Volkswagen Group of America

36 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

This Interview

This

I applied through other source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Volkswagen Group of America.

Interview Details – Their process is in the stone age. They rely on people who are not qualified for their position in HR so things move slowly without proper communication. Fortunately one of the worst is gone after many years. She has been replaced with someone who is as inept and unqualified, but because this company is too lazy to do the work they rely too heavily on their HR.

Interview Question – There wasnt one.   Answer Question

Recruitment Coordinator Interview

Recruitment Coordinator
Herndon, VA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Volkswagen Group of America in April 2013.

Interview Details – I did a brief, 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager on a Friday. I was brought back in to meet with the manager, and the rest of the recruiting team in-person the following Monday. I was offered the job on Tuesday. The interview questions were the typical behvaioral-style. It was a very pleasant, quick interview experience.

Interview Question – When faced with simultaneous time-sensitive projects, how do you prioritize which ones to tackle first?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Quality Analyst Interview

Quality Analyst
Rochester, MI

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Volkswagen Group of America in September 2011.

Interview Details – Behavior style interview - expect the interviewers to show very little emotion

Interview Question – Explain your weakest quality   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Manager - 10E Interview

Manager - 10E
Herndon, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Volkswagen Group of America in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was very surprised at the low level of professionalism and process at such a large and established corporation. The recruiter was a nightmare to get back in touch with. She wouldn't return my phone calls, she wouldn't respond to my emails, and it was all on her initiation. It took us four days to reconnect to have the phone conversation and set up the in-person interview. The most surprising incident was receiving an auto-generated rejection email after an in-person interview. I work with this company on a daily basis, and I was encouraged to apply for the position at the behest of a Volkswagen employee. I know that most in-person interview candidates receive a phone call if they make it this far. The only really enjoyable experience was the actual in-person interview. The interviewers were awesome and professional and asked great questions.

Interview Question – The recruiter actually asked me the heritage/origin of my last name. I'm pretty certain this is a confidential no-no as far as interviewing goes.   View Answer

Production Team Member Interview

Production Team Member
Chattanooga, TN

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Volkswagen Group of America in April 2010.

Interview Details – Initially called to spend a half a day taking a computer assessment exam and to spend the second half of that day at a production simulation exercise where I had to pretend to put together steering wheel columns and dodge imaginary forklifts. I did well enough on that to where they called me for a face to face interview with two managers, which I passed. I was then scheduled for a medical exam and drug screening. After that, nothing for 8 months. I about gave up hope until they called me and told me they have a training class ready and asked if I could I start in two weeks.

Interview Question – Nothing was particularly difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Starting salary was $14.50 an hour. Take it or leave it. You do, however, get raises pretty frequently. My current base salary is $19.40 an hour, plus I get overtime and an extra dollar an hour for when I work the overnight shift. We also get four bonuses a year.

Engineer II Interview

Engineer II
Belmont, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Volkswagen Group of America in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied via the website, uploading a resume and cover letter. About 2 weeks later, I was contacted by HR via e-mail, to schedule a technical phone interview. The phone interview lasted about an hour, asked about my vision for the intelligent and connected vehicle research. There were also questions on C++ programming, inheritance, virtual member functions, and destructors.

About a week later, HR called me to schedule an on-site interview. The on-site had me meeting with 5 or 6 people, including management and engineers. There were more questions about machine learning, my experience in school, and vision for research. There were also some questions on algorithms.

Unlike many tech interviews, they weren't trying to trip me up, trick me, or bark orders at me. I think some interviewers see it as a challenge to "break" the interviewee, which was not the case here.

Interview Question – Given a string e.g. "abcda," write a function in c++ that tells us if there is a repeated letter in the string.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I negotiated the salary up about 5,000 with HR. The benefits are quite good. Signing bonus was also good.

Employee Relations Interview

Employee Relations

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Volkswagen Group of America.

Interview Details – Phone interview after resume received

Very Easy Interview

Specialist Interview

Specialist

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Volkswagen Group of America.

Interview Details – Interview over the phone once then met the hiring manager and one other manager, The interviewers seemed not to listen to anything said and were not interested in details. They continued in filling out their interview sheets.

Interview Question – Nothing that stands out, all questions were text book questions. Where do you see yourself in 5 years ? type of questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Good, but what was promised is not what ended up happening either in the job description nor the bonus to receive every year

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Volkswagen Group of America in September 2012.

Interview Details – Application is online; updates are visible in the talent portal.
Asked to interview in Early September via phone. Offered position early November via phone. Position start date was January.
I got a call to offer the position. They also inform you via email if you are not selected for the position.

Interview Question – Asked questions about engine components such as valves, camshaft, and crankshaft.   Answer Question

Engineering Internship Interview

Engineering Internship

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Volkswagen Group of America in June 2013.

Interview Details – I got a phone interview 2 months after I first applied for the job, and then I was interviewed by an engineer in my department. The interview lasted about 20 mins

Interview Question – Why you really want to work at Volkswagen, and what kind of new things have you learn that can surprise us   Answer Question

Worked for Volkswagen Group of America? Contribute to the Community!