W.W. Grainger

Updated Dec 10, 2014
Updated Dec 10, 2014

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in June 2009.

I started with a phone interview with a recruiter and everything went well. My next interview was with a District Sales Manager & Account Manager and everything went well. The next phase was a one on one interview with the same District Sales Manager and he spoke about how there was not a particular position available but he thought I would be a great fit for the position and he wanted to put me on their "Benchmark" program and basically thats when you wait for a position to open up which could be in 4-6 weeks or 4-6 months. In the meantime I was asked to meet with another District Sales Manager and it seems that the interview was going well until he asked if I knew anything about the company and I informed him that a friend used to work there and he didnt know the guy personally, but later I found out there was some association between my friend & a previous VP of Sales and so he assumed I was affiliated with the VP as well. After that meeting I was removed from the "Benchmark" program and was told that I am no longer in consideration for a position. Please make sure you play the game exactly the way they want you to because this is a company that do not base things off your qualifications but more so on who you know and how they can keep their good ole boy network sealed.

Government Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rice, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rice, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in May 2010.

I heard of this position from a current employee. The phone interview with HR was easy and I made it to the 2nd round which was a panel interview. Two hours and two groups of 3 panel interviewers. Study hard on situational questions like "Tell me about a time when a customer had a problem with your service or product. What was the situation, what did you say and what was the outcome?". You will have a lot of these questions from the interviewer, so, do some research.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time a customer had a problem with your product or service, what did you say, what was the outocme?   Answer Question
    • What are the job responsibilities you like the least at your current employer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in December 2012.

Recruiter, 1:1, 1:2, phone.

Interview Questions

Compensation isn't worth it.

Process Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southhaven, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southhaven, MS

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in August 2013.

I had two panel type interviews on different visits. Then, I was asked to spend a 1/2 day with the houlry crew on the floor and yet another meeting to share my experience. Finally, I was asked to come back again to meet another operations manager who spent a lot of time talking about his experience at Grainger. The panel interviewers were professional and made me feel at home. The questions had to a lot to so with contributions you made in the past and how you handled difficult hourly employees.

Interview Questions
    • What do you find different about managing people in this city?   View Answer

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, IA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in March 2011.

Applied on Company Website under Careers Link several times before being contacted, finally contacted by a recruiter months later, training class start date was set and you had to be able to attend 5 week, full-time training, had to put in a great effort to keep in touch with the recruiter to remind them of you

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer asked if they could give me feedback on my interview and proceeded to criticize me on everything I answered. It may have been a test for how one takes criticism.   Answer Question
    Negotiation occurred over the phone with a recruiter, not really a negotiation- they just told you the terms of employment, told you your pay and gave you a few choices of shifts to choose from

Territory Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in January 2013.

Posted my resume on Monster, received a call from Grainger within a few days. They asked me to take a test which I did, then did a phone interview and from that point interviewed with my potential future supervisor. Finally was passed on to the district sales manager for a final interview.

Interview Questions
    • Grainger does what is called a S.T.A.R.S based interview. Grainger does not attempt to hide this from the candidate, they tell what type of interview it is going to be and even advise you to research this type of interviewing process. S.T.A.R.S. interview is basically a situational type interview i.e. tell me a time you had to make a quick decision on the job, or tell me a time in your previous job you invented a new way do accomplish an objective.   Answer Question

Not enough money, the starting salary was around $28,000 per year, and with commission they said my first year salary would probably top out at around $40,000. That is just not enough money for me to live off of, however, the benefits Grainger offers are some of the best in the business.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in June 2010.

Pass prescreening phone interview (sometimes more than one). Formal interview consists of the usual questions as well as up to 30 from the STAR interviewing technique.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you made a mistake and had to make it right with a client or supervisor.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

First I was called by a recruiter. I was then able to set up a phone interview and had to answer a series of questions electronically. Once I passed, I was set up with a face-to-face interview with the hiring manager. That lasted about 45 minutes. It was very intimidating but the questions were fairly average.

Interview Questions
    Make sure you know all about the company! Do not go into it blind.

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL

I applied through college or university – interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

The hiring process was tiring and thorough. It included a phone interview, an on-campus interview and a 5 hour in-person interview. The in-person interview included four 45 minute 1-on-1 interviews. Although there were some very basic case questions, the majority of the time was spent answering specific questions about previous experiences, my career passions/aspirations and the job position.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was too unexpected. I think the most unexpected question was, "how do your passions align with this job position?" It caught me a bit off-guard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

The hiring process is very cumbersome. You start with a phone interview from a recruiter, followed by a phone interview with the hiring manager. If you pass the phone checks, then you go in for face to face interviews. I had two face to face interviews and then waited a week to hear back with an offer. The start date was over three weeks later. The entire process was 7 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was, "Why do you think you would be a good fit to the Grainger culture?"   View Answer
    The company accepted my salary and vacation request.