W.W. Grainger Interview Questions in Chicago, IL

Updated Apr 10, 2015

Product Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Northbrook, IL).

Interview

A Human Resources Manager, Supply Manager and Operations Manager conducted the interview. The interviews were one-on-one, on time and professional. The discussions were scheduled on different days. Questions revolved on supply chain management and skills needed to manage parts information for product offered by the company. The process from recruitment to on-boarding was short and straight-forward.

Information Systems Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

I was flown out to their headquarters in Chicago. There were about 9 other applicants besides myself. We were separated into groups of 5 and further interviewed individually. I spoke with three employees who asked very pointed questions, mostly probing my understanding of development cycles. They were all friendly, but it was clear that the work was more intense than their personalities. The atmosphere overall was laid-back.

Interview Questions

• If you were an executive looking to give interns a project for the summer, what would you assign them?   Answer Question

Account Relationship Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Northbrook, IL).

Interview

behavioral interview lasts about one hour with some difficult questions about your previous job. Likes and dislikes. "The will do a background check and a drug test before you can be hired.

Negotiation

Supply Chain Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL

Application

interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lake Forest, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

I got my first round interview through a career fair at my school. I was invited back to their headquarters where I was put through 4, 45 minute interviews and a case study in a row. The interviews were very conversational and not to dificult

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions... What would you do..? name a time...?   Answer Question

Global Supply Chain Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lake Forest, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

First step was on campus meet up at a coffee house by campus. next was an on campus interview. i heard back a week later and they flew me to chicago to to final round interviews. 2 nights. first night, tour of the offices and then networking with full time employees in the supply chain area. shuttled to hotel. picked up next morning with my things and taken back to headquarters. there were two sessions, morning and afternoon. i got the morning session. 4 interviews. you stay in one room. they give you water and a few snacks. And managers from 4 different departments come and interview you. all completely different interview styles. then at the end the HR rep comes in and gives you a case study question. Want to see if you can think fast and rationally. then they gave both sessions lunch.

E Commerce Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied in campus job fair and received an email in one week later told me that send the resume to recruiter. Then they scheduled a time for campus interview, before that, there is a pre-interview. For the process of interview, there are three recruiters, and they just ask some general questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? What can you do for this postion   Answer Question

Territory Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lincolnshire, IL) in July 2014.

Interview

Took a phone interview, pretty basic and straight forward. Then the in-person interview with HR manager and TSR manager. Didn't get offered the position because they were looking for one position.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Applied online, contacted by recruiter. Scheduled phone interview. Recruiter was great until inquiring about current salary, after we had determined that the range for the position aligned on both parts. Recruiter demanded that salary history be told to her otherwise the interview process could not continue. This was within 10 minutes of having a first time conversation - not sure what relevancy current salary had, especially so early on. Recruiter was very demeaning and antagonistic, as well as conceited stating she had "so much experience and knows the way it works more than me". Even gave the line she was working on my behalf instead of the company, which is ridiculous because the company pays her salary. Overall the worst simple phone screen ever.

Interview Questions

• Could not get away from wanting to know current pay.   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lake Forest, IL).

Interview

The interview process was very organized. HR provided materials for review about the company and values. An interview list was also provided that contained the names and titles of the interviewers. Everyone was on-time. One of the interviewers was a manager in HR, who interviewed for "fit" in the company culture. After the interview, the process moved very quickly. There was no second interview and the offer was made quickly. The head of the department made himself available for any follow-up questions. A very positive experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Imagine Grainger would like to move to a from a marketing channel-specific optimization model to a customer-centric world. What is your approach to make this happen that would best maximize revenue?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate. The HR person was very responsive and handled the process very well.

Corporate Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

Interview

Phone Interview, Face to Face with 2 people & then another of the same on the same day.

Interview Questions

• What did your most recent manager give you in a performance review as negative performance? What was it? What did you do?   Answer Question