Vulcan Interview Questions

Updated May 6, 2015

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Vulcan (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Called by HR and underwent a telephone interview. The HR person knew nothing about the field for the position and some of the questions were bizarre. They were interested in me but my current public sector salary was much higher than the top end of where they were willing to go--this surprised me as the aspiration of the program requires a great deal of expertise and experience. This tells me that they have little understanding of the cost of talent outside the IT field.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Vulcan.

Interview

HR staff were professional and the process was timely. I spoke with a wide cross section of individuals who asked thoughtful questions. It spoke to the quality of the people there and the potential they saw in their work.

Interview Questions

• Can you guarantee success?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiations were swift and, for the most part, fair. The relatively low number of vacation days was off-putting but they wouldn't budge.

Interview

Very sexist interview process. Could tell that the company was a very difficult place to work that was hostile to professional women. Not a place for the feint of heart. Very unprofessional. Definetly not a company that will attrack A-talent. Clearly this is a nightmare job that has had huge turnover. Do not accept if you are not a masochist.

Interview Questions

Interview

The interview process was well organized and communication was good. The interview lasted several hours meeting with a wide range of employees: from direct reports to peers to supervisors. Everyone was well prepared to interview with questions relevant to the position. It was a good opportunity to get a sense for the employer and the position.

Interview Questions

• There were several questions regarding certain scenarios or business cases specific to the business.   Answer Question

Finance Business Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Vulcan (Seattle, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

It started with a phone phone interview with HR with basic questions then a phone interview with the direct report manager followed with a day long in-person interview with 7 people. Very security oriented. Clear movement toward hiring former MS people. Tough place to work but bright and interesting people. Very evident they are still sorting out upper management issues. Start to finish 2 months.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were what do you want to know? First ever interview where I had to ask the questions for the most part   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not accept.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Vulcan (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I had a much easier experience than most people since I had an in with the hiring manager. Submitted my resume. About a week later, HR called to schedule the interview. During the interview, I first met with an HR person who asked basic employment eligibility questions and salary requirements. Then I met with one team member, followed by the hiring manager. Took about 1.5 hours overall.

Negotiation

I accepted their offer w/o changes.

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Vulcan.

Interview

Phone interview with HR. The lady was very nice, but here goes the review about the professional aspect: I expected more behavioral questions. Most of the interview was about technical things on my field, of course HR did not have any clue idea and it was very clear that her list of questions didn't come from HR, but probably from whom was going to be my immediate boss... this was very bad, also because the questions didn't make any sense... they were trying to be very technical, expertise-based, but the questions had fundamental huge errors! HR lady was taking notes, so I had to LITERALLY dictate my technical answers, she asked me to dictate in several times.... she was not familiar with my field, so I had to explain not only my accomplishments, but also the kind of companies I worked for, why they are internationally recognized, how my field works, etc... it was literally explaining to a kid that was taking notes about technical stuff and then passing them to the person that was going to make the decision of hiring you!! OMG, this was the worse interview in my 16 years of professional life.

Interview Questions

• The whole interview was bizarre, please read my comments.   Answer Question

Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vulcan (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Hiring Process was horrible the promises of pay was changed and then changed back.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vulcan.

Interview

Phone screen by recruiter - basic info

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Vulcan.

Interview

Had to interview with 14 people. I have interviewed other places with a lot of interviewers but this was a record. Then they wanted me to come back and meet with more people. I was concerned that if it took that much "consensus" to hire a person, what would it be like getting any work done? I decided it wasn't the right fit for me.

Interview Questions

• The usual questions - open ended, "tell me about a time" - lots of questions around flexibility, change management, working with a tight knit team   Answer Question