Vitamin Shoppe

Updated Jan 11, 2015
Updated Jan 11, 2015

2.5

Sales Associate Interview

I had applied online and within several days they had called me back. The store manager was the one who was conducting the interviews with the potential new members for the job.

Interview Questions
  • They had mainly asked questions pertaining about previous work experience. Such as what were your responsibilities at your previous company or what is your previous work experience. Also talked about how you can progress if you stick with the company. They said that they would let me know if they were interested because they had several other applicants apply.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Vitamin Shoppe

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Union City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Union City, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vitamin Shoppe.

I applied online, went in to meet the manager, and was contacted within 2 weeks for an interview with the store manager. Within a week, I had another interview with the district manager, and received an offer a few days later. Interview contained standard questions about past experience, what lessons you learned from certain situations, strengths/weaknesses, health and fitness in my daily life.- Nothing hard.

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Vitamin Shoppe.

I was first was called in for one interview, which was a group interview, I felt it went very very well. Then I was called in for a second interview where I interviewed with 2 managers. The process took a reasonable amount of time between applying and being called in but it may depend on the particular store.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Vitamin Shoppe.

Interviewed first with a random associate, then passed to the assistant manager, then to the manager. Really wasn't that difficult and seemed more of a formality.

Interview Questions
    • There really wasn't a most difficult question, just that they didn't prepare me for the fact that I would be speaking to several people in one interview who would ask me the same questions.   View Answer
    There was none.

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vitamin Shoppe.

Vitamin shoppe website, online application.
    no name phone message about setting up interview.
    when I called the day before to ask if they were hiring they said yes.
    In person when I got there they didn't even know i was coming.
    Despite this they were unprepared as though they have never done interviews.
    Clear frustrations/complaints from interviewer because they didn't know what they were doing.

LITERALLY they lied to me and cost me time and money to get over there. The manager didn't care only stated they are not hiring. I had to ask many questions to understand why they wasted my time.

I did get hired by another company with more opportunity but v.shoppe didn't give me a chance and I still don't know why.(people have 2 jobs these days). NO email or phone call, just left me hanging. (They could have cost me this other great opportunity because the interview was scheduled the same day as the other job I actually got)!

It was 7.50 very part time about (10/hrs. week). If you are nearby this may work for you but
    they seem to have a strict dress code. This whole experience encourages me not to shop at places that do not CARE about their employees. (I used to shop a lot and used my rewards membership).

Minimum wage should not be starting wage for everyone!

Interview Questions
    • Too many questions not even asked correctly. Hard to answer if you have an inexperienced interviewer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Vitamin Shoppe in June 2012.

Interview process was alright, was taken into the back room and questioned. The hiring process took 2+ weeks to get all my information cleared though....which is quite a long time for a low paying retail job.

Not able to negotiate

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vitamin Shoppe in June 2012.

The hiring process was pretty quick. I had no connections within the company and within about 10 days I received a call for an initial interview with a store manager at one of the stores in the area.

The interviewer was friendly and asked mostly STAR questions which I had real answers to due to my previous experience. I also made it clear how passionate I was about health, fitness, and supplement knowledge.

I was called back a few days later for a second interview with a regional manager at a separate location. However, when I arrived to the store I was informed the regional manager had last minute business and instead was interviewed by the store manager of this new store.

The second interview was more relaxed and felt almost like an orientation. The manager asked some intro questions about why I chose Vitamin Shoppe and my interest in health. Then he went over wages, job perks (free supplement samples), the process where company reps come in and inform the associates about their products, and the structure of Vitamin Shoppe employment. He told me employees advance very quickly, and management is constantly being offered relocation for promotion, allowing the entry level workers to advance to keyholders/store managers more quickly than most companies.

Interview Questions
    • During the first interview, the manager asked several in-depth supplement questions, the hardest being "What are the 3 major precursors to Creatine?" I was able to name 2 only because I read many fitness magazines, but the manager was understanding and I think the reason he asked such a specific question is because he knew I had a heavy interest in weightlifting.   Answer Question

I was offered only 4-8 hours per week, part time employment. Though they said I would eventually move up to 20 hours + to full time, they couldn't specify exactly when, so I took up a full-time Administration job instead.

Anonymous Employee in North Miami, FL
    Anonymous Employee in North Miami, FL

Did an online application, and got a callback a couple of days later. It was a one on one basic interview where I was taken into a back room. Asked basic interview questions. Took about 10-20 minutes.

Anonymous Employee in Portage, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Portage, MI

The process took a dayinterviewed at Vitamin Shoppe in May 2012.

was called for an interview after applying online. went in and talked to a manager, she seemed new to the interviewing process. the questions were pretty standard... strengths, weaknesses, give an example of when you worked in a team, etc. I was only there for about 15 - 20 minutes. I was told that they would contact me either way and let me know if i had gotten a 2nd interview. never heard from them again.

Interview Questions
    • What is the last piece of material you read on health of fitness and why do you think its important information?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Vitamin Shoppe in April 2012.

Pretty standard customer service/retail interview. I think I stood out because of my genuine interest in health/nutrition, so if you watch a couple of youtube videos on the importance of supplements, I think that may give you an edge. The asst manager and store manager interviewed me 1:1 in the stock room. There was no one else on staff which I hope translates into decent work hours. The interviewers were nice and one was a non-stop talker but interview personalities will obviously vary greatly from person to person and thats with any job at any level.

Other tips just make sure you do a little research on the company, I forgot about this but I winged it and did fine.

Interview Questions
    I think I could've gotten more but they went with what i put on my application, which was a just standard retail pay for my area. I'd been out of work for a while and unashamed to say I was a tad desperate. But I can't complain, its average.