W.W. Grainger

Updated Dec 10, 2014

Government Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Received invite from Recruiter, phone interview went well. Then met with District Managers and Account Managers-thought they went very well.Watch out for this Company they conduct many EEOC interviews. Heard thru a mutual friend of one of the DSMs that mine was just that.. Thanks will never get that 4 hrs back..

Territory Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincolnshire, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincolnshire, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in July 2014.

Took a phone interview, pretty basic and straight forward. Then the in-person interview with HR manager and TSR manager. Didn't get offered the position because they were looking for one position.

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clearwater, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clearwater, FL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in July 2014.

Got a call from a recruiter (at least that's what I assume she was) to meet at a local Starbucks for an interview. A few days later, I was asked to take the online Challey test. Within a week or so, I went into the local branch for an in person interview with a two panel team. Another week went by and I was asked to interview in person again with different people Final outcome-- no job offer. I've got many years of outside sales experience specifically with the types of clients this position would be working with. The only thing that I can see as a downfall is that I'm not just out of college or under 25. When checking over current employees in this position, you can very clearly see that they are all very young. Do they want someone to mold or influence? Why such a obvious skew toward youth? Seems as though they took me pretty far into the interview process to not seriously consider me. Total time was 4 weeks from start to finish.

Interview Questions
    • No problems at all. In fact, they knew that I knew the STAR technique so well they didn't have me even try to sell them something.   Answer Question

Process Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Behavioral questions. Initial contact is by phone. Positions seemed to be filled prior to my interview with internal candidates. Seemed as though the interviewer was looking for reasons to discount my application. the recruiter did not seem knowledgeable about the position.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about various software packaged and process that would only be known by someone in the current position.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Applied online, contacted by recruiter. Scheduled phone interview. Recruiter was great until inquiring about current salary, after we had determined that the range for the position aligned on both parts. Recruiter demanded that salary history be told to her otherwise the interview process could not continue. This was within 10 minutes of having a first time conversation - not sure what relevancy current salary had, especially so early on. Recruiter was very demeaning and antagonistic, as well as conceited stating she had "so much experience and knows the way it works more than me". Even gave the line she was working on my behalf instead of the company, which is ridiculous because the company pays her salary. Overall the worst simple phone screen ever.

Interview Questions
    • Could not get away from wanting to know current pay.   View Answer

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Multiple interview process begins with telephone call from HR in Chicago. After passing that one, then there was an interview with the District Sales Manager and boss. The 3rd interview was at the local branch with the District Ops Mgr and the District Sales Mgr. After passing those interviews, I received the offer letter via mail and accepted.

Interview Questions
    • There were not really any difficult or unexpected questions asked during the interviews. Obviously, learn all you can about Grainger and demonstrate that knowledge during the interviews.   Answer Question
    There were no negotiations after the acceptance, the salary negotiations really happened during the phone interviews where the HR person was probing for salary comfort level.

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

A test, followed by a phone interview, followed by a face to face, followed by two more phone calls. It was pretty easy and they let you know if you are moving on or not. I talked to my current manager and then to her two bosses, as well as another manager of her ranking in another territory.

Market Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Need to make it past the screening of online applications. Best way to get past that is to be a referral from someone. Next will be a phone screen interview. Then there will be a minimum of 2-3 in-person interviews. If you are applying for a management or sales position, then you will also need to take some placement tests and personality tests.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in May 2014.

The young lady Lucretia who interviewed me was awesome.Very professional and open. The process was simple I was hired through an agency...the agency isn't great but Lucretia and the W.W. Grainger staff were great

TSR Interview

I applied online – interviewed at W.W. Grainger in May 2014.

Brief phone interview followed by an onsite interview with hiring manager and current tsr. Also had to take a personality test after Phone interview. The whole or cess took roughly two weeks but was not offered.

Interview Questions
    • Asked typical star questions to relate to your experiences in the past. The current trs was also included in the interview and asked questions of his own   Answer Question