Vista Equity Partners

Updated Apr 9, 2015

2.8

Senior Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vista Equity Partners (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

Take assessment. Passed it. Interview Take assessment again. Interview with hiring manager and then briefly with team members who asked 1 or 2 questions about what past employers would say about you. That was it. No feedback and a complete waste of time. Not bitter about getting an offer, but constructive feedback should be standard with the testing, and time consuming process.

Interview Questions

• They asked random questions that had nothing to do with recruiting. Mostly to do with hobbies, educational background, money looking for. Interviewer kept interrupting and changing topics that had nothing to do with a standard Sr recruiter ; metrics, closing candidates, pipelines, sourcing methods, etc.   1 Answer

Consulting Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vista Equity Partners (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a response within 24 hours that they wanted to move forward in the process. Step one was to complete an online assessment, then based on those results, they may or may not contact me. I did received a follow-up about 3 business days later for a phone interview with a recruiter. The next steps were to then have an additional phone interview, if the managing director wanted to move forward, followed by an in person interview. I did not move forward with the managing director.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your last position. How does that translate for this job? What challenges do you see in this position based on your skills?   Answer Question

PE Analyst Interview

Interview

Aptitude and personality test followed by phone interview and onsite.
    Phone interview consisted of - why PE? why Vista Equity Partners? Tell me about your self and your experience in detail.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Vista Equity Partners in October 2014.

Interview

When I arrived for the interview, I was told that the interviewerees were "called into an all-hands meeting" and didn't have time to meet with me. It would've been nice if they could've called me in advance to cancel the interview, thus saving me time (I certainly don't live 10 miles away) and money on gas, tolls and $19 of parking. I don't understand this unprofessional behavior and find it completely rude and disrespectful.

Furthermore, after not having the interview, I was called several days later and told that they decided to go with someone else, even though they never interviewed me. It makes me wonder if I didn't fit in or didn't have a certain look that they were expecting, even though I was wearing a suit, groomed well, etc.. How could they possibly make that decision without really interviewing me?

Vista Hiring Process Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Vista Equity Partners.

Interview

As a candidate, the recruiting process with Vista was streamlined and efficient. The Recruiter was able to give me timelines and set accurate expectations throughout the entire process. The process was kept moving swiftly and efficiently from beginning to end with no unexpected surprised.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vista Equity Partners in October 2014.

Interview

After applying online, I received a link to an online aptitude and personality test. The aptitude test included basic finance math (leverage, easy DCF, WACC related, etc) as well as problem and pattern solving. Once that was completed, I was contacted via email for a phone interview. The interview had no technical questions. The guy was very nice and essentially had me walk through my resume, talk about my experience, and why I was interested in the firm. After that, I had a second phone interview. This guy was friendly, but did not seem as interested. Perhaps they have already selected someone? At one point he asked me what PE was and I included an example of turning around an unprofitable firm; he then proceeded to semi-lecture me about how PE was not only involved with unprofitable firms, but I CLEARLY stated that PE firms work to improve firms, such as unprofitable ones, and they also work with profitable firms...So it wasn't very reassuring that I so obviously did not have his full attention. Still, it was once again talking about my resume and my interest in PE and the firm, so nothing technical. Unsurprisingly, I was not invited back for a final round, which was to be located at their Texas location.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Vista Equity Partners in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online and within 2 days received an email to take an online test. There was no communication, email, phone call or response prior to that which I found interesting. The online test was a basic personality and skills assessment (math and english questions). It took about 20 - 30 minutes.

Thereafter I received an email from one of their recruiters asking to meet. We agreed on a time and when I called she was on the phone with someone else so I had to wait a few minutes, nothing major. She proceeded to ask me questions related to my job search and background. She was specific regarding the software I had experience with and though I was happy to answer I found it excessive as she kept repeating the question over and over. I'm not sure why that was relevant considering I had already answered.

The turning point was when she told me that I needed to give her my salary for each job. I usually don't have a problem answering this question, but when I declined to give her every single detail she stated that she couldn't do her job if I didn't tell her. If VEP is so worried about what I made in previous designations then they're not focusing on my skills. I let her know that I was declining to answer further questions and that it was best for us to conclude.

Interview Questions

• None. I was able to answer all of the questions but declined to be grilled over my salary. It's personal and none of their business if they already have a range for the position.   Answer Question

Recruiting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Vista Equity Partners (Chicago, IL) in July 2014.

Interview

Received a Phone Interview and an In-Person Interview.

Was told on the phone before 12pm that they would like to invite me for an in-person interview. They promised that they would confirm the schedule and instructions within 30 minutes to 1 hour via email.

Strike One: Did not receive this confirmation email till about 24+ hours later, even though I was told I would receive it within the hour.

Strike Two: Went to the interview, the two individuals that were scheduled to interview me did not do so, because they had a meeting to attend. (You would think that since it took longer to get the confirmation, that the interviewers could at least make it.) Only one individual interviewed me, and she was not prepared to do so. It clearly was a last minute situation to 'pull her in.' With that being said, she could not answer some questions I had about the position, since she wasn't too familiar with what the position entailed.

I sent thank you notes after the interview and asked if one could be forwarded along, since she did not have a business card on her when I asked for one. I received no reply as to whether this thank you letter was even forwarded on to the appropriate individual.

Strike Three: I was told to contact them within the middle of the next week if I did not hear back. I did so, and have not received a reply still. I see that they keep 'reposting' the job listing, but a courtesy reply back saying I did not get the position is the professional thing to do instead of leaving me wondering.

In conclusion, organization, communication, and respect are things that need to be worked on at Vista.

I am not reviewing them poorly based out of spite, but any respectable professional HR department would keep an applicant informed on what is going on if the applicant makes an inquiry when they were told to. Especially if the position was in their very own HR department. I believe that anyone interested in applying for a position should be made aware.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vista Equity Partners (Austin, TX).

Interview

I filled out an application online, and was emailed a link to an online aptitude test. The test was easy, and more or less a waste of time, but I was not as offended by it as another user was. I then received an email requesting that I send them the times that I was available for a telephone interview during the next two days, which I did. A week later, when I still had yet to hear back from them and was about to email an inquiry as to my status, I received a form email saying that they were pursuing other candidates. They didn't even bother to customize the email with my name, much less tell me why they offered me an interview but then rejected me without conducting it. I saw a few other users here say that they are not the most courteous with interview scheduling, so my main take away would to absolutely not waste your time researching this company until you are about to walk in the door for an interview, as just because they have offered you one does not mean you will actually get it. Personally, I would think twice about working for a company whose HR department thinks it is okay to treat people this way.

Interview Questions

• The online aptitude test was somewhat unexpected, but quite easy.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vista Equity Partners (Chicago, IL) in May 2013.

Interview

They got back after a few days, then a few weeks of phone, in house, and more phone interviews. Basic questions, a really nice in house staff. HR decided to forget to tell me that they removed the position altogether, which is a bummer, but overall it was a pleasant experience with the actual associates and managers. They seemed really sweet but understaffed at the time and HR a bit of a mess.

Interview Questions

• Things like explain why Vista, etc. Make sure you know their company.   Answer Question