Vistaprint

Updated Feb 22, 2015
Updated Feb 22, 2015

3.2

Senior Associate, Marketing Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Vistaprint in July 2011.

This was one of the worst interviewing experiences I have encountered. 4 hours of interviews stacked back to back. That is fine, been there done that but generally people take the time to ask you if you need water, a break or just a general pulse on how you are holding up.

Interview Questions
    • You are asked to problem solve a scenario they describe to you in no or little details.   View Answer

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Vistaprint in December 2009.

Let me preface this that it is not the interview process I had a problem with it was the fact that 4 professionals could not agree on what they wanted and, the fact that it seemed that the feedback I recieved on my interview seemed completely out of touch with things that I said during the interview.

Vista print contacted me about an opportunity they were looking to fill (and had been looking to fill at that point for about 5 months). In a bad economy with a lot of people out of work this shouldn't have been a problem to fill the job slot, but because it was right around the Christmas Holidays they wanted to get me in ASAP otherwise I might miss the opportunity.

A lot of hurry up and wait.

The interview consisted of meeting with 4 individuals including my would be boss. At that point I was asked a broad question about how I would come up with the answer and to present a possible solution.

When I heard back from the HR person I was completely floored when she said that the feedback she received on me indicated that I had never visited their website?!?! I attempted to explain that this wasn't at all the case, I had in fact visited their website but was asked if I had every bought anything from them which, I had not. She brushed it off as being a miscommunication. (I certainly won't be buying anything from them now!)

I liked the hiring manager a lot and I thought I would have worked well with her. It's a shame that in the end things got all jumbled up and that they had spent so much time vetting and looking for the 'right person'. The feedback from HR is what left a really bad taste in my mouth about this company. Shame, really a shame.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Vistaprint in April 2012.

This was one of the longest and useless interviews I have ever experienced. I had initially applied online and was contacted after one week by HR for a phone screen. After one more week I was asked to phone interview with the hiring manager and so I did and we spoke for approximately 45 minutes. The conversation went well but I never heard anything from them for about one month later. Apparently they had several candidates go through the entire process but could not find a match (red flag!). The HR manager called me after a month and invited to fly me to Boston for 2 days of interviews (4 hours each day). I agreed as they were going to pay for all expenses. Upon reflection, it was not worth the hassle. I spent two days interviewing with a total of 8 people plus had to perform a case interview the first day and role play on a real life company situation the second day. They were basically able to use me like their own personal monkey in a suit for these two days. When I finally finished, the HR manager walked me out of the building, told me he would debrief with the team on the next morning and I would hear from him “either way” within the next 24 hours. I never received a call, email, nothing! Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time type questions along with STAR questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vistaprint in March 2012.

Ssnet CV online, was then contacted via email to confirm they wished to conduct an intial background interview. Upon completion was then emailed again to confirm through to next round where a technical interview took place asking about coding and general computer science skills.

Interview Questions
    • Given an unsorted array of numbers 1-10,000 with no repeats, a number is replaced with -1. How would you identify which number was replaced?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vistaprint in October 2011.

Apply this job on university career website. Have a phone screen at first. Simple programming question on finding missing number of an array. Got the onsite interview notification 30 minutes after the phone screen, Big Friday event. Three 1:1 interviews back-to-back. Question 1: estimate shampoo bottle consumption a year of the whole world. Question 2: OOP design a robot. Question 3: write a program to for coupon calculation.

Problem Manager (Not Managerial) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vistaprint in December 2011.

Four one hour interviews back to back. First two were problem solving questions. One went great. I thought the other did too, but my friend who referred me told me it actually didn't, because that guy is not always great at communicating. Then a behavioral interview with a manager dude. And then an hour with my would be boss. Plus chatting with the HR person before and after. So it was excessively long. Their problem solving / technical questions are weird and open ended, and what they're looking for is for you to just start talking and writing on the white board and enumerating possibilities, without them giving you any details or clue initially.

Interview Questions
    • How many mini shampoo bottles are made in a year?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I was able to schedule an on-campus interview after the job fair. Interview was 30-45 minutes and casual. I was still new to interviewing so I didn't do very well. I got a rejection email two days later. Like many other Software Engineering interviews, know your running times and be comfortable writing code on paper.

Interview Questions
    • Given an array of words in a certain order, place them into another array in the order that they ask. Must write code.   Answer Question
    • Design a class given a set of requirements   Answer Question

Senior QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, MA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Vistaprint in November 2011.

I had a phone interview with a QA Manager. The interviewer was very formal and made me walk through my resume. She then posed a database design question where I had to design a database for keeping tracking of all the flights arriving and leaving an airport.

I cleared the interview and was invited for an onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of three 1:1 interviews: A behavioral interview, a technical interview and a Case interview

The Behavioral interviewer was a friendly person and she asked me about my previous work experience, why I was interested in QA and how would I fit into the Vistaprint work culture. It was a positive experience where we had a healthy conversation about what my expectations were from the role and the company and what the company expects from me

The technical interview was again about databases. A client -server mail server architecture was explained and questions were asked about how to make design changes to improve the system. After that, simple 3 table join queries were asked.

The case interview was pretty simple. The standard, "How many shampoo bottles are produced globally in a year". There were various versions of it. They just want to test how good you are thinking on your feet.

Interview Questions
    I am bad at negotiating. I would have got more, but could not negotiate successfully.

Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

It was my first interview on my full-time job hunting journey. I applied through campus career education center for this on campus interview. Basically, this interview lasted about an hour. The first half was consisted of introduction to VistaPrint and then going through my resume, I found the interviewer marked something on my resume, but the conversation was focused mainly on my summer intern. The second part, we did a programming test, I was asked to write code on a paper. The interviewer took out a long sentence, then he presented me a table with two columns. The first column was the extracted words from that sentence, the second column was the position that word appeared in the sentence. For example, "the song is the best", then, in the table, in the "the" row, the position was displayed as "0, 12", in the "song" row, the position was displayed as "4" and so on. Then, the interviewer asked me to find a data structure to store the information of this table. I could use any language I wanted. Therefore, I chose HashMap in Java. After this, the interviewer presented the second task, which was to bring back the sentence if you are given this table stored in the data structure you chose. It should not be hard if you write code on Eclipse, but the thing is I relied too much on the help of Eclipse that I could hardly remembered some functions and made me feel awkward. Finally, I finished that problem, but I was sure there should be mistakes. So my experience is that, try practicing coding on paper as well. It could be harder than your imagination especially when somebody is staring at you. I was told they moved on with other candidates 2 days later. Anyway, Good Luck to Everyone!

Interview Questions
    • Choose a data structure to store the extracted words and their positions in a sentence and then bring the sentence back using any language you like. Writing code on paper.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Vistaprint in October 2011.

Received a phone interview 10 days before the on-site interview. Some basic question about network protocols. And one basic coding question - how to find the only one missing number in a array of 1- 10000?

Got the notice to go an two-day on-site interview in Lexington. In fact, just one afternoon was spent on interview and a lot time spending on networkings... Three round 1:1 interviews.

First one is about OOD. Design a robert which can serve in the restaurant. Given other three functions relevant to the kitchen: kitchen.make(), kitchen.isready(), kitchen.get()

The second one is coding. Write a program to calculate the total amount of the shopping cart. There are three kind of coupons in the system: 1. all the products get N% discount 2. The next product get N% discount 3. The Nth of the P product get D dollar off (ex. the third box of pencils get 10cents off)

The third one is behavior and problem solving. Behavior question is to describe a hard time you go through in the recent. Problem solving is the hotel-size shampoo question - how many bottles of the hotel-size shampoo should be produced each year? Note: It's the hotel-size shampoo!!!

Get a thank-you phone after four days of the interview. Very disappointed. It seems that this company prefers the candidates around Boston Area.