Virginia Tech

2.9

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Undisclosed Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Virginia Tech in December 2014.

It took over a month to be called in for an interview. I received an email to say that I would interview with the hiring manager. When I got on the phone it was a panel interview with 7 people; I was suprised. Seems like a waste of resources. I received an email a couple days later that they wanted to interview me in person. When I spoke to the person scheduling the interview she said it would be 4 hours long and require a 20 minute presentation (job only pays 50-55K yr). I was informed that the only time slot available was Friday morning. It is Tuesday and I have a full-time job with priorities after work as I am meeting with clients. Long story short, I learned that Monday had available time slots and I missed them. How in the world is it fair to me that others get an extra net 3 days worth of prep-time? I would tell them this when I withdrawl from consideration, but, if they have such an oversight in their scheduling process, they most certainly will not realize that others had more prep-time. They would also think "they" dodges a bullet and weeded out a weak candidate, but that is not true. I am removing myself from consideration. the US based interviewing process is flawed...especially in companies who think they are "special"

Interview Questions
    • they asked me about workplace diversity.   View Answer

Heart now set on VT at such low salaries.

Academic Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Virginia Tech in August 2014.

Very quick process, took about a month (which, yes, is fast in higher education). Did not end up receiving an offer but each part of the process (including travel coordination and flexibility around my schedule with a big trip having already been planned) was handled punctually and professionally. I was very impressed with the entire process.

Interview Questions
    • How do you define success and how do you expect to execute that in this position, if given the opportunity?   View Answer

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Virginia Tech.

Brought in on campus visit. Met with three department heads/institute directors to discuss opportunities in their area. Also met with College Dean to review CV.

Interview Questions
    • Please write up you ideal position with job tasks spelled out.   Answer Question
    No negotiation - take it or leave it.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Virginia Tech.

One phone interview and on-site interview

Applications Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Virginia Tech.

* Was contacted by admin assistant for onsite interview, no phone interview (the position was only for local applicants so it made sense).
    * Had an on-site interview with 3 members of E.S.
    * Asked general questions about my background, nothing very technical at all.
    * Mostly open ended questions about I.T. related things.
    * Got an offer within the next week and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • What type of encryption do you use for your applications?   Answer Question
    Asked for more money. They called back with 1 day and accepted so I accepted.

Public Relations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Virginia Tech in January 2013.

Virginia Tech has a very thorough hiring process. For each position, they have a grid of the bullet points mentioned in the ad. They check off the bullet points for each resume. From what I have heard, only the top three matches get interviews, so make sure your application addresses each requirement in detail. The university sent me a large packet of information to study before a telephone interview with three participants. Then they brought me in for a round of face-to-face interviews, both in a group setting and individually. We paused for lunch and continued the interview process. It was very civil, with plenty of opportunity for getting to know each other and the environment. I was impressed.

Interview Questions
    • Virginia Tech will want to know your ideas for doing things in a better or more innovative way. "What would you do differently?" is a question you might get.   View Answer

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Virginia Tech in December 2012.

Apply online submit resume notified of request for interview, initial interview with human resources, second interview with panel, defend resume (over a period of two weeks) received an offer about two week later.

Interview Questions
    • What action, in your work environment, do regret most?   Answer Question

Student Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Virginia Tech in August 2012.

Everything was very professional. Had two phone interviews and received an offer

No negotiation.

Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Virginia Tech in February 2012.

contacted the prof through email

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Virginia Tech in October 2011.

Interview consisted one on one with the PI of the lab. No formal procedure

Interview Questions
    • I was switching fields so the question related to why I was interested in this particular job with a very different background. Also whether I wanted to be in industry or academia   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate. The job had a fixed salary