W.W. Grainger Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2015

Process Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

Behavioral questions. Initial contact is by phone. Positions seemed to be filled prior to my interview with internal candidates. Seemed as though the interviewer was looking for reasons to discount my application. the recruiter did not seem knowledgeable about the position.

Interview Questions

• Questions about various software packaged and process that would only be known by someone in the current position.   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Applied online, contacted by recruiter. Scheduled phone interview. Recruiter was great until inquiring about current salary, after we had determined that the range for the position aligned on both parts. Recruiter demanded that salary history be told to her otherwise the interview process could not continue. This was within 10 minutes of having a first time conversation - not sure what relevancy current salary had, especially so early on. Recruiter was very demeaning and antagonistic, as well as conceited stating she had "so much experience and knows the way it works more than me". Even gave the line she was working on my behalf instead of the company, which is ridiculous because the company pays her salary. Overall the worst simple phone screen ever.

Interview Questions

• Could not get away from wanting to know current pay.   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

Multiple interview process begins with telephone call from HR in Chicago. After passing that one, then there was an interview with the District Sales Manager and boss. The 3rd interview was at the local branch with the District Ops Mgr and the District Sales Mgr. After passing those interviews, I received the offer letter via mail and accepted.

Interview Questions

• There were not really any difficult or unexpected questions asked during the interviews. Obviously, learn all you can about Grainger and demonstrate that knowledge during the interviews.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There were no negotiations after the acceptance, the salary negotiations really happened during the phone interviews where the HR person was probing for salary comfort level.

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Buffalo, NY).

Interview

A test, followed by a phone interview, followed by a face to face, followed by two more phone calls. It was pretty easy and they let you know if you are moving on or not. I talked to my current manager and then to her two bosses, as well as another manager of her ranking in another territory.

Interview Questions

• Nothing new, standard sales questions   1 Answer

Market Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

Need to make it past the screening of online applications. Best way to get past that is to be a referral from someone. Next will be a phone screen interview. Then there will be a minimum of 2-3 in-person interviews. If you are applying for a management or sales position, then you will also need to take some placement tests and personality tests.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in May 2014.

Interview

The young lady Lucretia who interviewed me was awesome.Very professional and open. The process was simple I was hired through an agency...the agency isn't great but Lucretia and the W.W. Grainger staff were great

TSR Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at W.W. Grainger in May 2014.

Interview

Brief phone interview followed by an onsite interview with hiring manager and current tsr. Also had to take a personality test after Phone interview. The whole or cess took roughly two weeks but was not offered.

Interview Questions

• Asked typical star questions to relate to your experiences in the past. The current trs was also included in the interview and asked questions of his own   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview

I got this job through a temp agency. It was for a data entry position and I did not have to interview directly with Grainger. The temp agency did all of the leg work for the company.

Interview Questions

• There was nothing difficult about the situation. I guess it was unexpected that the company did not want to meet with me in person before hiring me, but I was excited they loved my resume enough to give me a chance sight unseen.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was none. The temp agency did all of the work. I filled out an online application, then had a phone interview with the temp agency.

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in April 2014.

Interview

I filled out an application online and received a call from a recruiter approximately a week later. Recruiter scheduled phone interview and sent me a link to take an online personality assessment before the phone interview the next day. The recruiter called me the next day to say that she had to go to a meeting and would need to reschedule the phone interview for the following day. Had phone interview, STAR method, behavioral type questions. Phone interview seemed to go well and I thought we had a nice rapport. Recruiter told me she would pass my information along to the hiring managers and I would be contacted if they wanted to interview me face to face. I received an email about 4 days later stating they had gone with other candidates.

Sales Manager Interview

Interview

Pre-Screening, Assesment Test, Formal interivew, Final interview