Volusion

Volusion Interview Questions

Updated Oct 17, 2014
Updated Oct 17, 2014

Ecommerce Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Volusion.

I submitted my application with cover letter and resume, and was contacted several months later by a member of Human Resources to set up a phone interview. The interviewer was very polite and professional. The interview was about 20 minutes in length, but it obviously felt much shorter.

Interview Questions
    • Very quantitative interview. There were a lot of questions regarding my sales quotas, my actual numbers, etc...   Answer Question

Web Designer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Volusion in August 2014.

I applied online through the Volusion website and about a week later I was contacted through email requesting a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty standard. Asked about my skills and design process. On the phone I was asked if I would be available to complete a design exercise. A few hours later I received the fake brief and had 48 hours to complete it. The exercise was pretty fun and a good test for what the actual job requirements would be. (Landing page for an online store) After turning in the final design I was contacted the same day for an in-person interview. I met with two of the design leads and we discussed the role and my design process. The interview was relaxed, but professional. No questions asking what I thought my strengths or weaknesses were! Just making sure I was a good fit for the role. I received a phone call a few days later with an offer. Overall I felt very comfortable during the interview process – it wasn't a stuck up atmosphere and I felt that I could be honest with my questions and answers.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you become a millionaire tomorrow and what would you want snow to be flavored are a few examples of the more unorthodox questions they will ask you for in writing. In person be prepared to discuss your design process, but you won't have to go through your whole portfolio step by step.   Answer Question
    I was offered a competitive salary similar to what can be found on Glassdoor already. I tried asking for a higher salary, but they were firm with their original offer.

Merchant Services Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Volusion.

Group interview followed by an interview with a sales manager and the director of sales. Free flow questions, laid back, no suit necessary, dressed nicely, no tie needed if you have some dress skill otherwise a tie is cool.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too crazy. Was free flowing and a great conversation. They asked how to sell a product in my prior job, may do some role play for a sales position.   Answer Question
    They do have flexibility in offers ask if they are flexible.

Search Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Volusion.

Recruiter call, then in person group/panel interview with team members and management. I also had to complete a writing test since the position I applied for required a lot of writing.

Interview Questions
    • Am I a cat or dog person. Questions about changes to Google algorithm   Answer Question

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Volusion in April 2014.

Applied online and got an email from the recruiter the day after asking about a good time to talk on the phone. After setting that up we had a phone interview where she asked questions relating to my design experience, design process, and a few other questions that could relate to the position. Keeping up to date with new design trends and how I find out about new ideas. Also about what tools I use to design with.
    After that the recruiter sent me a design briefing for a fake client that was pretty thorough. I was able to find other peoples samples on Behance that had clearly applied for the same position so I assume they have a few on hand to send to potentials. I was given a few days to complete my designs and send back (it was just for a home page design too not a full site) but the company is very face paced so getting the designs done in a short amount of time helps as well.
    After sending my designs back the recruiter sent them over to the design team for the leads to check out. Within the same day I got call from the HR department setting up a time for me to come in for a face to face interview. She also emailed over some documents to fill out kind of outlining my work experience and such.
    For the face to face it took about 45 minutes. We went over some of my portfolio items and talked more about the clients I had worked with and more on my design process etc etc etc. It was kind of a "make sure I wasn't crazy" feeling to it really.
    I got a call later that evening with my offer.

Interview Questions
    • There were a few unexpected questions like "if snowflakes had a flavor what would you like it to be?" and some other goofy questions. I do want to include they didn't have any questions that sort of set you up for a bad answer which was nice.   Answer Question
    The offer was for about 10k more than what the average is on here so I was surprised by this. I am however having to relocate for the job and they had explained they don't offer relocation assistance. I asked to drop the salary by 2k for the first year and see if I could get that as a sign on bonus to help with moving. I haven't heard back about that yet.

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Volusion in March 2014.

Very pleasant hiring/on boarding process. Very clear on communication. Job expectations were accurate and well laid out. Communication was frequent and clear. On boarding was efficient and addressed all my needs and concerns.

Interview Questions
    • A few of the logic questions were a bit of a challenge. I would say that there were multiple correct answers, but that is to be expected with that type of a question.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. The offer was very fair, and I felt that the was upfront and honest the entire process.

Business Development Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Volusion.

Quick reply to my resume/cover letter submission. Initial screening call was scheduled promptly. Call with HR was fine, however I quickly realized that what they advertised as a BD role was really a low-level outbound "dial for dollars" position with little strategic component. HR person drilled me on my outbound volume calling experience and paid little attention to my past accomplishments in meeting quotas and/or significant corporate strategic experience. Zero follow up from HR. Unprofessional. Also, I could care less about pizza parties and ping pong.

Competitive Intelligence Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Volusion in October 2013.

I applied online and was emailed the next day to set up a phone interview with the recruiter. The phone interview was about 15-20 minutes, and from there she set up a phone interview with the hiring manager for the following week. The interview with the hiring manager was very short, maybe about 15 minutes, so I initially thought that it didn't go well. Questions generally revolved around my prior experience and what I was looking for, and was generally pretty straightforward. Their systems were down at that moment, so she didn't have my resume in front of her, so I felt that there was a bit of disconnect between us regarding my experience and current situation.

The recruiting manager then called me the next morning to set up an in-person interview, explaining that the call the day before had been short because she had scheduled the hiring manager for several interviews, both for her group and for other teams. I was scheduled for an in-person interview for the following week, though the details and exact confirmation took a couple days to sort out.

My on-site interview consisted of:
    30 minute 2:1 interview with two Product Marketing Manager team members
    30 minute 2:1 interview with another Product Marketing Team member and VP Corporate Development
    30 minute 1:1 interview with the team Director whom I had spoken with on the phone

The interview delved deeply into my prior work experience, involving detailed questions regarding my research processes and methods. The team also asked questions about my knowledge of the e-commerce market and relevant competitors.

I feel that everything that was asked was very relevant to the position, and that each person was genuinely interested in what I had to say. Volusion was very welcoming as a whole; they even had written a welcome sign with my name on the dry-erase board on the interview room door and the recruiter took me on a tour of the building afterwards. I did however feel that it was a little difficult to ensure that each person received similar information about my skills, experience, and how I thought I would be a good fit, because the questioning style and types of questions asked in each interview covered different areas of my experience.

In the end, the team decided to go with a different candidate, possibly due to my lack of software/SaaS industry experience. However, the recruiter called me to tell me that, which I really appreciated, rather than sending a generic rejection email. Throughout the process, the recruiters were absolutely fantastic at keeping me updated and treating me with respect.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a question designed to test my analytical abilities, and how I would go about assessing a potential threat from a distance.   Answer Question

Lead Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Volusion in May 2013.

There was a phone call with the recruiter a few days after my online application was sent. An in-person was set up after about 10 days. There were about three rounds on that day with a panel each time discussing my past work and technical questions. The technical part went well but there were some doubts whether I could perform the challenging role and they decided to take someone else in the end.

.NET/ASP Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Volusion in April 2013.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter in the company's HR department, and proceeded through several interviews. It was a very efficient process from start to finish.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question occurred during the technical phone interview, and was designed to see how well I think on my feet. The question was something like, "If you were in the desert, had two containers, one of them half the size of the other, how would you carry three equal units of sand from point A to point B?"   View Answer
    At this stage in my career, I wasn't looking for a higher salary, just a change in direction. I had discussed a salary range with the recruiter during the initial contact, and after the series of technical interviews, we agreed upon that salary.