W.W. Grainger

Updated Jan 29, 2015
Updated Jan 29, 2015

31 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

I was contacted for a phone screen and then asked to take an online behavioral test. The panel interview was then set up.

I interviewed for two hours. Two separate panels. One with only the hiring manager.

Other Interview Reviews for W.W. Grainger

Account Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Very professional process, used as training for new managers. Several people in the room but only two asking questions, the rest just observing. Strong focus on personality and fitting into culture. relaxed atmosphere with obviously knowledgable managers

Interview Questions
    • Strongest weak point was only difficult question; mostly a review of resume and questions on past employers   Answer Question
    Interviewed in morning and felt good about interplay with 2 interviewers. Received an offer in email that afternoon, and accepted. I like that they didn't drag out the process like most companies.

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

I applied online and was given an automatic response that they were moving forward with another candidate. I received a call a week later about the role and was told what I need to prepare for the interview.

The interview process is composed of 3 stages. The first stage is a call with the HR specialist from HQ offices who filters out candidates for the role by screening applicants based on experience, business acumen, and organizational fit.You will also take a chally exam to see if you qualify for the interview. If you pass than you advance to the second step. The second step is follow by a face to face interview with the hiring manager and another manager who can provide feedback to the hiring manager based on the interviewees responses and performance. The final step is a call with the hiring managers boss who asks questions regarding the role and wants to confirm the positive feedback given by the hiring manager.They use the STAR ( Situation, Task , Action, Result) process during the interviews so be ready to speak broadly about your past experience in terms of projects and their outcomes.

The experience was pleasant however, most of the hiring managers have a bench and I am not sure why they post to externals if they have a selected candidate in mind. Also, when I interview it was not very diverse at all. Which was a red flag for me since the market the role is was very diverse.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell us about a moment when a peer was going through a difficult situation whether at work or in his personal life and tell us what you did to help him/her and what the result was   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Rushed to do interviewing so they can hire in a 3 week period go through 4 interviews and get no response until you have to follow up. They constantly were in contact and I was told that they loved my work ethic and overall skills and then send me an email telling me there were stronger candidates.

Interview Questions
    • They want you to answer questions in their wording.   View Answer

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Different managers that really didn't understand the job per say but yet they were in on the interview process which didn't make sense. They had store managers that were interviewing account managers and they didn't even understand what the account manager role was. ve

Interview Questions
    • All interviews are different for each role so its hard to say.   Answer Question
    long and painful

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

First there is a screening phone call by a recruiter, then a Chally personality test, then 2 interviews with hiring level managers and finally an interview with a VP. They took quite some time to give me their final decision. All interviews were basically variations of standard sales interviews where they are looking for STAR answers.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you mentored a peer and the positive benefit both of you gained.   Answer Question
    Salary was negotiable, also able to negotiate relocation costs.

Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in August 2014.

Went smoothly and in a timely fashion. Got to meet with all departments that affect your day to day job. Company is focused on every employee and that showed throughout the process

Interview Questions
    • No super hard questions. Standard interview questions. Why may you be hesitant to take this position?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Very thorough, many layers, professional, once an offer was made it went quick, training for 2 weeks non-consecutive, very detailed, typicial sales type-drink the cool ade, once done you are out in the field figuring it out

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the unusual, standard interview questions   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Multiple interview process begins with telephone call from HR in Chicago. After passing that one, then there was an interview with the District Sales Manager and boss. The 3rd interview was at the local branch with the District Ops Mgr and the District Sales Mgr. After passing those interviews, I received the offer letter via mail and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • There were not really any difficult or unexpected questions asked during the interviews. Obviously, learn all you can about Grainger and demonstrate that knowledge during the interviews.   Answer Question
    There were no negotiations after the acceptance, the salary negotiations really happened during the phone interviews where the HR person was probing for salary comfort level.

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at W.W. Grainger in February 2014.

Interview consisted of hiring manager and two people that were currently in the position. Interview was not out of the ordinary... "name a time when you had a negative encounter with a client, how you handled it" blah, blah, blah. Hiring manager was nasty and argumentative. Realized I didn't want the job on the spot, she was the one that I'd have to report to.

Interview Questions
    • I am going to ask you one more question and you HAVE to answer it, "Why should I not hire you?"   View Answer