Virginia Tech Interview Questions

Updated Oct 1, 2014
Updated Oct 1, 2014

2.9

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Virginia Tech.

Professor asked me about my previous research experience and how it relates to my graduate degree ambition. He also asked about my end-goal, i.e. a masters or a phd degree.
    Finally he went to explore the ongoing research topics at his lab.

GTA Interview

Short Interview for TA position. Had to prepare a short presentation. Short Interview for TA position. Had to prepare a short presentation.Short Interview for TA position. Had to prepare a short presentation.

Intern Interview

Easy and Friendly. Dress in Business attire and the Virginia Tech Carer Service Center is Also able to help prep you before your actual interview via appointment or walk in

Academic Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blacksburg, VA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Virginia Tech in August 2014.

Very quick process, took about a month (which, yes, is fast in higher education). Did not end up receiving an offer but each part of the process (including travel coordination and flexibility around my schedule with a big trip having already been planned) was handled punctually and professionally. I was very impressed with the entire process.

Interview Questions
    • How do you define success and how do you expect to execute that in this position, if given the opportunity?   View Answer

Instructor Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Virginia Tech in June 2014.

I applied for a full time instructor position with Virginia Tech's English Department. The close date for applications was 5/30 and candidates were contacted in mid June. I was contacted June 16th to set up a Skype interview with a 6 person hiring committee. My Skype interview was scheduled for June 30th. The interview went very well. I was questioned by each member of the committee and afterward I was told I would be "notified within 2 weeks either way." Come August 6th, I realized I had heard nothing back on the position, and the start date was to be August 10th. I sent an email asking the status of the position and received no response. Today, one month from sending the email, the status of the job changed to "Position Filled" and my followup email remains unanswered. I feel it is highly unprofessional of this institution to fail to follow through when a candidate is told they will hear back within 2 weeks. Even a form email notifying candidates of the position being filled would be more appropriate than no contact or response at all. If you apply to a teaching position with Virginia Tech, be aware you may not be notified if you are no longer being considered for the job.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question I received was regarding diversity in the classroom. I did not prepare to answer this question and had to offer my response on the fly because I have always taught for highly diverse colleges and had never thought about speaking to teaching differently in a diverse environment since it is all I know.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Virginia Tech.

Three posdocs conducted the interview. Questions were based on your resume.

Physics TA Interview

A phone interview was made before hiring.

Student Interview

Submitted application, went to Corps of Cadets program Orientation.

Lab Technician Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Virginia Tech.

Very descriptive initial email and prompt response. Post interview took several weeks to hear back though

Interview Questions
    • What qualities do you most and least value in a supervisor.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Virginia Tech.

Three round interview- first on the phone with committee (5 people), in person with committee, then on phone with director only

No negotiation