Vistaprint

Relevance Date Difficulty

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Junior Software Engineer
Lexington, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at Vistaprint in December 2009.

Interview Details – Let me preface this that it is not the interview process I had a problem with it was the fact that 4 professionals could not agree on what they wanted and, the fact that it seemed that the feedback I recieved on my interview seemed completely out of touch with things that I said during the interview.

Vista print contacted me about an opportunity they were looking to fill (and had been looking to fill at that point for about 5 months). In a bad economy with a lot of people out of work this shouldn't have been a problem to fill the job slot, but because it was right around the Christmas Holidays they wanted to get me in ASAP otherwise I might miss the opportunity.

A lot of hurry up and wait.

The interview consisted of meeting with 4 individuals including my would be boss. At that point I was asked a broad question about how I would come up with the answer and to present a possible solution.

When I heard back from the HR person I was completely floored when she said that the feedback she received on me indicated that I had never visited their website?!?! I attempted to explain that this wasn't at all the case, I had in fact visited their website but was asked if I had every bought anything from them which, I had not. She brushed it off as being a miscommunication. (I certainly won't be buying anything from them now!)

I liked the hiring manager a lot and I thought I would have worked well with her. It's a shame that in the end things got all jumbled up and that they had spent so much time vetting and looking for the 'right person'. The feedback from HR is what left a really bad taste in my mouth about this company. Shame, really a shame.

Interview Question – How much ice   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Manager, Project Management Interview

Senior Manager, Project Management
Lexington, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Vistaprint in November 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a request for a phone interview a week later. I met with 4 people for the first round including the recruiter. The recruiter did prep me by telling me that they were going to ask me a strategic type question that I was going to have to be able to answer. It was "How many bottles of shampoo used in hotels around the world?" I thought the question was a bit bizarre for a project manager position, but I did the best I could. I have no idea whether or not I answered it correctly. After that round, the recruiter invited me back in for round 2. In this round I had to prepare a case study in 45 minutes and present it to my potential future manager and another peer. That was definitely nervewracking but I felt I did well. I was again contacted by the recruiter and invited back for the last round to meet with some potential peers and VP of the group. I was asked to produce a roadmap for possible products added to the suite. Again, I was puzzled why a project manager was asked this type of question. I did my best again.
Overall it was a very difficult interview. I would suggest that they structure the tests in the interviews to better reflect the job they are hiring for.

Interview Question – How many bottles of shampoo used in hotels around the world   View Answers (2)

Analytics Interview

Analytics
Lexington, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Vistaprint in November 2010.

Interview Details – I was first contacted by Vistaprint for a phone interview and online exam. They seemed very nice and called multiple times to confirm and give me details of the exam and interview. The exam was pretty easy--just mainly GRE math questions. Then, I had a case study, which is what the interview started off with. The interview was very short--only about 15 minutes.

Interview Question – How many bottles of shampoo should be produced by hotels?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Lexington, MA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Vistaprint in September 2010.

Interview Details – I had two interviews with Vistaprint. The first one was with their internal recruiter, who I talked to for over an hour, and it went very well. I was then set up to speak with a manager about a week later. The job involved managing projects around localizing the payment methods for international payments - an area I actually have a considerable amount of domain knowledge in. Unfortunately, the interviewer seemed more inclined to test my knowledge of Agile methodology; I tried to steer the conversation back to something more relevant to the job (I've worked as a consultant using a variety of methodologies, including Agile and CMM, and companies that get hung up on the process rather than the product tend to have problems!) Unfortunately, this seemed to be the wrong tactic to take, since the manager ended the interview early; I received a "no thank you" from the recruiter a few days later.

Interview Question – Lots of questions about Agile Software development. If you want to work there as a project manager, brush up on your buzzwords.   Answer Question

Business and Strategy Analyst Interview

Business and Strategy Analyst
Lexington, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Vistaprint in November 2010.

Interview Details – First on-campus interviews followed by on-site interview.

On Site was 3 continuous 1-hour interviews.
2 Case-based + 1 Technical
Cases were unlike the usual consulting case interviews
Technical involved statistics and knowledge of SQL

Interview Questions

Lexington, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Vistaprint in April 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the recruiter at Vistaprint. It was a brief 15 min interview over the phone and then a technical interview was arranged. I was called onsite for personal interview with atlest 5 of them.
The first interview the person as late to work so that didnt happen. The next interview I was told briefly about the company and department. I thought the interview was going pretty well until it exploded.. I was told that the job did not have any Microsoft .net work until a year although I was called in for a Dotnet developer position. They had a 'tool' they wanted me to work on. For some reasong nobody in the department wanted to work on it. Now, who in the world would like this job after been told this. Obviously I was not interested and told them that it is very 'dissapointing' We didnt wanted to continue the interview but i was just giving it a shot as drove all the wayto Lexington for 3 hrs, didnt wanted to go back so soon. Anyway I guess they just called in the next person and no one came after that. Then the HR said it is not working for them as ' I' use lot of ' tools' which the company dont like. Infact I was thinking that the ' company' had been using 'tools' other than dotnet for this position was the real issue. Any way I asked why the Job description was not accurate. The HR had no idea about what it is about as far as Hr knows, it is dotnet position. Overall experience was very Dissapointing and I am glad that I conveyed it to them at the interview.

Interview Question – Question about how many shampoo bottles the company need to market.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – It wasnt going to work out anyway. If they retired the tool they would not have the job for me. They had other dotnet people working but didnt have any dotnet work for me. Why did they even call me for this interview? I have over 6 years exp with dotnet working for Big 10 companies and was not going to work on anything else.

Engineering Interview

Engineering
Waltham, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at Vistaprint in June 2009.

Interview Details – Phone tech screen, something difficult to take over the phone. Not sure what it had to do with the day-to-day of the actual job. Be prepared to study before you have it.

Interview Question – various search/sort algorithm questions using simple data structures   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Vistaprint in November 2009.

Interview Details – After meeting Vistaprint at a job fair, I had a first round interview on campus with a software engineer. It was a fun coding question to calculate the amount of paper the company needs to print an array of paper products. I got invited to a two-day superday onsite in Boston. They housed us in the Charles Hotel and took us to dinner. The next day, we went back to the company and we did company tours and three separate 1-hour interviews: software design, a coding scenario, and a fun brainteaser

Interview Questions

• How many bottles of shampoo are produced in the world a year?   View Answers (25)
  • Given an array of paper products in which each product has an attribute name, width, and height, and given a sheet of paper that has width xx and height yy, write a program that returns the number of sheets of paper needed to print out the array of paper products   Answer Question
  • How would you design elevator software?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Marketing Associate Interview

Marketing Associate
Lexington, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Vistaprint in May 2009.

Interview Details – VistaPrint is located in an interesting building. We I arrived HR greeted me and escorted me to a tiny interview room. Very claustrophobic and intimate. I meet with 4 people, hour each. They gave me a tour of the building. The whole thing was way to long and every interviewers asked the same boring questions. They gave me a few cases to do, but they were simple and straightforward. Not to interesting and the company is going down with the economy.

Reason for Declining – Low pay, boring position.

Boston, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at Vistaprint in October 2009.

Interview Details – How many small size shampoo bottles are produced every year

Interview Question – What is the total number of small sized shampoo bottles produces in the world.   Answer Question