VonChurch Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2014
Updated Sep 1, 2014

3.3

Technical Recruiter Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at VonChurch in July 2014.

I applied online and shortly after I was contacted for a phone screen. The screen lasted about 30 minutes and it ended with an offer for an in person interview for the following week. The in person interview was with the HR manager and someone who would be my supervisor. I was supposed to meet with a third person but that person was too busy to meet. The first conversation was relatively easy because the HR person was asking VERY general questions. The next part was with a supervisor who basically says that being a Technical Recruiter is not for everyone, and expect to fail. Also asked how I deal with failure and what be my motivation. Another question I was asked was to educate her about VonChurch. I heard back a few days later and did not get a call-back.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about recruiting people? (I have not been a recruiter before so this was tough).   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at VonChurch.

Emailed them via Craigslist, heard back within 3-4 days and had an initial phone screening 3-4 days later. Immediately got asked to come in for a follow up a few more days after that. The interview was more or less like a conversation. Even when I was asked more serious questions, we still ended up in a more informal end topic. I did not get passed this round, but they mentioned that the round after this would be to come in and be interviewed by three other employees.

Interview Questions
    • Draw a picture in each of the 100 squares. You have 5 min (~3seconds per square).   Answer Question
    • Would you choose a sword and shield, or trident and net?   Answer Question
    • If you could change something right now, why and what three things would you change about it?   Answer Question
    • If you and two other people were fighting for the last spot on the plane, what would you say to the flight attendant to try and get the spot? (Role play)   Answer Question

Tech Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at VonChurch in April 2013.

3hr in person round robin interview. Sit down with random people in-house that are all tech recruiters or the heads of the recruiting teams. Basically you get barraged with a bunch of random questions and asked if you can draw 100 different images in 5mins. Then asked to turn in the homework they give you finish in 2-3days that deals with sourcing candidates (do they actually use your sourcing talents to place in their pool of people to contact with regards to open jobs). They want to know how good you are at boolean searches, how good your linkedin network is, what sourcing techniques you use to gauge whether or not you could be a good fit in their barebones recruiting house.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days - interviewed at VonChurch in July 2013.

Vonchurch seemed like a very cool place to work. The people seemed nice and the vibe was laid back. That also was reflected in the interview process. The questions that was asked ranged from riddles to off the wall questions like "would you rather"... The thing I didnt like so much was that the one guy that was supposed to interview me was "busy" and I ended up getting an interview from some other person. I felt right then that they already decided that I was not going to get the job before the interview was even over.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was the role playing part of the interview. The interviewer asked if I was in an airport trying to get on a plane and there were 3 other people wanting to get my place on the plane how would I convince them to give me the seat. U have never taken acting class so I do not know what that had to do with the job.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at VonChurch in June 2011.

The most unprofessional interview process I've ever come across:
    At first the process was interesting and challenging. An initial phone interview followed by a one on one meeting in which the "non-conventional" questions that you see on glassdoor were asked (Example: if you were a gladiator and had to choose either a sword and a shield or a net and a trident, which would you choose and why).

After passing through these steps, I was notified that my final interview would be with one of the founders of the company. He called and said that I should show up at a location outside their new office, as finding the office inside the building is difficult. He told me to call him when I arrived so that he could let me in and do the interview.

I showed up early, gave him a call, and got no answer. Figuring he was busy, I waited around for a bit before giving him another call and leaving a message. Still no answer. I decided to call his cell number, which was included with his contact information, and left a message. More time went by without a reply.

At this point I'm a few minutes late, having stood outside the entire time, so I decided to go in the building and find the office. I asked a tenant and was directed where to go.

Once inside, I was helped by an employee and told them I was there for an interview. The woman in charge soon came over and asked me questions about when I had been scheduled to interview, who I was supposed to meet with, etc. She left me while she went to find out what the situation was.

She later came back and said that she would do the interview herself. The guy that was supposed to interview me had left for Las Vegas. As the interview began, it was obvious that she had no clue as to where I was in the interview process and treated me like it was my first interview there, rather than my last. I instantly got the feeling like she was put in an situation just as uncomfortable as mine, having an interview candidate thrown into her lap, and I felt as though the interview wasn't of any significance, as she was not the person to make the decision.

I was later informed that, although performing extremely well on the initial interview rounds, I was not offered a position. I explained to the hiring manager that the situation was uncomfortable, and she acted as though she didn't realize what had happened (whether this is true or not, I don't know).

Nobody called to apologize. My situation made me feel as though the sentiments reflected on glassdoor of VonChurch being arrogant are true. Imagine bringing on a new teammate and forgetting about them completely without any sense of remorse. Although I cannot vouch for working withing VonChurch, I can say that my initial impressions of the company aren't favorable.

Interview Questions
    • If you were a gladiator, would you rather have a sword and a shield or a net and a trident? Why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at VonChurch in November 2010.

It was fairly informal. I was asked questions that focused more on "chemistry fit" than an actual skills assessment. They will ask about your personal life, if you like to go out, etc. and then talk about how they like to go out. They might invite you to play beer pong.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation process. I'd ask to see their commission plan in writing upon receipt of offer because they have a tendency to change it on a whim.

Apprentice Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days - interviewed at VonChurch in March 2011.

I interviewed with several people throughout the day regarding my previous experiences and how they might be applicable to my future role. They also wanted to make sure that I was a good "cultural fit" based on my out-goingness and ability to drink.

Interview Questions
    • A man lives on the 6th floor of a house and takes the elevator down to the ground floor to go to work in the morning. Everyday, when he returns, he goes to the 5th floor and takes the stairs to the 6th floor to get to his apartment. Why doesn't he take the elevator all the way?   View Answer
    • What is the craziest thing you have ever done, do you regret it?   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at VonChurch in September 2011.

I thought my interview with Ale was by far one of the best inerviews I've ever had! It had such an interesting mix of off the wall questions and tasks that really made the interview fun. I can see how it really allows the interviewer to get an inside look at the candidate's thought processes and personality. I will never forget this interview and will definitely remember the questions and format to use myself, should my next career involve recruiting!

Interview Questions
    • If you were a gladiator, would you chose your weapons to be a sword & shield, or trident & net? Explain your choice.   Answer Question
    • Switch seats and interview the person interviewing you for the same position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at VonChurch in March 2011.

Wow.
    These guys gave an interview and a half.
    I walked in, sat down and was then met by a lady who mentioned VonChurch interview by values. The questions were fast and at first oddball and then as I relaxed I found that it was highly enjoyable. I walked away a bit dazed but appreciated the time and interest in thought process.
    I did not get the role but feel better prepared for other interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VonChurch in February 2010.

Probably the most awkward and uncomfortable I've ever been in an interview.
    Suggested wardrobe to better your chances-skinny jeans, plaid shirt and knit beanie.
    I made the fatal mistake of wearing a suit to the interview and the minute I walked in, I knew it was a fail! If I've ever been profiled & judged by an employer based soley on my attire, that was it. It was so blatant that the minute walked through that door and saw those piercing stares in my direction, I knew this would not go over very well and strongly considered bailing all together but I sucked it up.
    After waiting a long 5 minutes i was taken to what looked more like a storage room where I sat on a rink-dink pink plastic chair as the girl across from me proceeded to bombard me...i repeat, bombard me with question after question. After about the 2nd question and this girls stern demeanor, I knew that it was to going to be a fit and anxious to get out of there. She finally ended the interview maybe 10 minutes tops........ and not more than a couple hours later I received the courtesy "decline" email.

Interview Questions

Worked for VonChurch? Contribute to the Community!