Virginia Tech

Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Assistant Interview

Graduate Assistant
Blacksburg, VA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Virginia Tech in August 2011.

Interview Details – Cover letter and resume. Then I went through one interview. After which I was called and I accepted the position. It had good benefits and a good schedule for being in school.

Interview Question – I do not remember, because it was a long time ago.   Answer Question

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Human Resources Assistant
Blacksburg, VA

I applied online - interviewed at Virginia Tech in December 2012.

Interview Details – Apply online submit resume notified of request for interview, initial interview with human resources, second interview with panel, defend resume (over a period of two weeks) received an offer about two week later.

Interview Question – What action, in your work environment, do regret most?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no

Public Relations Specialist Interview

Public Relations Specialist
Blacksburg, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Virginia Tech in January 2013.

Interview Details – Virginia Tech has a very thorough hiring process. For each position, they have a grid of the bullet points mentioned in the ad. They check off the bullet points for each resume. From what I have heard, only the top three matches get interviews, so make sure your application addresses each requirement in detail. The university sent me a large packet of information to study before a telephone interview with three participants. Then they brought me in for a round of face-to-face interviews, both in a group setting and individually. We paused for lunch and continued the interview process. It was very civil, with plenty of opportunity for getting to know each other and the environment. I was impressed.

Interview Question – Virginia Tech will want to know your ideas for doing things in a better or more innovative way. "What would you do differently?" is a question you might get.   View Answer

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist
Blacksburg, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Virginia Tech.

Interview Details – Brought in on campus visit. Met with three department heads/institute directors to discuss opportunities in their area. Also met with College Dean to review CV.

Interview Question – Please write up you ideal position with job tasks spelled out.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation - take it or leave it.

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist
Blacksburg, VA

I applied online and interviewed at Virginia Tech.

Interview Details – One phone interview and on-site interview

Very Easy Interview

Applications Analyst Interview

Applications Analyst
Blacksburg, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Virginia Tech.

Interview Details – * Was contacted by admin assistant for onsite interview, no phone interview (the position was only for local applicants so it made sense).
* Had an on-site interview with 3 members of E.S.
* Asked general questions about my background, nothing very technical at all.
* Mostly open ended questions about I.T. related things.
* Got an offer within the next week and accepted.

Interview Question – What type of encryption do you use for your applications?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Asked for more money. They called back with 1 day and accepted so I accepted.

Research Intern Interview

Research Intern
Blacksburg, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Virginia Tech in February 2012.

Interview Details – contacted the prof through email

Very Easy Interview

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant
Blacksburg, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Virginia Tech in January 2009.

Interview Details – Checked background knowledge about Bio-informatics, biological simulation and biology. Then explained precious projects. Theory, simulation tools, used machine, simulation tools and results were asked. Lots of questions were done tail by tail during explanation. After then, explained the project that employer is related. Then asked to describe an idea how to do the project based on my previous experience.

Interview Question – Understanding the NSF project.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negitiation

Student Employee Interview

Student Employee
Blacksburg, VA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Virginia Tech in August 2012.

Interview Details – Everything was very professional. Had two phone interviews and received an offer

Interview Question – WHat was your hardest job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant
Blacksburg, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Virginia Tech in February 2011.

Interview Details – After I got accepted into the school, I was allowed to interview professors and chose the one I wanted to work with. I met with three professors and then picked the advisor I wanted to work with. It was a great experience. I was also allowed to explore the lab area and ask students about their advisers.

Interview Question – What projects do you have the most interest in?   Answer Question

Worked for Virginia Tech? Contribute to the Community!