W.W. Grainger Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015
Updated Mar 25, 2015

Territory Sales Representative Interview

First I was contacted by a recruiter and we had an interview over the phone in the STAR format (situation/task action result). Her name was Katherine and she was friendly and very informative throughout my entire interview process after our own interview. She was easily accessible by email and she helped a lot with some helpful notes before I went into each round.

The next round was in front of three territory managers and it lasted about an hour and a half. They had some good questions and were very competent. Some questions are when was a time you turned a no into a yes? When is a time you had to handle a customer complaint and what did you do? One of the best questions was if you were presented with two doors at the same company, one is to the blue collar worker type and the other one was to a corporate type, which door do you go through first? Great question, youd want to go to the worker type first, converse with them and gain insights. They arent looking for a sales pitch and are usually happy to talk about their work in a laid back manner. Then use those insights for the corporate person (typically the purchasing decision maker) who is likely to want you to be well researched and prepared for the meeting with them. Grainger is looking for a self starter who has good time management skills and the ability to sell. The managers in this interview really knew what they were talking about and I felt that I really shined in this interview. Friendly guys who would be enjoyable to work for.

I was pushed onto the final round which was an interview with the manager of the managers on the phone. She called me twenty minutes late and 90% of her questions were asking me the questions they asked me in the previous interview and my answers. She wanted to keep this more "conversational". Her dog barked throughout parts of my interview and the few questions she asked that were original contained four or five questions in one; giving me no time to answer the first two questions she asked before tagging on three more questions. She gave no feedback before moving onto the next question. The interviewer usually will provide some form of feedback to your answers so you can either clarify or know that what you said got to the point they were looking for or didnt. Obviously, my experience isnt universal in the Grainger interview process and was more just the one person I talked to and her particular mood at the time. Essentially there was little substance in this interview and I felt that she rushed me off the phone without gaining insights into who I was. After interviewing with three managers in person for over an hour and a half, to then have the job offer be determined by a conversation on a phone for less than twenty minutes seems a bit strange and backwards. Overall, just know your STAR format and have some good experiences to talk about. Be friendly and really be about the outside sales. Dont let the "conversational" nature of the last phone interview throw you, bring your A game and make sure you conclude it the same way you would conclude a formal interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time you turned a no into a yes. Tell about a time you had to handle a complaint. What is your ideal job? What qualities do you have that would make you right for this job?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

2 interviews. Took for ever to call me back.(1 month). I later got the job and worked there for some years. when interviewing for a sales job it was worse. Had 3 interviews and they were not willing to take a chance on my experience, bilingual skills and hard work because I was too serious in the interview!! Are you kidding me!! I wore a suit and tie had a presentation prepared and they were looking for someone outgoing.

Service Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in March 2015.

1st interview with recruiter was great. We laughed some, but over all, a typical phone interview. Great attitude! I was then contacted via email saying I would be having an in store interview with the Market Mgr but also, she was trying to get a Manager from another branch so they could give me a Panel Interview. I was contacted again, saying it would be with the Market Mgr only, and gave me all sorts of information. Everything from, learn about the company big-time. She gave me sales info, product info..I mean everything about the company you could think of. Told me the type of questions that would be asked in the interview. Behavioral STAR. Well, all weekend, I learned so much about the company, I felt liked I worked there already. I worked on the interview questions. The Recruiter, had me prepared for what I thought was everything! Monday, I get to the interview 1/2 hour early. I wait outside until about 7:50am and go in. The Market Mgr meets with me about 8:05am. She introduced herself and asked me in to her small office. Her first words then were, I usually interview in a meeting room and not typically in her office. She then says something that in a 30 year period of having interviews, I had never heard. "Have a seat. I want to try to get this done as quick as possible" I immediately felt pressured to hurry through the questions and answers. She never asked anything about me personally. Didn't ask any of the Behavioral STAR questions, like I was told to study. Her main question/s were about team building. She was pleasant, but I can honestly say, I have never had an interview with someone that had less of a personality. I left there confused. I wasn't asked anything about what I knew about the company or again, anything the recruiter told me to really study over the weekend. I don't blame the recruiter. I felt like she wanted me to get the job. Anyway, I call her up the next day and explain a little how the interview went in my opinion. Nothing like this. She said the manager told her she was going to hire someone else and that I didn't have enough supervisor experience. Mind you, I have over 20 years of experience with supervisor experience. I thanked her and wish her and the company my best. I just can't understand why I wasted my weekend to study all this company info and interview questions, again, to not be asked anything regarding any of it. It felt like the moment I walked in her office, that I had no chance. It's too bad, I really was excited to have a chance to work there. Seems like a great company!

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in March 2015.

I was contacted by a recruiter who then set up a time for a phone interview with me. She asked about 4 STAR format questions and went over the salary. After that, I was then brought in for a face to face interview with the hiring manager. It was very casual which I liked because I tend to get pretty nervous for interviews. All STAR format questions....I then went on to two more phone interviews one with Manager of Territory of Sales and the Director of Sales. I was offered the position but did not accept. After I did more research on Glassdoor, other reps were saying
    -They work 80+ hours a week
    -Goals are changed monthly which are often unreachable
    -Give you a hard time when want to use PTO
    -High turn over rate
    -Etc.
    The compensation was non negotiable and was not an acceptable rate for me.This would be a good position for someone right out of college. You get a phone, and a branded vehicle ( which I read they track every minute). I addressed the issues the other reps had with the hiring manager and he never got back to me. So for those of you who are reading this, we can assume that the issues are relevant and they plan on doing nothing about it

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

I was contacted for a phone screen and then asked to take an online behavioral test. The panel interview was then set up.

I interviewed for two hours. Two separate panels. One with only the hiring manager.

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

I applied online and was given an automatic response that they were moving forward with another candidate. I received a call a week later about the role and was told what I need to prepare for the interview.

The interview process is composed of 3 stages. The first stage is a call with the HR specialist from HQ offices who filters out candidates for the role by screening applicants based on experience, business acumen, and organizational fit.You will also take a chally exam to see if you qualify for the interview. If you pass than you advance to the second step. The second step is follow by a face to face interview with the hiring manager and another manager who can provide feedback to the hiring manager based on the interviewees responses and performance. The final step is a call with the hiring managers boss who asks questions regarding the role and wants to confirm the positive feedback given by the hiring manager.They use the STAR ( Situation, Task , Action, Result) process during the interviews so be ready to speak broadly about your past experience in terms of projects and their outcomes.

The experience was pleasant however, most of the hiring managers have a bench and I am not sure why they post to externals if they have a selected candidate in mind. Also, when I interview it was not very diverse at all. Which was a red flag for me since the market the role is was very diverse.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell us about a moment when a peer was going through a difficult situation whether at work or in his personal life and tell us what you did to help him/her and what the result was   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Very professional process, used as training for new managers. Several people in the room but only two asking questions, the rest just observing. Strong focus on personality and fitting into culture. relaxed atmosphere with obviously knowledgable managers

Interview Questions
    • Strongest weak point was only difficult question; mostly a review of resume and questions on past employers   Answer Question
    Interviewed in morning and felt good about interplay with 2 interviewers. Received an offer in email that afternoon, and accepted. I like that they didn't drag out the process like most companies.

Government Account Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

They use the STAR process. They ask about a scenario, a task, the action you took and the obtained result. I would suggest to put it in a story like mode where you tell the interviewer little chapters of your professional experience in a succinct fashion

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a time that you helped a colleague with a personal problem and what was the outcome   Answer Question

Territory Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in January 2015.

Phone call from recruiter for phone screen. 1 on 1 with potential manager. Phone call interview with Regional Manager. Process was kind of long. It took a few weeks to finally get the offer. Interview questions were all STAR format.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when......
      Tell me about a time where you worked in a group and a member wasn't doing their part.
      Tell me when you had to tell someone no.

Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Rushed to do interviewing so they can hire in a 3 week period go through 4 interviews and get no response until you have to follow up. They constantly were in contact and I was told that they loved my work ethic and overall skills and then send me an email telling me there were stronger candidates.

Interview Questions
    • They want you to answer questions in their wording.   View Answer