W.W. Grainger Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at W.W. Grainger in June 2015.

Interview

Laid back and very comfortable they made me feel very at ease and when I started go off base a little tr interviewer politely got me back on track to stay to the module STAR if you are great at star interviews you will nail this one. I passed round 1 and my in person interview is in one week. So I'm still in the hiring process!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you could have done better at your job and what steps did you take to change it?/get better?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

Phone call with questions about roles and interest in job, a request to perform an online assessment test and then with another phone interview. It proceeded with your current job, salary history for past years which was kind of hard to grasp because I knew where they were going with this and it seemed more about money then qualifications after realizing nothing was asked about past accomplishments ( maybe new generation?) Asked me about my current target achievement results. Some questions were confusing felt in a rush to answer, a disadvantage for Grainger in the long haul. Challenging to put everything you do in one perspective especially since it does not really showcase your true abilities. Told me they would call me back. They did not however I proceeded to follow up and gain an answer and out of good faith they responded per email. I thought the HR person knew the objective job pretty well and was very well verse in gaining as much information about the most important aspects of a candidate to fit that specific role and not necessarily about ones ability to do the job. Almost too military cop like. Could it be the money? You make too much? Too little? I don't know just another guessing game. Maybe i was not clear enough on my resume and answers. I was not disappointed not to move forward since I handle my business as always and move on, and glad the HR person knew what he wanted in a way at least it felt that way, discipline and straight to the point. No personality.

Interview Questions

• Explain the difference between a territory manager and a business development manager?   2 Answers

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Greensboro, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

Standard Interview process using the STAR (Situation, Task/ Action, Results) method they have posted on their website. Questions are drawn from your results of the personality test issued by HR. Preparation is a must. I utilized the sample questions from other reviews on glassdoor and prepared answers for them. It also helps to know about the company and their policies/initiatives going into the interview.

Interview Questions

• Did you ever sell something to someone that they did not have a need for?
      Tell me about a time you overcame a "no".
      What is one of your biggest failures?
      Describe yourself in three words.

Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online, the was contacted by recruiter to schedule phone interview. Recruiter asked STAR questions and then asked me to take an online personality test. Called the next day to set up face to face interview with territory sales manager. This interview was also in STAR format. Manager called me that day to set up a phone interview with his counterpart in a different region. After that interview, the recruiter called to set up another interview with the director of territory sales. Scheduled for that interview tomorrow.

Interview Questions

• What is an obstacle you have faced in your life and how did you overcome it?

Have you ever had to turn a "no" into a "yes"

Answer Question

Sustainability Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lake Forest, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

It was a contract role so I applied through the staffing agency. Then I had a phone interview with the two people I'd be working with. Next they had me answer some questions by looking at some spreadsheets to analyze. Lastly, I had a final interview with the same two people.

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied on-line and received a call with in 4 days. We set a time for our initial phone interview, which went very well. Later that day I received a call and we scheduled a second, more in depth phone interview. The whole process was very smooth and very professional. Everyone was exceedingly friendly. They use the S.T.A.R. interview process. You better have done a lot of research on the company, as I was asked several questions. The questions asked during the interview are average IF you know yourself and have interviewed before.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were successful handling a serious customer issue.   Answer Question

Interview

First I was contacted by a recruiter and we had an interview over the phone in the STAR format (situation/task action result). Her name was Katherine and she was friendly and very informative throughout my entire interview process after our own interview. She was easily accessible by email and she helped a lot with some helpful notes before I went into each round.

The next round was in front of three territory managers and it lasted about an hour and a half. They had some good questions and were very competent. Some questions are when was a time you turned a no into a yes? When is a time you had to handle a customer complaint and what did you do? One of the best questions was if you were presented with two doors at the same company, one is to the blue collar worker type and the other one was to a corporate type, which door do you go through first? Great question, youd want to go to the worker type first, converse with them and gain insights. They arent looking for a sales pitch and are usually happy to talk about their work in a laid back manner. Then use those insights for the corporate person (typically the purchasing decision maker) who is likely to want you to be well researched and prepared for the meeting with them. Grainger is looking for a self starter who has good time management skills and the ability to sell. The managers in this interview really knew what they were talking about and I felt that I really shined in this interview. Friendly guys who would be enjoyable to work for.

I was pushed onto the final round which was an interview with the manager of the managers on the phone. She called me twenty minutes late and 90% of her questions were asking me the questions they asked me in the previous interview and my answers. She wanted to keep this more "conversational". Her dog barked throughout parts of my interview and the few questions she asked that were original contained four or five questions in one; giving me no time to answer the first two questions she asked before tagging on three more questions. She gave no feedback before moving onto the next question. The interviewer usually will provide some form of feedback to your answers so you can either clarify or know that what you said got to the point they were looking for or didnt. Obviously, my experience isnt universal in the Grainger interview process and was more just the one person I talked to and her particular mood at the time. Essentially there was little substance in this interview and I felt that she rushed me off the phone without gaining insights into who I was. After interviewing with three managers in person for over an hour and a half, to then have the job offer be determined by a conversation on a phone for less than twenty minutes seems a bit strange and backwards. Overall, just know your STAR format and have some good experiences to talk about. Be friendly and really be about the outside sales. Dont let the "conversational" nature of the last phone interview throw you, bring your A game and make sure you conclude it the same way you would conclude a formal interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time you turned a no into a yes. Tell about a time you had to handle a complaint. What is your ideal job? What qualities do you have that would make you right for this job?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

Smooth, nothing out of the norm. IF you prepare you will do fine. Not hard, if they don't like you =, the interview process will end very quickly.

Director Commitment Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL) in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted out of the blue by a talent acquisition person for this position as the person saw me on linkedin and thought there was a direct correlation between the position and my resume. I knew that wasn't the case, but I went ahead with the phone interview anyway, as a means to talk about my experience, basically to get more practice.

Interview Questions

• She asked me specifically about how many people I managed and the function of the department I managed   Answer Question

Product Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Northbrook, IL).

Interview

A Human Resources Manager, Supply Manager and Operations Manager conducted the interview. The interviews were one-on-one, on time and professional. The discussions were scheduled on different days. Questions revolved on supply chain management and skills needed to manage parts information for product offered by the company. The process from recruitment to on-boarding was short and straight-forward.