Vocus

Vocus Sales Executive Interview Questions

2.4

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Executive Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vocus.

I received outreach from Vocus through LinkedIn and after speaking with an HR rep interviewed in-person at the Herndon office. Everyone was very friendly but I was initially turned off by the unprofessional dress and atmosphere; backwards baseball caps were present in abundance and there are basketball hoops in the kitchen. I came in a suit and the Director interviewing me wasn't even wearing a collar on his shirt. Aside from this style being anathema to my desired work experience I was not forewarned of the casual atmosphere and was obviously out of place as far and away the best dressed person in the entire office. I didn't see a single tie my entire time there.

The interview was fairly simple - all softball questions with emphasis on your ability to make rote cold calls. Not what I'm looking for so I turned them down when they followed up about moving forward with an offer.

Interview Questions
  • Honestly, there wasn't a difficult question asked. All were softballs.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Vocus

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vocus.

Recruiter contacted me, talked to me about my background and what I was looking for, asked normal questions about why I would be good at sales etc. Set me up for an in person interview in Herndon. I met with hiring manager and the Director. Standard Inteview questions, they asked me to sell them something, and talked about my background. After that I did a phone roleplay and then was offered job!

Interview Questions
    • Asked me to sell them something on the spot   View Answer
    Negotiation on start date etc. They made it seem like there might not be alot of room for salary negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vocus in July 2012.

The hiring interview will ask you questions about your sales background and look for you to push back. One interviewer will talk up Vocus, while another interviewer (later, in another room) will interview you and gauge your interest.

Interview Questions
    They will try to pay the lease.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vocus in May 2012.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter who found my resume on Monster.com. After a brief phone-screening I was invited to the office for an in-person interview. My first interview started with two managers going over my previous education and work experience, after that the two managers left the room and another manager came in to ask me a few questions and role-play a sales situation. I was instructed to pretend that I worked for a toothbrush store and to try and sell the manager a toothbrush. Being that the sales executive role at this company comes from a consultative perspective, he wanted to make sure I understood the type of sales this position requires. I was told that I would be contacted for a follow-up call in the next few days.

After a brief game of phone tag, I was contacted by one of the two managers that had interviewed me the first time (my current manager) and yet again participated in some more role-playing. This time I was instructed to sell Facebook to the person on the phone as if they were a random stranger I had met in on the subway who didn't currently use facebook.

After that I was contacted and offered a position, pending a background check and my signing the job offer letter.

Interview Questions
    • "Why should we hire you as opposed to someone with more sales experience?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Vocus in April 2012.

Interviewed with two different managers. Both were friendly and engaging. They asked a lot about pervious experience, they want to hear that you want to work inside sales.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beltsville, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vocus in March 2012.

You will be on a 1:1 with a recruiter, then a pair of managers will double team you for your interview. Feels like a car dealership.

Quick- they offered a base and promised a commission.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Vocus in January 2012.

Sell me a tooth brush.

Sell me facebook

Interview Questions
    • nothing. If you mess this up you might as well go down to buger king and pick up an application   Answer Question

Sales Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Vocus in January 2012.

Not too hard, they will ask you general questions like what is your skill set etc. This is going to be followed up with a role play.

Interview Questions
    they will try to hold out for 30k, wait a few days and a manager will call you and offer more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beltsville, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Vocus in March 2011.

Pretty easy, you get a call from a recruiter, then a manager, have a one on one interview, then a role play and BOOM YOU ARE IN!

Hold out a few days for more, I did and I received more than the base 28k

Sales Executive Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vocus.

Quick HR interview followed by a hour long face to face with 2 managers. Considering the other jobs I've interviewed for, it's a pretty quick and simple process and the interviews are short and relatively simple. HR was very perky and basically told me exactly how the interview was going to go so I was prepared with what they were going to test me with (and she admitted they were testing me), which I thought was nice. The interview seemed like one big game where they just continually tested you to see if you could 'handle the pressure' though and it started to feel like the managers were just enjoying it a little too much (one of them at least). They worked like 'good cop, bad cop', where one was against you moving forward and the other acted like you were a great fit and was extremely positive and welcoming. I thought was a little unprofessional and I get bad vibes from companies that like to play with their candidates heads. It makes me question their integrity.
    Both were hesitant to answer any questions when I asked them about current or future challenges the company had and just continued to emphasize that Vocus was #1. As long as I stayed on the 'Rah Rah Vocus' train, they were responsive but changed the subject when I asked them questions that might show Vocus' weaknesses or challenges reps had (the canned answer was 'some people just aren't meant for this position'). After telling me the hiring process involved all the managers getting together to evaluate candidates once a week and then making the decision to who goes on, they asked me to wait while they left the room to 'talk privately. They come back in 1 minute later and say 'we've discussed it and decided you're moving on to meet with our Director.' I was a little confused as to why they just explained this whole hiring process then 30 seconds later threw that process out the door. Again, felt like another game.

The next round was with the Director (and the Sr. Director, who never showed up to the interview) and it was just your average interview. HR then called and e-mailed a few times after that letting me know updates and apologizing for the delay in a decision because the decision makers were out of the office, but kept telling me how promising it was looking because of the excellent feedback she received from the Director and it was looking that I would get an offer. The last time we spoke she stated she would call me with their decision the next day. I never heard from her again.

I also found it odd that, during my 2 tours, they tried to steer me as far away as possible from looking into the 'work' area and only wanted to show me the amenities, which I was shown twice. I wanted to at least observe from afar to get an idea of what the reps were doing during the day, but all I could see were maybe one row of cubicles HR started walking so fast when we got by those areas.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing stood out. Pretty standard behavioral questions. Coming in with a good, solid reason why you want to work in inside sales is more important that why you want to work for Vocus.   Answer Question