W.W. Grainger

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Atlanta, GA

Interviewed at W.W. Grainger

Interview Details – Received invite from Recruiter, phone interview went well. Then met with District Managers and Account Managers-thought they went very well.Watch out for this Company they conduct many EEOC interviews. Heard thru a mutual friend of one of the DSMs that mine was just that.. Thanks will never get that 4 hrs back..

Interview Question – Typical questions, must answer in STAR format   Answer Question

Government Account Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview Details – The interview process is composed of 3 stages. The first stage is a call with the HR specialist from HQ offices who filters out candidates for the role by screening applicants based on experience, business acumen, and organizational fit. The second step is follow by a face to face interview with the hiring manager and another manager who can provide feedback to the hiring manager based on the interviewees responses and performance. The final step is a call with the hiring managers boss who asks questions regarding the role and wants to confirm the positive feedback given by the hiring manager. If you make it past the second interview process its a done deal practically. They use the STAR ( Situation, Task , Action, Result) process during the interviews so be ready to speak broadly about your past experience in terms of projects and their outcomes. I had a good experience interviewing with Grainier and got the Job. I found the industry exiting and the work rewarding. One year later I am still pleased. Good luck!

Interview Question – Please tell us about a moment when a peer was going through a difficult situation whether at work or in his personal life and tell us what you did to help him/her and what the result was   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very fair and reasonable. They offered me a good package from the start

Government Account Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in May 2013.

Interview Details – The HQ recruiter was great and picked my resume out for the outstanding qualifications. I did the Chally test and application as instructed and was scheduled for an onsite interview.
  Here's where is went downhill - a 2 person team was waiting comprised of a senior and junior manager. The senior manager was very professional and asked relevant questions. Every time he asked the junior manager if he had any follow-on comments or questions the junior manager would roll his eyes and say he had nothing. I could tell the junior manager didn't like me as soon as I walked in the door I can only assume being over 50 doomed me from the start.
  Since my experience and credentials are significant it would seem they are looking for the "young/pretty" people.

Interview Questions

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in August 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted a resume to Grainger based on my experience in selling to state and local governments. The position was posted as being in Wash, DC. I received a call from an HR person about a week later, and we had a very brief conversation regarding a time to get together in more depth and an interview screening form she wanted me to fill out.

I filled out the documents, which asked for relevant experience, work history, etc. Normal stuff. We had the call, and I thought we clicked! Details on the job were a bit thin, but I'm used to that when talking with the HR folks. The HR woman said that based on the initial interview she was going to recommend me to the hiring manager for an interview. She gave me estimated dates and locations. Then, nothing.

I called and emailed the HR person several times looking for next steps, but did not get a reply. At one point I called to ask, "If I am not a good fit simply tell me." I heard nothing back. I guess I should not be too disappointed by this lack of response, but at the same time Grainger was running radio ads for the very first time in the DC market looking to grow its mindshare. I had many friends and former associates call me and say, "Hey, I heard an ad for Grainger! What do you think about them?"

At this point, I don't think much about them. If the HR woman had been even in the least responsive, even if to blow me off politely, I'd be able to give at least a neutral view on them. Can't do that now.

Baton Rouge, LA

The process took a day - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in February 2011.

Interview Details – I got a lead for this opportunity through a friend who knew someone leaving this position. She put me in touch with the guy and he liked my resume and said he felt like I had a good shot at the job. He then passed me on to one of his counterparts and this guys sent me a link to apply for the job. I filled out the online app and waited about 2 to 3 weeks for the phone interview. The lady who interviewed me asked me several situational based questions and passed me through to the 1:1 interview with the district sales manager. She told me to be prepared for the STAR method inteview questions i.e. "tell me about a time when you failed to get an order. What did you do to turn the situation around?". I had the 1:1 interview the following week with the District Sales Manager from New Orleans. He interviewed me for 1 hour and 15 minutes and it was pretty intense. I did the best I could and felt like I interviewed well, but at the end of the interview I could tell he was probably not going to hire me by some of the things he said and his body language. Then...it was crickets for the next 3 freaking weeks. I finally called the lady in Chicago who I'd phone interviewed with and she informed me they were moving forward with another candidate. It turns out they headhunted the position and hired a 24 year old with a masters degree away from UPS. I didn't appreciate being left twisting in the wind for that amount of time. I also have heard they are going after a younger demographic, so that would've been nice to know since I am 41. I was told that the DM felt like I was more of a manufacturers rep and didn't have the right kind of experience selling solutions, but they put you through a 14 week training program, so I think I would've had to learn how to do it their way anyway. Such BS...I wasted a lot of time and lost a lot of sleep waiting for some sort of feedback, and if I hadn't called myself I may never have formally learned I didn't get the job. I never received a formal letter or email telling me 'thanks, but no thanks'. This is a huge company, and since this is a down economy they can pick who they want. I've heard that people who've worked there for years have left because things are changing for the worst and they weren't happy.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when there was a major problem and what did you do to fiix it (paraphrasing).   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Rice, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in May 2010.

Interview Details – I heard of this position from a current employee. The phone interview with HR was easy and I made it to the 2nd round which was a panel interview. Two hours and two groups of 3 panel interviewers. Study hard on situational questions like "Tell me about a time when a customer had a problem with your service or product. What was the situation, what did you say and what was the outcome?". You will have a lot of these questions from the interviewer, so, do some research.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time a customer had a problem with your product or service, what did you say, what was the outocme?   Answer Question
  • What are the job responsibilities you like the least at your current employer.   Answer Question

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!