W.W. Grainger Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2015

Content Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Lake Forest, IL).

Interview

Had a phone interview prior to in person interview. Regular interview questions. Was interviewed by 3 employees from different teams. Lasted approximately an hour with all 3 in person interviews.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Describe your analytical experiences. What types of excel functions do you know how to use?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

First a phone interview with the corporate recruiter and an online personality test. Followed by a second phone interview with the recruiter. Next, an onsite interview with DM's. They use the STAR format which I was prepared for thanks to the knowledgable recruiter. However, when onsite they never asked any questions pertaining to my experience managing large, complex global accounts which really surprised me. Instead they asked about my "elevator pitch" which is something to ask a Territory Sales Rep who is in a cold calling role. I had an entire book of examples prepared to showcase specific solutions I have solved for clients and they never asked about it. They seemed to be more concerned about how I would fit into their culture. If you are from a business environment that encourages reps to really think outside the box and gives you the freedom to run your business without an overload of activity metrics I would not recommend interviewing here. Very PC and micromanaged culture and unless I'm wrong this culture seems to hurt their AM's more than it helps....but also a very good company with much to offer customers, IMO. Based on my experience, I'd say they are most likely prepping for a reorganization.

Interview Questions

• Several questions pertaining to my sales performance in previous roles.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

Basic questions, mainly about what I have done, and explained what the positions is, and what expectations are. Unexpected question was compensation, previous position had a higher base then they offer but I anticipated that, just was not ready for a specific question, but it was easy to answer.

Interview Questions

• How many accounts did I manager in the past?   1 Answer

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger in August 2015.

Interview

Step 1: Screening Interview on phone. They asked questions about my background etc. Step 2: Follow up screening call to schedule a face to face interview Step 3: Face to Face Interview...Two separate meetings with two people in each meeting. They asked both situational questions and general questions about what I was looking for in a job. Overall, the people were pleasant and respectful. However, I did have a somewhat uncomfortable exchange at one point. I was being interviewed by the hiring manager and one of his female sales reps. I asked the rep "what makes a Grainger sales rep successful in this role?". She paused and said, "Well first off, I call mostly on men so when you look like this (she motioned to her blonde hair, face and body), it certainly helps." Her boss chuckled as she laughed...she clearly thought very highly of herself. I found this very unprofessional. I lost interest after that and never followed up with the hiring manager after the meeting. I found out that they ended up hiring a female for the job (surprise surprise!).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you did not meet your quota attainment goals? What happened and why?   Answer Question

Global Export Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niles, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Niles, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

I first had a telephone interview by the Talent Acquisition Group, where they asked some of the typical questions, like 'What has been one of your major accomplishments', or 'How would you describe yourself'. About a week later I heard from them, telling me that an interview was scheduled with the hiring manager and the director of the department. For that interview, only the hiring manager was present. The interview went well, easy, without any questions like the ones I had during the telephone interview. It was basically an interview where I had to introduce myself and tell about my background.

Interview Questions

• 'Why would you like to work for Grainger'. 'What salary are you looking for'   Answer Question

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger in June 2015.

Interview

Laid back and very comfortable they made me feel very at ease and when I started go off base a little tr interviewer politely got me back on track to stay to the module STAR if you are great at star interviews you will nail this one. I passed round 1 and my in person interview is in one week. So I'm still in the hiring process!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you could have done better at your job and what steps did you take to change it?/get better?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

Phone call with questions about roles and interest in job, a request to perform an online assessment test and then with another phone interview. It proceeded with your current job, salary history for past years which was kind of hard to grasp because I knew where they were going with this and it seemed more about money then qualifications after realizing nothing was asked about past accomplishments ( maybe new generation?) Asked me about my current target achievement results. Some questions were confusing felt in a rush to answer, a disadvantage for Grainger in the long haul. Challenging to put everything you do in one perspective especially since it does not really showcase your true abilities. Told me they would call me back. They did not however I proceeded to follow up and gain an answer and out of good faith they responded per email. I thought the HR person knew the objective job pretty well and was very well verse in gaining as much information about the most important aspects of a candidate to fit that specific role and not necessarily about ones ability to do the job. Almost too military cop like. Could it be the money? You make too much? Too little? I don't know just another guessing game. Maybe i was not clear enough on my resume and answers. I was not disappointed not to move forward since I handle my business as always and move on, and glad the HR person knew what he wanted in a way at least it felt that way, discipline and straight to the point. No personality.

Interview Questions

• Explain the difference between a territory manager and a business development manager?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Greensboro, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

Standard Interview process using the STAR (Situation, Task/ Action, Results) method they have posted on their website. Questions are drawn from your results of the personality test issued by HR. Preparation is a must. I utilized the sample questions from other reviews on glassdoor and prepared answers for them. It also helps to know about the company and their policies/initiatives going into the interview.

Interview Questions

• Did you ever sell something to someone that they did not have a need for? Tell me about a time you overcame a "no". What is one of your biggest failures? Describe yourself in three words.   Answer Question

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online, the was contacted by recruiter to schedule phone interview. Recruiter asked STAR questions and then asked me to take an online personality test. Called the next day to set up face to face interview with territory sales manager. This interview was also in STAR format. Manager called me that day to set up a phone interview with his counterpart in a different region. After that interview, the recruiter called to set up another interview with the director of territory sales. Scheduled for that interview tomorrow.

Interview Questions

• What is an obstacle you have faced in your life and how did you overcome it? Have you ever had to turn a "no" into a "yes"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied on-line and received a call with in 4 days. We set a time for our initial phone interview, which went very well. Later that day I received a call and we scheduled a second, more in depth phone interview. The whole process was very smooth and very professional. Everyone was exceedingly friendly. They use the S.T.A.R. interview process. You better have done a lot of research on the company, as I was asked several questions. The questions asked during the interview are average IF you know yourself and have interviewed before.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were successful handling a serious customer issue.   Answer Question