Vistaprint

Updated Dec 16, 2014

3.2

Problem Manager (Not Managerial) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vistaprint in December 2011.

Four one hour interviews back to back. First two were problem solving questions. One went great. I thought the other did too, but my friend who referred me told me it actually didn't, because that guy is not always great at communicating. Then a behavioral interview with a manager dude. And then an hour with my would be boss. Plus chatting with the HR person before and after. So it was excessively long. Their problem solving / technical questions are weird and open ended, and what they're looking for is for you to just start talking and writing on the white board and enumerating possibilities, without them giving you any details or clue initially.

Interview Questions
    • How many mini shampoo bottles are made in a year?   View Answer

Senior QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, MA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Vistaprint in November 2011.

I had a phone interview with a QA Manager. The interviewer was very formal and made me walk through my resume. She then posed a database design question where I had to design a database for keeping tracking of all the flights arriving and leaving an airport.

I cleared the interview and was invited for an onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of three 1:1 interviews: A behavioral interview, a technical interview and a Case interview

The Behavioral interviewer was a friendly person and she asked me about my previous work experience, why I was interested in QA and how would I fit into the Vistaprint work culture. It was a positive experience where we had a healthy conversation about what my expectations were from the role and the company and what the company expects from me

The technical interview was again about databases. A client -server mail server architecture was explained and questions were asked about how to make design changes to improve the system. After that, simple 3 table join queries were asked.

The case interview was pretty simple. The standard, "How many shampoo bottles are produced globally in a year". There were various versions of it. They just want to test how good you are thinking on your feet.

Interview Questions
    I am bad at negotiating. I would have got more, but could not negotiate successfully.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Vistaprint in October 2011.

I got a phone interview via Campus Recruiting. The question was finding the missing number in a 1-1000 array in which the number was replaced by -1 and the array was randomly ordered.

Got the Super Saturday onsite interview right after my phone interview ends, in less than 3 hours. I was amazed by the speed.

Went to Great Boston Area on the Super Saturday with many other candidates. Friday night was purely networking. Talked with many people from software team and after that was discussion panel.

Then, on Saturday, the first thing was touring around the company with no one inside. This REALLY cannot give people a brief idea on how the company likes. After a brief lunch with a lot of current employees, I was given three 1:1 interviews, an OO Design question, the shampoo question, a coupon question(tho it was labeled as coding question, I would rather say it was another but easier OO design question) and a behavioral question.

After this, on Saturday night, part of the interviewees were taked to a bar, where more networking happened.

My negative opinion on the interview: First, a lot of information was duplicated. The interview consists too much networking and talking with people inside the company. For example, the friday night networking and discussion panel; during Saturday lunch; on saturday night; during site tour. Mostly with same information which was apparently a time waste. Second, tour the empty building really cannot give much information on the company's culture.

Except for those, the overall experience for me is great. I can feel that all people inside the company are those who love their jobs and are proud of it. I can feel the passion. And also, I can feel the company is trying to give every interviewees a deep understanding of the company, tho they probably should balance their networking portion and give more information about the company culture. I can feel the company is aggressive in growth and is really wanting to hire more people. And their contacting are quick. Got the offer the Tuesday right after the Super Saturday event.

One thing I should say is, for this company, it is really important to view all events as an interview on your personality. Please talk to as many people as you can and ask them questions. It is very important. Although most events were labeled company-answering-question, if you were not active enough, those events could be a drawback.

Interview Questions
    i didn't negotiate since the offer was great and exactly what I want.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vistaprint in October 2011.

Apply this job on university career website. Have a phone screen at first. Simple programming question on finding missing number of an array. Got the onsite interview notification 30 minutes after the phone screen, Big Friday event. Three 1:1 interviews back-to-back. Question 1: estimate shampoo bottle consumption a year of the whole world. Question 2: OOP design a robot. Question 3: write a program to for coupon calculation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, MA

It was my first interview on my full-time job hunting journey. I applied through campus career education center for this on campus interview. Basically, this interview lasted about an hour. The first half was consisted of introduction to VistaPrint and then going through my resume, I found the interviewer marked something on my resume, but the conversation was focused mainly on my summer intern. The second part, we did a programming test, I was asked to write code on a paper. The interviewer took out a long sentence, then he presented me a table with two columns. The first column was the extracted words from that sentence, the second column was the position that word appeared in the sentence. For example, "the song is the best", then, in the table, in the "the" row, the position was displayed as "0, 12", in the "song" row, the position was displayed as "4" and so on. Then, the interviewer asked me to find a data structure to store the information of this table. I could use any language I wanted. Therefore, I chose HashMap in Java. After this, the interviewer presented the second task, which was to bring back the sentence if you are given this table stored in the data structure you chose. It should not be hard if you write code on Eclipse, but the thing is I relied too much on the help of Eclipse that I could hardly remembered some functions and made me feel awkward. Finally, I finished that problem, but I was sure there should be mistakes. So my experience is that, try practicing coding on paper as well. It could be harder than your imagination especially when somebody is staring at you. I was told they moved on with other candidates 2 days later. Anyway, Good Luck to Everyone!

Interview Questions
    • Choose a data structure to store the extracted words and their positions in a sentence and then bring the sentence back using any language you like. Writing code on paper.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Vistaprint in October 2011.

Consisted on 1 Phone Interview
    Questions
    Find missing number in array of numbers 1-1000
    Differences between C/C++
    Loop in linked list

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, MA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Vistaprint in October 2011.

Received a phone interview 10 days before the on-site interview. Some basic question about network protocols. And one basic coding question - how to find the only one missing number in a array of 1- 10000?

Got the notice to go an two-day on-site interview in Lexington. In fact, just one afternoon was spent on interview and a lot time spending on networkings... Three round 1:1 interviews.

First one is about OOD. Design a robert which can serve in the restaurant. Given other three functions relevant to the kitchen: kitchen.make(), kitchen.isready(), kitchen.get()

The second one is coding. Write a program to calculate the total amount of the shopping cart. There are three kind of coupons in the system: 1. all the products get N% discount 2. The next product get N% discount 3. The Nth of the P product get D dollar off (ex. the third box of pencils get 10cents off)

The third one is behavior and problem solving. Behavior question is to describe a hard time you go through in the recent. Problem solving is the hotel-size shampoo question - how many bottles of the hotel-size shampoo should be produced each year? Note: It's the hotel-size shampoo!!!

Get a thank-you phone after four days of the interview. Very disappointed. It seems that this company prefers the candidates around Boston Area.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Vistaprint in October 2011.

ask some questions on data structures

Associate Analyst Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Vistaprint in November 2010.

I initially applied through my Career Services. Vistaprint was not my top choice but it looked like people enjoyed working there and the work would be consultative in nature. I just submitted my resume and cover letter and got an on-campus interview.

There was an information session the night before the first round interview. It was highly informational and probably the best of the info sessions I attended but that is not saying terribly much. The presentation gave me a lot more appreciation for the difficulty associated with the problems Vistaprint is solving.

There is both a behavioral interview and some problem solving with a case study. Good for you or not, there is no way to study for this. It was slightly tricky but not terrible. We finished up by discussing the case study. He graded my answers after I left. I got a call for Vistaprint's SuperSaturday event, which invites all candidates (primarily Harvard, MIT, Cornell, Dartmouth, CMU, RIT, and WPI) to Vistaprint's headquarters in Lexington, MA.

We stayed at a hotel in Cambridge and the first night was a networking session that was really well done. They gave everyone from the different divisions colored lanyards to distinguish who you actually wanted to talk to. Everyone seemed pretty relaxed and intelligent. They all seemed happy with their decision and felt like they were really developing professionally. There was also a Q&A panel for each of the divisions as well as a larger Q&A.

The interview day consists of a tour of the facilities followed by 3 45-minute interviews. You get a behavioral interview, case study, and technical interview. The case study was definitely one of the most fun parts of my whole recruitment process so have some fun with it.

I wanted to learn a lot, actually contribute, and have the potential to grow really fast and Vistaprint is great for that. You really start your career hitting the ground running and everyone is highly supportive. You certainly can make a career out of your time here and they do really try to hold on to the high performers. I know I did not care much about work-life balance during the interview process, but it is really nice to have a social life even on weekdays.

Interview Questions
    • I do not remember any specific questions but definitely come with questions. They understand you probably dont know much about the company and the culture is very open to questioning everything.   Answer Question

Senior Manager, Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Vistaprint in November 2010.

I applied online and got a request for a phone interview a week later. I met with 4 people for the first round including the recruiter. The recruiter did prep me by telling me that they were going to ask me a strategic type question that I was going to have to be able to answer. It was "How many bottles of shampoo used in hotels around the world?" I thought the question was a bit bizarre for a project manager position, but I did the best I could. I have no idea whether or not I answered it correctly. After that round, the recruiter invited me back in for round 2. In this round I had to prepare a case study in 45 minutes and present it to my potential future manager and another peer. That was definitely nervewracking but I felt I did well. I was again contacted by the recruiter and invited back for the last round to meet with some potential peers and VP of the group. I was asked to produce a roadmap for possible products added to the suite. Again, I was puzzled why a project manager was asked this type of question. I did my best again.
    Overall it was a very difficult interview. I would suggest that they structure the tests in the interviews to better reflect the job they are hiring for.