Von Maur

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied online and interviewed at Von Maur.

Interview Details – Very attentive and detailed questions and interaction with senior management and department personnel, every store has an HR rep who is helpful and complete in explaining all matters relating to postion.

Interview Question – Situational questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation however, after I started, I learned that many in the store were able to ask (and receive) a higher starting wage so whatever they offer you, always aske for at-least $2-$3 more per hour....you'll probably get it, they did at my location (Chicago).

Very Easy Interview

Livonia, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Von Maur.

Interview Details – I was called shortly after applying online. I came in and interviewed with an HR assistant (position is no longer there), then was asked if I could stay for a second interview. I was interviewed by a floor manager. The interviews were very typical, they asked a bunch of nonsense questions and scenarios. I personally don't understand this sort of hiring process it gives you no sense of who you are about to hire. By the time I drove home, 10 minutes, I received a call asking if I wanted the position.

Interview Question – There wasn't any difficult questions. They were all what would you do if given this situation. Or name a time where you had to work with a team. The questions were all like that. Most of the time I didn't believe that my answer really mattered, just that I was talking eloquently and kept conversation going without hesitating.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. But they were not clear about what I would be payed. I kept being told $10 an hour or 10%, and I had no clue what that meant. I worked in the shoe department and that department is commission only and you get 10% of your sales.

Eden Prairie, MN

I applied online - interviewed at Von Maur in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied on-line one day and was basically called the next. I missed the call so I returned it the next day. The woman asked me if I had a minute for a few questions. She then asked questions that were related to my application. Like why there were a number of years that I was unemployed. She wanted to know why. Then she asked me if I could come in the next day. I could not but I said that I could the following. We agreed on a time for two days later. I first met with one person. After a half hour interview she asked if I could come back in an hour for another interview. I said that was fine. I came back for the second interview an hour later and again it lasted about a half hour.

Interview Question – She asked about when a coworker broke a policy of the company I worked for what did I do.   View Answer

Dayton, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Von Maur in February 2011.

Interview Details – The process was quite nice, interviewed with 3 people very easily, everything went pretty fast. First was the dept. manager, then that particular floor's manager, then the store manager. All were very nice in the interviews but.. my opinion on that changed after a little bit. THERE ARE some nice managers at Von Maur.. but you have to look real hard.

Interview Question – The questions were not hard at all, it's retail.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The pay was the most I had ever made as a young-person, the most we negotiated was if there were any future date(s) I needed to be scheduled off for.

Columbus, OH

The process took a day - interviewed at Von Maur in January 2011.

Interview Details – Was called and did a phone interview. Afterwards I was called in to do a one on one interview. I was asked about previous work experience.

I knew I didn't get the job by the end of the first interview and received a letter confirming I didn't get it 2 weeks later.

Interview Question – What did you like and dislike about your previous manager   Answer Question

Wichita, KS

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Von Maur in April 2011.

Interview Details – I walked in and asked for an application. She directed me to an instore computer to apply on. An hour or so after I applied, they called and I had a pleasant phone interview, There was two one on one interviews. They asked me very detailed and specific questions about previous customer service experience. After that, HR called and offered me the position, which I accepted.

Interview Question – Name a previous instance where you did not support a decision or policy of management, and what did you do as a response?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Livonia, MI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Von Maur in January 2011.

Interview Details – First, I received a phone call about my application, which turned into a phone interview. I was asked to come in for a 1:1 interview the following week. In the 1:1 interview, I was asked all the same questions as the phone interview, plus a few additional. The interviewer hardly made eye contact, she was too busy scribbling down every word that I said. Very standard interview questions. I was asked to come in for another 1:1 interview in a few days with a different person.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – The environment was just too uptight.

Full Time Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Von Maur in September 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process is standard. I submitted my resume online and the next day I received a phone call which consisted of about a 20 minute interview. I came in the next day and met with two different people and was asked standard interview questions. If you are professional and well spoken and have some background in retail or sales you should be fine.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you went out of your way for a customer.   Answer Question

Full Time Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Von Maur in June 2011.

Interview Details – The day after I submitted my online application, Human Resources called me for a phone interview, which I could take on the spot or schedule for another time. I did the phone interview at that time and mostly answered questions about my background, my perceptions of the company and of customer service. At the end of the interview we scheduled an in-person interview with the floor manager for the following day. The interview with the floor manager was almost exactly the same as the phone interview - mainly guaging personality. At the end of the interview I was given the option of meeting with the store manager at that time or scheduling a time to come back, and I chose to stay. This interview focused more on customer service philosophies, "how [did/would] you handle this situation" questions, and getting into the specifics of the position and company policies. At no time did I feel like I was being asked trick questions, and when asking about situations that I've never experienced in the workplace (I had no retail experience), they allowed me to talk about other relevant experiences or hypothesize what I would do. After two days the store manager called me back with a job offer, and they allowed me a couple days to finish interviewing with other companies, before I accepted the offer. My advice would be simply to come across as pleasant and agreeable, and come up with something in-depth to say even if you don't think you're answering the question exactly as they asked. It also pays to know about the company's customer service philosophy ahead of time.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to help a coworker.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Von Maur

Worked for Von Maur? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Von Maur Full Time Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Von Maur employees and interview candidates.