Visa Inc. Senior Business Leader Interview Questions

2.5

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Visa Inc..

Interview process was not difficult. It actually went really well. In fact, I was told before I left that they were going to hire me, they gave me the benefits package and said welcome to Visa. This was on a Friday and the HR recruiter said he would get back to me on Monday with the offer letter. Monday came and went. I had to call him a week later just to find out they decided to go with someone else.

I would recommend they do not give false hope and "offer" positions to candidates before a decision is final.

Other Interview Reviews for Visa Inc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Visa Inc..

Contacted by a 3rd party recruiter, phone interview with hiring manager and HR at Visa, followed by onsite interviews with Hiring Manager, HR, and Strategy Office. Offer process took several weeks, all verbal via recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • There was nothing unexpected or difficult, mostly discussed my specific background and the proposed role, the current state at Visa (this was a new position), and how I might fit. They spent more time selling me the job than I had to sell actually myself. I was very surprised that the negotiation process went as it did; they stated repeatedly that they base compensation on the local market as opposed to the actual value the candidate may bring, and in the case of relocation candidates they do not do any cost of living adjustments.   Answer Question

Salary not enough to warrant relocation to bay area

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Highlands Ranch, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Highlands Ranch, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Visa Inc. in June 2011.

This was a very quick process. This is a senior (VP) role and interviews were done with key business leadership. The direct team interviews were compulsory but even they were smooth. The key topics were around the business of the company and company fit. There is an expectation that a technical employee know many different levels and types of systems and solutions. There is a well tenured employee base that has very specific roles and deep knowledge levels (they created the systems). They are looking for people who did not challenge their points of view nor come across as change agents.

Interview Questions
    • What are your feelings on best of breed in vendor selections?   View Answer
    Terrible. My recruiter was on the way out and did little to help my cause. I did ok in the end but it took forever and the personalization was not as expected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Visa Inc. in February 2011.

My interview process was unusually fast for Visa. I was referred to the hiring manager by a colleague whom I had worked with in the past. After contact via email and phone we scheduled an interview at a nearby coffee shop. We talked for 2+ hours. It was clear to both of us that I my experience and skills were a good fit for the position. The next step was 3 interviews to meet other leaders in the area that I would be working in. All worked out well and I was offered the position - all in about 10 days.

Interview Questions
    • Are you familiar with how Visa's business works?   View Answer
    • Are you familiar with Visa's culture?   View Answer
    The initial offer was good so the negotiation hinged on me getting some upfront bonus to make up for what I was leaving on the table with my former employer. In hindsight, due to the unique requirements of my position I could have asked for 10% more in salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Visa Inc. in September 2011.

1 call screen with HR, 1 call screen with hiring manager, 1 day of interviews with all team members. Offer came within a week of meetings. Having a competing offer at the same time accelerated the process. Very well organized and friendly work culture with all people involved. Top of the line.

Interview Questions
    • provide a sample of how you would provide a global strategy for the product involved?   Answer Question
    Very short. Negotiated small increase of 2% on salary. Advise being bold about salary expectations at the outset.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Visa Inc. in July 2010.

Interviews are short - 30 minutes, and there is very little time to engage with the interviewer. My sense is that decisions are made pretty quickly. So, if you have 5 things to say about yourself, make sure you bring them up during the interview one way or another, b/c time will run out.

There is a lot of attention paid to prior experience in the payment space, event though in reality, few people at Visa have worked in that space prior to Visa, anyway.

Most of the job postings are actually created to convert contractors, so even if a role sounds/looks perfect for you, you never know if you're going against an internal candidate who's basically already been vetted.

Office is sterile, as are most of the personalities there. The ones secure in their roles will be more real and open, but in general, you're looking at packaged questions along the lines of "tell me a time..." that corresponds directly to the job posting.

Be VERY careful who the hiring manager is and as much as you can, try to find out anything about him/her, because your fortunes at Visa can turn on a dime, and it does not matter how qualified or good you are, you could be scrutinized for petty things.

Try to avoid groups where new leadership (or leadership without Visa experience) has been placed. Those groups are stress chambers, each manager trying to position him/herself in a way to look to good. The product group is one of those, for instance.

Interview Questions
    Had room to negotiate. I was asked to apply for a Sr. Business Leader role, then was offered a Business Leader role. After I turned it down, they offered me the Sr. Business Leader role, and I accepted. If you really think that you are Sr. Business Leader level, don't take the Business Leader role. It's nearly impossible to get promoted, no matter what you are told in the negotiation phase. My impression is that it takes several years and participation on some very important and visible projects to make that leap, and even that is not a guarantee, because there is basically one major reorg each year.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Visa Inc. in February 2009.

HR screening; 1:1

Senior Business Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Visa Inc. in January 2010.

Completely chaotic, random and very long (6 months is not unsual). Was interviewed for and was offered a job verbally, and received a contract for a totally different geography!

Interview Questions
    • None. Interviewers had no subject matter expertise whatsoever.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Senior Business Leader Interview

I submitted my resume online & was contacted by the HR manger for a phone interview within 3 weeks of my online submisson. HR setup a conference call with HR manager and the Hiring manager which was quite extensive.. They scheduled a face to interview with 6 executives and the hiring manager. It was scheduled & then at the last minute a HR manager tells me the interview was cancelled because job title changed..
    Not sure what that was about.. The job may have been filled or other candidates were found but still I would have expected a better answer such as "we are looking at other candidates"... explanation of job title changed seemed odd.
    I was told the HR manager would get in touch with me. but still no response..

Interview Questions
    • How do you manage employees?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at VIsa? What experience do you have on working on these projects?   Answer Question

Senior Business Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Visa Inc. in July 2009.

Interview consisted of 3 separate 1 hour interviews with HR and with 2 members of senior management. It was clear they were going through the motions despite me having the exact qualifications and experience to move in to this position. No feedback was given to HR by the 2 senior managers, HR took 6 weeks to notify me that I had not passed to the second round and their criteria for selection who went to the second round were based on one person only - very poor technique and very amateurish.

Worked for Visa Inc.? Contribute to the Community!