W.W. Grainger

Updated Oct 23, 2014
Updated Oct 23, 2014

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Account Manager Interview

Very thorough, many layers, professional, once an offer was made it went quick, training for 2 weeks non-consecutive, very detailed, typicial sales type-drink the cool ade, once done you are out in the field figuring it out

Interview Questions
  • Nothing out of the unusual, standard interview questions   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for W.W. Grainger

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Multiple interview process begins with telephone call from HR in Chicago. After passing that one, then there was an interview with the District Sales Manager and boss. The 3rd interview was at the local branch with the District Ops Mgr and the District Sales Mgr. After passing those interviews, I received the offer letter via mail and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • There were not really any difficult or unexpected questions asked during the interviews. Obviously, learn all you can about Grainger and demonstrate that knowledge during the interviews.   Answer Question
    There were no negotiations after the acceptance, the salary negotiations really happened during the phone interviews where the HR person was probing for salary comfort level.

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at W.W. Grainger in February 2014.

Interview consisted of hiring manager and two people that were currently in the position. Interview was not out of the ordinary... "name a time when you had a negative encounter with a client, how you handled it" blah, blah, blah. Hiring manager was nasty and argumentative. Realized I didn't want the job on the spot, she was the one that I'd have to report to.

Interview Questions
    • I am going to ask you one more question and you HAVE to answer it, "Why should I not hire you?"   View Answer

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in January 2014.

Grainger recruiter contacted me about account mgr position. Waited 2 weeks after initial contact with recruiter. Poor follow up on the part of their recruiter. Waste of my time.

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in October 2013.

Behavioral questions. Prepare with STAR answers.

Interview Questions
    • What was the largest customer you lost and what actions did you take.   Answer Question
    I asked for $5K more, they countered with $1,500 more.

Account Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in June 2013.

Was contacted by Grainger "Talent Acquisition Scout" who saw my resume on a job board. Told me there was an opening locally and they were interested in me. Asked him about who was currently handling this position and I was told an individual was on a PIP and was on his way out. Led me to believe there was an actual job opening, later found out this was not the case. He explained the hiring process and sent me a self assessment form and a link to the Chally psychological tool. After completing both was contacted again by same recruiter and told I would be receiving call from another Talent Acquisition Scout about setting up an interview with the District Manager. This new recruiter called me and informed me there was no job opening at present but they were looking to build up a book of talent in case something came available and she wanted me to meet with District Manager. I asked her about the local Account Manager who I was told was on a PIP and she flat out denied this and said that a job could be possibly open in 40 days. Told her I had no interest in meeting with the District Manager just to help them build up a book of local talent in the event someone got fired, but that she was welcome to call me back when they had a real job available. I guess it's proactive to build up a stable of horses you draw from if the one you're using can no longer pull a plow. But from what I can ascertain, they've gone through three horses down here in the last five years. Maybe they ought to put some of these talent scouts out to pasture and feed the horses pulling the plows a little more hay.

Interview Questions
    • Would I be willing to meet with a District Manager when no job was actually available?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

The hiring process is very cumbersome. You start with a phone interview from a recruiter, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. If you pass the phone checks, then you go in for face to face interviews. I had two face to face interviews and then waited a week to hear back with an offer. The start date was over three weeks later. The entire process was 7 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was, "Why do you think you would be a good fit to the Grainger culture?"   View Answer
    The company accepted my salary and vacation request.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Situational and open ended questions: "Tell me about a time when...." Nothing too cutting edge or different.

Pretty simple. But the person you work for does not do the negotiating. It's done by someone in Talent Acquisition. Was pretty easy to command a top salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at W.W. Grainger in August 2012.

Contacted by a recruiter from California for a position open in Wisconsin. I was asked to attend an open house and scheduled an interview. When I showed up there were 11 people waiting. After waiting for 25 minutes I was given 10 minutes to meet with someone.

Interview Questions
    • No tough questions really, just be ready to talk about your experience quickly.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in October 2010.

Long process that includes several interviews with District Sales Manager