W.W. Grainger Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

Vice President Interview

Interview

Lengthy process with numerous interviews over multiple days (both over the phone and in-person); while, this provided the opportunity to meet key stakeholders and to get a feel for the organization.

Interview Questions

• Inquiries on experience, interests and ambitions. Dialogue afforded the opportunity to showcase value-add and offer outsider perspectives and insight.   Answer Question

Content Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lake Forest, IL).

Interview

Had a phone interview prior to in person interview. Regular interview questions. Was interviewed by 3 employees from different teams. Lasted approximately an hour with all 3 in person interviews.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Describe your analytical experiences. What types of excel functions do you know how to use?   Answer Question

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

Messaged by recruiter and asked if interested in a career with them. I accepted to learn more about the company and had a talk with a recruiter who called me and scheduled another call with me. After that I talked with her than she referred me to an 1 on 1 interview somewhere else and after that I had to speak to someone else and do the same exact thing again luckily the last call after that I spoke to someone higher up and it went smoother. Later that day I was offered the position and accepted but than I was expected to fill out so much paperwork immediately at such a short notice. The letter states 24 hours to fill everything out which is overwhelming.. I am not sure how I feel about this process anymore it seems like they want me to work for them but I need some time to exit out my other things and handle other personal matters. Very nice people but not everyone can complete the tasks required at such a short notice.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Just another sales job.

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

First a phone interview with the corporate recruiter and an online personality test. Followed by a second phone interview with the recruiter. Next, an onsite interview with DM's. They use the STAR format which I was prepared for thanks to the knowledgable recruiter. However, when onsite they never asked any questions pertaining to my experience managing large, complex global accounts which really surprised me. Instead they asked about my "elevator pitch" which is something to ask a Territory Sales Rep who is in a cold calling role. I had an entire book of examples prepared to showcase specific solutions I have solved for clients and they never asked about it. They seemed to be more concerned about how I would fit into their culture. If you are from a business environment that encourages reps to really think outside the box and gives you the freedom to run your business without an overload of activity metrics I would not recommend interviewing here. Very PC and micromanaged culture and unless I'm wrong this culture seems to hurt their AM's more than it helps....but also a very good company with much to offer customers, IMO. Based on my experience, I'd say they are most likely prepping for a reorganization.

Interview Questions

• Several questions pertaining to my sales performance in previous roles.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

Basic questions, mainly about what I have done, and explained what the positions is, and what expectations are. Unexpected question was compensation, previous position had a higher base then they offer but I anticipated that, just was not ready for a specific question, but it was easy to answer.

Interview Questions

• How many accounts did I manager in the past?   1 Answer

Warehouse Worker Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger in August 2015.

Interview

Everyone was extremely nice. Very organized company very nice to they really show their love to their employees. I'm starting as a temp and I feel like I already work here I love it. I will be here very long.

Interview Questions

• When was there a time you did something that you felt proud of?   Answer Question

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincolnshire, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lincolnshire, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process proceeded quickly. First, I met a recruiter at a local job fair. I got an email within 1 week asking if I had time for a phone interview with her. Later that day, I found out I made it to the next round and was asked to schedule an in-person interview within 3 days. The in-person interview was with two potential sales managers. The questions followed the STAR format, just like the phone interview. However, both managers were very personable and the interview became more of a natural conversation at times. The very next day I was told the Director of Sales wanted to speak with me over the phone. There were a couple more STAR format questions, but mainly she wanted to know why Grainger, why a sales career and different work experiences I had had. I was offered the job later that day.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you won? Why Grainger? Why sales? How would you go about keeping a customer who is part of the oil business in West Texas?   Answer Question

On Site Service Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

Internal candidate. Spoke with hiring manager and only had one interview. Asked several questions regarding work experience, but did not have to relate it to current job. Very professional process.

Global Export Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Niles, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Niles, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

I first had a telephone interview by the Talent Acquisition Group, where they asked some of the typical questions, like 'What has been one of your major accomplishments', or 'How would you describe yourself'. About a week later I heard from them, telling me that an interview was scheduled with the hiring manager and the director of the department. For that interview, only the hiring manager was present. The interview went well, easy, without any questions like the ones I had during the telephone interview. It was basically an interview where I had to introduce myself and tell about my background.

Interview Questions

• 'Why would you like to work for Grainger'. 'What salary are you looking for'   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger in June 2015.

Interview

Laid back and very comfortable they made me feel very at ease and when I started go off base a little tr interviewer politely got me back on track to stay to the module STAR if you are great at star interviews you will nail this one. I passed round 1 and my in person interview is in one week. So I'm still in the hiring process!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you could have done better at your job and what steps did you take to change it?/get better?   Answer Question