanks" letter, that had, get this, been postmarked before I made the call to HR.

I now consider it a blessing in disguise that things didn't work out with this hospital. I could understand just receiving a letter if it was the initial stages of an application, but I clearly went through the entire process and spent almost 4 hours interviewing. I also can't understand why the HR girl would tell me my application was still under review when clearly a decision had already been dropped in the mail. I'm convinced the only thing this hospital cares about is hiring people who are willing to sugarcoat everything that comes out of their mouth. I consider myself to be a good nurse; I have been told by my coworkers that I am a great nurse, I've never had any disciplinary actions and I always make sure I provide quality care. My background was never checked and my 3 good references were never even phoned. The sole qualifier here is how well you are able to BS the talent plus interview, because that is all they are looking for: someone who can BS.

Interview Questions
  • Describe your customer service skills.   View Answer