W.L. Gore

Relevance Date Difficulty

General Ledger & Manufacturing Accountant Interview

General Ledger & Manufacturing Accountant
Elkton, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at W.L. Gore in February 2009.

Interview Details – First I had 2 phone screens. Next I interviewed at the job site. It was grueling, long and draining. Met with teams of associates, 2 at a time for 5-6 hours total over 2 days. You meet with as many associates in different functional areas as possible.

Interview Question – Your greatest achievement and how it benefited the company.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Quick. They called and offered me the job 2 days after the interviewing process was done. From what I've heard, this is the exception and not the normal turnaround. The Finance team was desperate to get the position filled ASAP as it had been open for 6 months. My interview date was in February 2007 but the drop down below only goes back to 2009.

Lab Specialist Interview

Flagstaff, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at W.L. Gore in November 2013.

Interview Details – Read previous Gore interview posts before my panel interviews. My interview, almost identical interview process from what I had read.

Two panel interviews of both men women. Each panel had one pessimist, seemed agitated by being there by their tone. One smacked gum and popped it throughout the interview. I was asked only once about my skills and experience. Each panel member had questions but very general. The interview questions were not specific toward my experience, skills or education so not sure why I was there. My experience and education were an exact match from their job description.

Had to call the recruiter a week after my interview and was told my skills were not close to the job description. Why did I get a phone interview, flown out there and panel interviews if I did not qualify for the job? There is really no commonality to look for when interviewing with this company, guessing they want you or they don't no matter what you have to say. Why ask behavioral questions if no one on the panel is qualified to interpret the answers?

Interview Question – What year did you graduate from college? I answered it but it is an illegal question.
The most difficult decision you had to make? What was the cost?
How do you handle conflict?
  Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Tucson, AZ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at W.L. Gore in October 2013.

Interview Details – This was an on-campus interview at the University of Arizona. There were 3 male engineers interviewing me (probably in their late 20s, early 30s). They asked me basic questions to start and then wanted to see my thinking process and started asking weird questions. They asked me how many planes there are in the United States. Then they asked how I came up with that answer. Then they asked if I couldn't use the internet, how would I find out the exact number of planes in the US. Then they showed me a knee brace and told me to tell me how I would design a knee brace. They wanted me to be VERY detailed in my explanation which was annoying. They then asked how I would devise a manufacturing process for my design. I suppose they want to see how creative you are. Then they let you ask questions at the end.

Interview Question – The question about how many planes are in the US was tricky.   Answer Question

New Graduate Engineer Program Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at W.L. Gore in October 2013.

Interview Details – I had an On-campus interview with two young Engineers. One interviewer asking questions while the other took notes. The questions were all basic and behavioral related to understand my personality and characteristics. The whole process takes approximately 3-4 months as outlined by Gore workshop. I have been offered a second on-site interview after 3-4 weeks wait period.

Interview Question – Went over my Resume with me, asking questions related to each of my experiences.   Answer Question

Quality Engineer Interview

Quality Engineer
Flagstaff, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at W.L. Gore.

Interview Details – Three hour interview. Two different groups, you will not work with any of the panel. WL Gore is so arrogant - we interview you also. It makes it difficult to make a final decision when you have no idea with whom you will be working.

Interview Question – One the conference room white board a drawing of a "diving" board on a box. "What factors do you need to consider, or how will you approach - to calculate max weight/pressure you can put on the board before it breaks".   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Took two months for WL Gore to get back with me after the interview. Despite the fact that I called several times, no call back, then suddenly an offer. Salary negotiation was not possible.

Operations Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at W.L. Gore in October 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was conducted a few weeks after meeting the representatives at University career fair. The interview was fairly straight forward, including behavioral, technical and situational questions. Overall, the interview was about 30 minutes, and questions are generated off of projects or accomplishments listed on your resume. The process itself seemed a bit unorganized, so be prepared to wait.

Interview Question – None. Was very straight forward.   Answer Question

New Grad Engineering Program Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at W.L. Gore in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through our university career service system and got an on-campus interview (30mins). I was interviewed by two engineers and overall it was quite informal. Few typical behavioral questions were asked in the beginning such as "How did you get to know about Gore?" "Why do you think you would be a good fit for our company" After a brief introduction, we went through details of projects I listed on my resume. 30mins went super fast and towards the end, they asked me "what do you do for fun" types of questions which were comforting. Make sure to ask them questions at the end of the interview to express your interest. It's been about one week after my on-campus interview and I have not heard back from them yet. I suppose the on-site interview will be much difficult.

Interview Question – What do you do for fun?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Associate Interview

Associate
Flagstaff, AZ

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at W.L. Gore.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews with other associates and an HR Rep, prior to flying me on-site for two 15 minute interviews, one with the technical side, one with the people skills side

Interview Question – There really were no difficult questions. They were all very basic interview questions, including the technical ones, such as what would pinging an outside domain troubleshoot.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary only

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
Middletown, NJ

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at W.L. Gore in February 2013.

Interview Details – Very technical interview, asked me questions on basic principles from various courses. Not hard just be ready to spit out some simple concepts very accurately. They were not looking for social skills really. The position was a significant amount of individual lab work. They ask about how much you know about the company. Ask a lot of questions about this because they are very diverse and it may be easier to relate to a topic you would like to talk about.

Interview Question – "Name a time you went above and beyond what was asked of you"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Took another position

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Flagstaff, AZ

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at W.L. Gore.

Interview Details – Talked to hiring manager on phone once, received a phone call from the person who would be my supervisor, and then finally with a 3rd phone call I was asked to fly in for an interview. There were 2 portions of the interview; one with a set of HR type people and one with the group I would be working with. After the interview, it took a few weeks to hear a response about the status of the position (despite me leaving messages with the HR rep) but when I did hear back he told me the job went to a current employee who applied as well, but maybe I could be placed somewhere else within the company. I went in for another interview and the same format was used during the interview including some of the same people which made the interview awkward. After the interview I found out I didn't get the job due to seemingly being disinterested in the job. I had asked so many questions the first time around and I knew a lot about the company already so I hadn't needed to ask as many during the 2nd interview.

Interview Question – A lot of questions that "have no answer"; just trying to see your thought process.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at W.L. Gore