Von Maur Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015
Updated Mar 16, 2015

2.6

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Von Maur.

A LOT of "Tell me about a time when..." questions. I got interviewed my two different floor managers (not at the same time, got asked questions by one manager and then she asked if I had time to meet with the other manager to be interviewed). They both will end up asking the same questions (at least they did for me), so the second interview is a bit easier because by then you can just repeat what you said to the other manager. If you havent had a job before, you can just use examples from everyday life or from school.
    They also do a phone interview, depending on how you answer those questions they will either invite you in for a face to face interview or will tell you they will get back to you. If they say the latter, expect to get a letter in the mail basically saying they don't want to further the employment process.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to work with a difficult co-worker.   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Von Maur.

Was called for a quick over the phone interview, basic questions about where I see myself and my traits. Was then asked for an in person interview, where I met with the HR Manager and the floor manager. Easy interview questions, basic ones again. Was called a week later after they called my references and was offered the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Von Maur.

I was called by von maur just a few days after I applied online. The women calling was super nice and asked me if I had time for an interview and I said yes. Luckily, I had a friend working at von maur and she warned me about the interview. The interview asked me questions such as what are your career goals ? And where do I see myself in 5 years. The women also told me how it was important that part timers work weekends.

I was then told they wanted another interview in person so we scheduled an appointment for the next week. She asked me questions then went and got the floor manager and she interviewed me as well . All pretty easy questions if you come prepared. They then offered me the position .

Interview Questions
    • Name a time at your previous job were you had to deal with a hard coworker   Answer Question
    • Name a time were you disagreed with your companies policy   Answer Question

Part-Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Von Maur.

Phone interview at first, was contacted within hours of me submitting my application. Invited to interview at store afterwords, references were checked and then immediately thrown into a training course for a week on how to be a sales associate at Von Maur.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any hobbies that will get in the way of this job?   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate, I was happy with the conditions of the current working conditions

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Be early. Men should wear a suit and tie. Women - wear dress/skirt/suit (not pants), and heels or flats but not boots.Know what the store sells, medium high to high end products.

Negotiate if you are well qualified.

Clerical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davenport, IA

I applied online – interviewed at Von Maur.

Generic questions. They want to hear that your excited to work there and stay the rest of your life until you retire. They look for long term employees. They want to know if you can be a robot and listen and do what your told without thinking for yourself. They want to know how much work they can put on you and pay you as little as possible.

Interview Questions
    • What do you see yourself doing next year?   View Answer
    There is no negotiations for office staff

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Von Maur.

Applied online, went to an in-person interview. Wore business casual (blazer and pants) and was interviewed by HR and the store manager. Was asked basic questions about my life (career trajectory, how I would fit in at the company). I brought up specific examples from jobs listed on my resume and related them to the service world.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you worked with a negative customer response.   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied online – interviewed at Von Maur in October 2014.

i applied twice. Seems this store is always hiring because i got a phone interview the next day after each application. Took them more than a month to call back after phone interview. The in person interview was pretty easy, typical retail questions. They offered me a job about a week later (they WILL call references) i didnt get to pick my department or when i trained, i was just told what to do

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you has to handle multiple things at once   Answer Question
    Base pay is high for retail and they offered commission, there was no need to negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coralville, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coralville, IA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Von Maur.

After submitting the online application, the HR manager invited me for an interview by phone. We set up a mutual time to meet and conducted the first interview in person on the arranged date. One of the floor managers was the first interviewer, describing departments in need of staff while fishing for my willingness to work in those departments. As a man, I had reserves about the trust customers might place in me in the jewelry department, but the end result was positive. Following my agreement to work in jewelry, the HR manager came in to ask me several questions about why I was quitting my current job and availability questions. She treated her subordinates well and, quit working at Von Maur six months after my interview, leaving a hole no other manager has been able to fill adequately. Easy, standard interviews; combined the process took 40 minutes. The HR manager called me 10 minutes after the interviews and offered me the position.

Interview Questions
    • Prepare to answer standard retail experience questions. They will be more willing to negotiate wages if you have prior experience, even if it's at Michael's or Target. It has been over a year since the interview, but I can't recall any odd or challenging questions.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, since I had no prior retail experience. They offered 9.50/hour and not a penny more.

Ecommerce Assistant Interview

Upon arriving for an interview at the Von Maur ECommerce Center, you will first notice the SILENCE. This is the quietest professional building I've ever been in. The dress code is business formal, so I suggest dressing that way for the interview.

Process: you first receive a "screening" call that is like an interview. They ask basic questions like "Why do you want to work at Von Maur?" but also questions that require a little thought.

If you make it past the screening call, you'll have an in-person interview. ALL of the questions are situational. I wouldn't say they are too difficult, but you definitely want to reflect back on your past experiences and have examples ready before the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a difficult situation/conflict you had with a coworker.   Answer Question
    Nothing was negotiable.