Vital Images

Updated Dec 9, 2014
Updated Dec 9, 2014

3.2

Software Developer Interview

They're very heavy on interviews and weeding. First I took a skills test (I did well), then a "fit" phone interview from an HR person, then another phone interview from the hiring manager, who asked me a lot of technical questions, and one of those puzzle questions that software people sometimes like. After that, an in person interview. I'm not any good at those on the spot questions that want you to regurgitate textbook definitions of things, so I guess I didn't pass.

Frankly I didn't feel I was a fit for a place that seems to care heavily about that kind of algorithmic thinking, but it'd be nice to have known that's really what they're looking for. The job description that came with it was essentially non-existent, the HR person could't really describe what they were doing either, and I only found out what the job was at the technical interview. Largely a waste of my, and their time.

Places like this that want "heads down" developers need to start realizing that's what they're looking for, and start using language to describe the person they're looking for, not just a set of skills.

Interview Questions
    • Imagine you have 2 glass balls, and a 100 story building. You only have the two balls, and you need to determine the minimum height at which the ball breaks. What's the optimum solution to minimize the number of ball drops?   View Answer

Regulatory Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Vital Images.

-HR Phone Screen - average to tough screening. Asked many somewhat typical interview questions, but a couple were tough.
    -Phone interview with VP - easy to average interview. VP was friendly and discussed some off-topics, too, which was nice, just trying get to know me I think.

Interview Questions
    • HR screen: Do you like working in a team or independently better?   Answer Question
    • HR screen: How does the quality of your work affect others?   Answer Question
    • HR screen: What obstacles have you overcome to achieve what you have in your career?   Answer Question
    • HR screen: How does accountability affect your work ethic?   Answer Question

Medical Imaging Scientist-intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Vital Images in June 2013.

Step 1: Phone Interview by General HR
    Step 2: Phone Interview by a senior scientist
                 1. background check, elaborate related experiences
                 2. logical question: There are three boxes, each contains an orange, or an apple or a banana. They are labeled but all three labels are wrongly placed. Ask you how many times do you need to decide which box contains orange, banana and apple. Answer is 1 time.
                  3. Programing concepts: There is a 3D image contains a cube, a sphere. How would you detect these objects out. He said it is a open question.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minnetonka, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minnetonka, MN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vital Images in February 2011.

I applied for a software developer position and several months later I received an invitation to do an interview. After a standard interview with a hr person, there was a technical phone screen on C++. The technical interview was being done by the VP of engineering, which seemed a bit awkward and left somewhat of a small company impression to me.

The phone screen itself consisted of pretty standard C++ questions on topics like operator overloading and polymorphism which the interviewer obviously read from a list. The interviewer seemed happy with textbook definitions of C++ concepts but when I departed from the standard textbook definition and explained a concept with an example, he hesitated and did not seem to understand the answer. I guess he was just reading questions with their answers from a list and if my response matched the answer he had on his list, he was happy. Otherwise, he just didn't know.

I would rate the interview being of average difficulty. A few days later I received a reply that I had not passed the interview. The same week I had a much more difficult C++ interview at another company which I did pass. So I am not sure whether it were the interviewer's C++ skills or my C++ skills that caused me not to pass.

Regulatory Affairs Intern Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Vital Images in April 2012.

Interview process consisted of 2 phone interviews and 1 onsite.
    First phone interview: Basic HR
    Second phone interview: Lead Regulatory Personnel..........Asked lot of questions regarding regulatory related projects, International compliance, quality standards. Also asked about my thesis project

All the interviewer were really nice and were willing to listen about my projects.