W.W. Grainger

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Branch Manager

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview Details – The process was very detailed, I met with two sets of interviewers, and they asked a variety of questions mainly how I dealt with staff.

Interview Question – No difficult questions, all were pretty general questions one would expect when interviewing for a management position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I went in with a number I required and they matched it. Very easy.

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in July 2013.

Interview Details – Phone screen. interview with a branch manager, panel interview with two market managers and another branch manager.

Interview Question – All behavior based. Tell me about a time...STAR based questions.   View Answer

Brooklyn, NY

The process took 1 week - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in April 2011.

Interview Details – Applied and was called an hour later to schedule a phone interview. Did the interview that afternoon, and it took about an hour. This was a very in-depth phone interview, consisting of questions that required a lot of specific details about my accomplishments in my career. Interviewer made it feel more like a casual conversation than a job interview. Felt very confident, especially since the interviewer told me that I was a "great candidate for this position."
Received an email with benefits information and more about the culture at Grainger. It really looks like a great place to work.
Received another email about a week later, which was a form email telling me that I didn't get the job.

Interview Question – Tell me about a project that you managed that contributed to the bottom line of the company.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Saint Paul, MN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in August 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online and a week later or so I received an email to set up a phone interview. The interview was pretty straight forward. Basic questions that all managers should be able to answer. After passing the initial phone interview, I was told that I needed to pass a an assessment test to see if I was the right fit and to ensure that I could handle the basic math needed to analyze the reports. I had to go to a special office and take the test in a private room where I was given 90 minutes to complete. Once I'd completed the assessment, I almost immediately received an email saying that I'd passed and that my resume would be passed on to to the hiring manager.
A week later I received an email asking if I could come in for an interview with the District manager the very next morning. Luckily I had the morning off so I came in. The DSM was very nice and very straight forward which I liked. He asked a lot of behavioral questions to get an idea of my management skills. After an hour or so I left not really getting a good read from him on whether he liked me or not. He must have because a week later I received another phone call to set up an interview with the other branch managers for the very next morning. The interview with the Branch Managers was much more relaxed. They were both very friendly and informative. The asked me a lot of questions about my life outside of work as well as many behavioral questions.
It's been 5 days and I haven't heard anything yet but I'm hoping that after all of the interviews and tests that I've gone through that I'll be awarded the position. I feel like the managers really liked me and my recruiter said that they just wanted to make sure that I'd fit in well with their culture and mentality.

Interview Question – How would you handle coming in to a situation where you will have older and much more experienced individuals working under you?   Answer Question

Branch Manager

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview Details – Panel interview. The more intersting you are the better. Questions based on problem, your approach and solution, what did you learn from it.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weaknes?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The hiring managers have a range of salary to work with. Other benefits are standard.

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!