Volusion Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

2.9

PPC Specialist Interview

Interview

I had been looking at Volusion for a while before interviewing. Multiple friends ended up working at Volusion in different departments, and they had nothing but great things to say. I instantly emailed for a phone interview. After talking more, I was brought into the offices for an interview. I was given a clipboard with technical questions, some that caught me off guard. I was becoming very nervous while rushing to finish the questions. My nerves were instantly calmed once I got to meet the team. I sat down with 3 members of the PPC department and introduced myself. Knowing people at the company was not taken into account. We began to speak about experiences in paid search and approaches to situations. By the end of the interview, we had a few laughs and I felt like I had the job. Unfortunately, they wanted to conduct more interviews before bringing me back in. During this time I was wrapping things up with another company and got into a great position. To sum it up; there are no free passes, they will evaluate you technically, speak to you with respect, and take time to decide on who they hire. Although I wanted the job, I am glad that I did not get an easy "in".

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Volusion (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Call from a recruiter. Screening interview with the recruiter. Completed a more detailed application. Time passed. Skype interview with manager and a team member. Time passed. Short telephone interview with the manager. Time passed. Eventually led to an onsite interview with the manager and the team. Several of the people who interviewed me had been there less than a month.

Summary: A two month interview process with less than great communication from their side.

Interview Questions

• In the onsite interview, I was re-asked several questions about my lack of experience (which I was already very upfront about) that I had already answered. In my initial screening interview, the recruiter said my lack of experience shouldn't be a problem. After all, these skills can be learned. This was echoed by the manager. Apparently that was not the case though, as my lack of experience was given as the primary reason for not getting an offer.   Answer Question

Ecommerce Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Volusion (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone screen; initially an HR recruiter contacted me within 2-3 days after I had submitted my application online. Maybe it was just me, but I definitely didn't feel enticed or welcomed by the conversation that I had with the recruiter. I decided not to pursue any further.

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Volusion (Austin, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email setting up a phone call. The phone call focused mostly on reasons for looking for a job, past experience, new job expectations, etc. It seemed more like fact-finding than an interview. I appreciate a company taking time to make sure everyone is on the same page before scheduling a proper interview.

They set up time to come interview in person. It was a pretty standard interview, lots of open ended behavioral questions. Many seemed to focus on dealing with presumed conflict between stakeholders. That is not out of the ordinary, but when several questions dance around the idea of confrontation, along with the launch of a new product, my excitement about Volusion was thoroughly tempered. I'm not afraid of conflict, but I also didn't like the vibe that I might be wearing a "Kick Me" sign all day.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle negative feedback on something that you believe to be correct?   Answer Question

.NET Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Volusion in January 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was long. Applied on thier website on 12/15/2014. First interview on 23rd with the HR. Questions included why you want to change and salary expectations. Second technical phone interview on Jan 14th who asked questions related to MVC, WebAPI, difference between Static and singleton, Design Patterns. Third interview on Jan 26th with 3 groups of people. First asked to implement a FIFO queue as a singleton. Second asked how to Count the number of occurences of a string in a sentence and the length of the longest string. Third was with the Director who told me he would hire me as mid-level developer. Spoke for 30 minutes or more on the previous interviews and how he is waiting to hear more from the previous interviewer.

Support Concierge Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Volusion (Austin, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Relaxed environment. There was no real need to dress in a suit as the 2 interviewers were in jeans and t-shirts. Was placed in a room with laid back chairs and proceeded with the questions. Lots of logical & personality type questions; Basically getting a sense for how smart you are and if you are an enjoyable person.

Interview Questions

• Asked a series of logic questions   1 Answer
    • If you could have anyone from history at a dinner party hosted by you, who would you invite.   1 Answer

Search Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Volusion.

Interview

Phone interview and then in person interview. Initial phone call with someone from people and culture team and then an in person interview with people from the paid search team. Questions were geared towards how much you know about search and why you are interested in search engine marketing.

Interview Questions

• What item would you bring with you if you were stranded on a deserted island?   Answer Question

.NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Volusion (Telephone, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied through their website and was contacted by the HR. Had a basic phone screening as the first round in which she asked conducted a resume walk-through and asked salary expectations.

2nd round was also a telephonic interview, but was completely technical. He asked me to solve three technical problems and provide the algorithm/pseudo code. First one was an easy business problem which I could solve about number of coins required for a given dollar amount. I don't remember the second question, but it was web development related. The third one was about a rendering engine for a web browser.

3rd round was supposed to be a face to face at their HQ

Interview Questions

• Design a page rendering engine for a web browser using OOP principles.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Volusion.

Interview

I submitted my application with cover letter and resume, and was contacted several months later by a member of Human Resources to set up a phone interview. The interviewer was very polite and professional. The interview was about 20 minutes in length, but it obviously felt much shorter.

Interview Questions

• Very quantitative interview. There were a lot of questions regarding my sales quotas, my actual numbers, etc...   Answer Question

Web Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Volusion in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online through the Volusion website and about a week later I was contacted through email requesting a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty standard. Asked about my skills and design process. On the phone I was asked if I would be available to complete a design exercise. A few hours later I received the fake brief and had 48 hours to complete it. The exercise was pretty fun and a good test for what the actual job requirements would be. (Landing page for an online store) After turning in the final design I was contacted the same day for an in-person interview. I met with two of the design leads and we discussed the role and my design process. The interview was relaxed, but professional. No questions asking what I thought my strengths or weaknesses were! Just making sure I was a good fit for the role. I received a phone call a few days later with an offer. Overall I felt very comfortable during the interview process – it wasn't a stuck up atmosphere and I felt that I could be honest with my questions and answers.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you become a millionaire tomorrow and what would you want snow to be flavored are a few examples of the more unorthodox questions they will ask you for in writing. In person be prepared to discuss your design process, but you won't have to go through your whole portfolio step by step.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was offered a competitive salary similar to what can be found on Glassdoor already. I tried asking for a higher salary, but they were firm with their original offer.