Volvo Construction Equipment Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2014
Updated Aug 1, 2014

3.1

Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Volvo Construction Equipment.

Applied through the online application and received a phone call two weeks later. Had a phone interview and was asked to come in to their office for 1 on 1 interview.

Interview Questions

Received a better offer elsewhere

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shippensburg, PA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Volvo Construction Equipment in November 2013.

Called by HR to set up an interview, called by phone conference of 4 people, interview took 1 hour where they asked questions about your resume and other behavioral based questions (about 4 of them), interviewers allowed time at the end for any of their questions or any that you may have also, offered position within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you had to use problem solving skills to find an answer to a question that did not have a straight forward solution   Answer Question
    One week.

Lead Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shippensburg, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Volvo Construction Equipment in September 2013.

1Q 2013 I received a phone call from HR, she asked basic HR questions and said that she plans to share my resume with the hiring manager. That was it and I did not hear back from Volvo, the position I had applied for closed.

I received a phone call from HR again in September and the call only lasted about 30secs! I assume she had all my info from the call earlier in the year, so she was just calling to schedule an interview with the tech manager.

Manager called precisely on the scheduled time and said tell me about yourself while I try to follow along with you resume. I was prepared and had put my thoughts together, so I walked him through my interests, schooling, how I landed my first job, description of my duties through the various roles I had held at my current company. He described the position and I clarified a few of my concerns, then he said it seems that you will a good fit and I am going to ask HR to bring you over so our team can get to meet you and you can get to interact with them.

1 month later I went to Volvo CE Shippensburg and met with the entire team of 8. I was scheduled for 30 mins with 2 people at a time, so it was a 4hr interview.

Everyone asked me to just talk about myself and they picked on something that was relevant to their role and asked me a few general question on it. No trick questions, just a plan simply discussion and made me feel very comfortable all along.

Upon asking the hiring manager revealed that I was the first of 4 people being interviewed and that he plans to make a decision in 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • You have a doctorate so it tells us that you like challenges, is that why you are moving from your current position? We are not sure that the role we have to offer can keep you interested for long.   View Answer
    Not much negotiation... The hiring manger sent me an offer, which was lower than I had expected so I responded with what my expectations were and why.

He took a day to respond and provided a transparent explanation of why they are unable to raise the offer, but that he added a sign on bonus.

Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Volvo Construction Equipment.

First phone interview then on-site interview

Interview Questions
    • There are 3 bugs, one is flying, one is walking, one is not moving. How can they create a plane?   View Answer

Plant Controller Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Volvo Construction Equipment in February 2013.

The first interview was a phone interview with six people and lasted one hour and forty five minutes. The people were very nice and by the end they stated that they would update the website with were you are i.e.: moving forward, not being considered. They also mentioned that it would take a month from this interview to move forward with the next. After a month I called them and they stated they are close to hiring the Controller. So that was miss leading because they never update my profile and I was waiting for an answer back before I accepted other offers. I would still loved to go to work for this company.

Product Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Asheville, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Asheville, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Volvo Construction Equipment in November 2011.

Had a phone interview with the recruiter from an outside firm who then forwarded my information on to the supervisor at Volvo. Had a phone interview with him. Flew down for an in person interview a few weeks later (time delay because he was traveling and I wasn't in a rush). Interviewed with Supervisor and two other people in the position I would be in to see if I would work in the group dynamic. Interviewed with Director of Sales and Director of HR as well. Had lunch, saw the machines and headed home. Volvo covered all my costs for the flight and hotel. The interview was actually useful. It wasn't scripted, it wasn't a personality test. It was just a nice conversation about what I've done and what experiences I've had and where I want my career to go.

I was negotiating through a recruiting agency since they were the ones that originally found me. I simply showed them what I was currently making, cost of living estimates, raise estimates, ETC and told them they need to make it work my while to move, and they did.

Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shippensburg, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Volvo Construction Equipment in February 2012.

I got an email requesting an interview, they called and interviewed me on the phone. Interview lasted 30 minutes and we talked about my past experience.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shippensburg, PA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Volvo Construction Equipment in December 2011.

The interviewers were polite and nice. The senior engineers took time to describe the company, as well as the function of each department. Unfortunately, I later found out from the hiring manager that the position I was interviewing for was already put on hold: I still do not understand, why the company interviews candidates with no intent to hire or a position already placed on hold.

Interview Questions
    • A design you had to complete, given little or no initial information?   Answer Question

Product Engineer - Cabs and Operator Compartment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shippensburg, PA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Volvo Construction Equipment in July 2011.

Phone Interview, Onsite Interview Lasting 8 Hours. 30 day decision. Very Poor handling by the Human Resources. Still haven't received reinbursement for expenses.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a Situation where you had a obstacle to overcome and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Location

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shippensburg, PA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Volvo Construction Equipment in August 2010.

initial phone interview with an HR person and a purchasing manager. Fairly formatted questioning. Didn't go well, so I was surprised to get an invite to meet in person. Volvo paid up front for air fare and hotel but I had to pay out of pocket for rental car. To date I have NOT been reimbursed, despite faxing and mailing proper documentation for reimbursement. I could have found a rental car for a lot less than the one they booked for me.
    They were looking for someone from a large corp background and that wasn't me.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you resolved a conflict within a team environment.   Answer Question

Worked for Volvo Construction Equipment? Contribute to the Community!