Visa Inc.

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Visa Inc.

Interview Details – The hiring manager took the diligence to contact me and get to know my strength and experience. This is rare and most hiring managers didn't get the opportunity to do so because HR won't let it happen. You can't relax unless you already knew these people. This trumps diversity and you're expected to manage upwards. If you can please the top guy, then you shouldn't have any problem in getting hired.

Interview Question – The interview process is not about understanding your ability, but more to see if you can be a fit. That's a challenge unless you already know "how" to speak up. I was asked for an experience that is not listed in the job description, which is generic and vague to begin with, and no wonder I was not qualified. They also make you meet with several stakeholders and partners though it only matters if the top guy says "yes" so it's kind of a waste of time. Find someone via linkedin before interview so you can be prepared to see who you're dealing with.   Answer Question

Foster City, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Visa Inc..

Interview Details – 4 rounds of interviews with hiring manager, peers, other functional SMEs - included 2 different presentations. Took about 3 weeks all-in.

Interview Question – Case study on related subject matter   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Minimal, they offered some additional sign-on.

Business Leader

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Visa Inc..

Interview Details – Two interviews - one with the direct manager in the US over the phone, and the other with the local site manager face-to-face. The one with the US manager was very brief - some questions on my work experience and CV, the rest of the time spent on explaining what is required from the role. With the local site manager, it was a longer interview but again, less time spent on work experience and more time on explaining the team structure. Some situational questions but nothing too challenging. Much easier interview process compared to International Banks.

Interview Question – How did you deal with a difficult situation in the past?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is some room for salary negotiation, but very little - Visa relies a lot on its brand name to attract people, and salaries offered are generally at market rate already.

Interviewed at Visa Inc.

Interview Details – Had in-person, one-on-one interviews with 7 people, 30 minutes each. Questions ranged on why I wanted the job to specific experience regarding the core job responsibilities.

Interview Question – How does Visa derive revenue?   Answer Question

San Mateo, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Visa Inc. in April 2013.

Interview Details – Phone screener with recruiter, two onsite visits all spread out over a month. Onsite visits lasted several hours. Some interviews in conference rooms, some in offices, and some over the phone. Most interview questions not terribly substantive and more general probing why I want to leave my current position, etc.

Interview Question – Questions regarding my current work and my desire to relocate. A few technical questions from the potential direct supervisor.   Answer Question

Foster City, CA

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Visa Inc. in April 2012.

Interview Details – The HR manager contacted me within days after I submitted my application for the job posting, and had a phone interview with the HR within a day or two (week #1). A week later (week #2) an HR coordinator scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager (week #3), which followed by an in person interview (week #5). Had a final interview with the big boss (week #7), and received a call from the HR manager (week #8) to be informed that they have selected another candidate. Disappointed for not getting the job offer, but at least I had a closure.

Interview Question – Are you willing to relocate.   Answer Question

Foster City, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Visa Inc. in May 2009.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR, then met three senior business leaders 1on1

Interview Question – Please describe a risk-based capital allocation methodology   Answer Question

Business Leader

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Visa Inc. in August 2012.

Interview Details – Applied for a job and was contacted by HR a few days later, but then played phone tags with HR person for over a week before finally getting to the HR screening interview. At the end of the screening, the HR person set up a phone interview with the hiring manager for the next day.

Interview Question – Overall, hiring manager was not a skilled interviewer. He didn't present the position when he started the interview, as many hiring managers do. I find that it is always great to hear the job description from the hiring manager as written job descriptions can sometimes be misleading or do not articulate clearly key requirements for the job. Instead, he started with a generic question, to which he had a specific answer in mind; however I didn't realize it until it was too late. Not ideal to start an interview!   Answer Question

Business Leader

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Visa Inc. in May 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online for the Business Leader position and was called for a phone interview within a week. Spoke with the recruiter whom I found pleasent about the position and my qualifications. Spent a long time foucsing on what she thought was the uniqueness of the position, almost to a point where I felt she was waiting for me to say I was no longer interested. Two weeks later I received a phone call on a saturday afternoon from a different recruiter to schedule a second phone interview this time with the hiring manager. The interview was scheduled with a conference call number. I dialed in at the appropriate time but the hiring manager never showed up. Eventually the conferencing system disconnected me. I immediately informed the recuriter who rescheduled me, but did not offer an explination or an appology. Finally I had the phone interview with the hiring manager who like the first recruiter spent most of the 30 minute phone call telling about the uniqueness of the position... again to the point where I felt like they were really just trying to scare potentials away. The following week I was asked to fly interview in San Francisco, which entailed Visa flying me out. The interview was scheduled for a Monday, but the Monday before it was cancelled for "scheduling" conflicts. Two weeks later I was reschedule. Visa flew me out and put me up in a nice hotel. I interviewed with 3 people (2 HR people and the hiring manager for 45 minutes each) in succession. The first HR person spent the entire time talking about how in her view Visa was a unique environment. The hiring manager spent most of the time reititering what was said during the phone interview. Very little was asked of me, and no direct questions were posed about how I would handle a situation, respond to something, etc. I was told I woild receive a follow-up by the end of the following week, and possibly a fourth interview would be scheduled. After three weeks I emailed the recruiter who told me they hadn't made a decision yet, but by the end of the following they would. That was five weeks ago, and 4 months from the initial phone interiew and I still haven't received a follow-up one way or the other.

Interview Question – Are you comfortable working in a vague environment?   Answer Question

Business Leader

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Visa Inc. in April 2009.

Interview Details – interview process was really fast and really professional. human resoeurces moved quickley trhou therpcoess and had the opportunity to interwview not only with hiring manager, but peers and heas of the area. offer came back after 3 weeks an two rounds of interviews.

Interview Question – size the market opportunity for a fictional product   Answer Question

Worked for Visa Inc.? Contribute to the Community!