W.L. Gore

W.L. Gore Interview Questions

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

Entry Level Mechanical Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at W.L. Gore.

This was the second time having an interview with Gore and I was more familiar with the process. I interviewed with the same guy I had 6 months ago for an internship position.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work with us and not any other company?   Answer Question

EHS Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flagstaff, AZ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at W.L. Gore in January 2015.

Applied to job online, was called by HR and set up a phone interview with HR / safety group. Was called 3 days later for an onsite. Flew out and interviewed , was offered job in a hour.

80K for a safety specialist. I was happy

Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at W.L. Gore in January 2015.

W.L. Gore started with on campus recruitment events and information sessions followed by on campus interviews once they had finished taking applications. The on campus interview was fairly casual and short, with mostly behavioral questions asked. After the on campus interview I did not hear back for close to a month, then I was notified that I was selected for a final round of interviews in Flagstaff.

I flew down to Flagstaff for 2 long days of tours and interviews however the experience was positive and it seems like a great place to work.

Interview Questions
    • You have a process (black box) that takes inputs in and produces an output. You have 3 knobs to control the process. One controls the time the input is in the process, one controls the temperature of the process, and one controls the pressure of the process. How do you determine the ideal operating conditions?   View Answer

New Graduate Opportunities Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at W.L. Gore.

Applied online and got a behavioral phone screen. Gore is really committed to its company culture so this is really important. They like to ask questions about how you interact in teams, how you overcome obstacles; tell stories.

On site interview process was rigorously technical. Four sets of 45 minute interviews, 2 interviewers. Most interviewers came in and said, "We are going to dive deep into one of your technical experiences". This required drawing diagrams on the board, answering their questions on your technical background. One interview presented a diagram and had me explain how the device worked and then we walked through various case studies on that device in different scenarios.

The rest of the day was a plant tour where you learned all about Gore's products. Would have been nice to have this knowledge for the interview, but I'm sure the interviewers get tired and having the morning session has its own benefits.

Overall, very fun, personable, and enjoyable process. Associates really care about the company culture and like to talk about that relative to their technical background.

Manufacturing Operator Interview

A bit drawn out, but painless. They are mostly interested in your culture fit, so work on being able to describe yourself and how you've worked on a team as preparation for interviews.

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at W.L. Gore.

I applied online for their new graduate positions and had an on-campus interview. The interview was with two individuals. They asked insightful questions based on my resume to delve deeper into my skills and how I react in various situations. Some of their questions, however, were extremely open ended (i.e. describe something technical).

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to describe a time when I "got my hands dirty." I didn't really know what they meant - whether building something or being involved in all the steps of a project (e.g. a grunt). They didn't really clarify and said anything was good...they didn't really mean it.   View Answer

Statistician Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at W.L. Gore.

I was interviewed for the Statistician position. The interview was held in a small room in the student center. First, the interviewer introduced himself a bit and cut to the questions directly. He told me that I had to assume that he knew nothing about terminology of statistics, and I have to make explanation as clear as possible.
    1) what's p-value?(example)
    2) what's null hypothesis and alternative hypothesis?
    3) a example of sample testing.
    4) Very applied question( forgive me, can't remember)

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at W.L. Gore.

First interview I had was conducted by phone. HR person who called me was on the East Coast, while I am in AZ. The day I was called I had just had oral surgery a few hours before and was still pretty drugged, but the guy did not seem to notice. Questions were pretty basic; how did you find out about our job, ever worked for us before, do you know any Gore Associates, etc. What was my last job and why did I leave, what duties did I have there, etc. Thanked me for my time and said I would me contacted in about a week if they were interested in a second interview.

I was actually contacted two weeks later for an interview. I had to go to Flagstaff for the interview even though the position was in Phoenix (team leader based in Flag and unable or unwilling to go to Phoenix I guess.) Drove 3 hours to get to the interview; arrived 20 minutes early but was not called back until 15 minutes AFTER my appointed interview time. Interview team consisted of three people: the "team lead," a "business leader" and another "associate" who appeared quite bored and clearly did not want to be there. (Caught her glancing down at her phone, which was on her lap, during the interview.) Interview lasted only 20 minutes and was not all that different from my screening interview but for one question. (See below.) After interview was over I was told that I would hear from them "In a few days" about the position.

Three weeks later I was finally called by an HR rep and given an offer, which I declined because I had already taken a job with another company. Not sure if the hiring process was actually that slow, or if they offered the position to someone else first, got turned down, and so went with me instead. Regardless, hiring process took entirely too much time. Credit to HR though for mailing me detailed directions on how to get to the plant in Flagstaff and where to park, and providing a form that I filled out and sent in for reimbursement of my gas expenses.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I had ever been in a situation where a co-worker's work habits were affecting everyone else's ability to do the job, and what I did about it. Knowing that Gore is an extremely "team oriented" company, I said that I would first ask my coworker if they needed any help, and if so, I would try to show them what they could do to improve their own work. If that did not work, I might take the matter to a team leader and ask for guidance. This seemed to be what they wanted to hear.   Answer Question

I had already been offered, and accepted, another job because I thought Gore was not interested in me, since I had not heard from them in three weeks. In my experience if a company wants to hire you, they get back to you in a few days, not a few weeks. Since nobody bothers to send out rejection letters or emails anymore, I figured they weren't interested. They need to speed up their process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flagstaff, AZ

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at W.L. Gore.

Was a long time ago. Two rounds of interviews where "liking" of applicant and how one would fit in carried more importance than skill set and experience. At that time the application, interview process went very quickly when compared to today.

Interview Questions
    • Cannot remember any question which was unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Training Capacity Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at W.L. Gore.

I have had several interview opportunities with this company over the last few years. Feel more like they are comparison shopping just to go through the motions as opposed to truly seeking out the skills needed to fill the role. Most often the job description does not reflect the most important skill or knowledge they are seeking and then this becomes the reason you are not considered for the position. I always ask recruiters what concerns they have regarding my skills or qualifications for the position in which I am interviewing and am consistently told my skills and experiences are what they are looking for. The interview skills of "hiring leaders" are poor. There is no rapport building. NONE. Again, it feels as if they are only going through the motions to check off that an external was "considered".

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was the first question during a recent initial phone screen with the hiring Leader - "What questions do you have?"   View Answer