W.W. Grainger

Average Difficulty
164 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at W.W. Grainger

Interview Details – Called by recruiter. Then had phone interview. Then went on to the main office and interviewed between two managers.

Interview Question – All the questions were the normal ones as in any interview   Answer Question

Interviewed at W.W. Grainger

Interview Details – First interview: On campus, 45 minutes. Few behavioral questions, nothing technical
Second Interview: Final Round, 4 Interviews (2 on 1), behavioral "tell me about a time", nothing too technical, few situational questions nothing tough.

Interview Question – What are some important metrics important for forecasting warehouse inventory?   Answer Question

Distribution Center Associate Interview

Distribution Center Associate
Minooka, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in September 2013.

Interview Details – Multiple step interview and hiring process. Applied online and was contacted through email to set up time to come in and take two short tests/evaluations. After evals, few days later scheduled 1:1 interview with manager. Few days later was contacted via phone and offered job. Tests/Evaluations consisted of identifying errors with matching names and transposing numbers/letter combinations.

Interview Question – Typical interview questions. Most difficult part of the process was trying to get a member of HR to reply back to emails asking what day/time I needed to show up since I was told I would receive information via email but didn't until one business day before.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Base starting pay of 15.39 an hour.

Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through college or university - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in October 2013.

Interview Details – All behavioral questions, 2 consecutive half-hour long on campus interviews with two different interviewers, talk through the the experiences in resume, nothing too unexpected

Interview Question – He repeated a similar behavioral question as what he already asked, and I did not have prepared another example for that, since I kind of answered that question from the previous answer.   Answer Question

Lake Forest, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview Details – 1st round: College Campus Interview, two half hour behavioral interviews. 2nd round: On-Site Interview, four 45 minute interviews back to back with 15 min break after the second interview. All interviews were behavioral.

Interview Question – Explain a situation in work or school where you have taken a risk and how did you handle it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I have not accepted yet, but I am in the process of making a decision.

Territory Sales Representative

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in June 2011.

Interview Details – Had a total of 4 interviews, two phone and two face to face meetings.

Interview Question – Had to try and sell a box of altoids.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Process Manager Interview

Process Manager
Southhaven, MS

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in August 2013.

Interview Details – I had two panel type interviews on different visits. Then, I was asked to spend a 1/2 day with the houlry crew on the floor and yet another meeting to share my experience. Finally, I was asked to come back again to meet another operations manager who spent a lot of time talking about his experience at Grainger. The panel interviewers were professional and made me feel at home. The questions had to a lot to so with contributions you made in the past and how you handled difficult hourly employees.

Interview Question – What do you find different about managing people in this city?   View Answer

Supply Chain Intern Interview

Supply Chain Intern
Lake Forest, IL

Interviewed at W.W. Grainger

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview, followed by a complete day on-site. I participated in four different interviews, with employees from different Supply Chain departments. The questions were mostly behavioral, but included an interactive, case-based question. Although I didn't take the offer, I enjoyed the process and would recommend candidates to jump at an opportunity to interview with the firm.

Interview Question – Pick a company and, at a high level, map their supply chain.   Answer Question

Territory Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in January 2013.

Interview Details – Posted my resume on Monster, received a call from Grainger within a few days. They asked me to take a test which I did, then did a phone interview and from that point interviewed with my potential future supervisor. Finally was passed on to the district sales manager for a final interview.

Interview Question – Grainger does what is called a S.T.A.R.S based interview. Grainger does not attempt to hide this from the candidate, they tell what type of interview it is going to be and even advise you to research this type of interviewing process. S.T.A.R.S. interview is basically a situational type interview i.e. tell me a time you had to make a quick decision on the job, or tell me a time in your previous job you invented a new way do accomplish an objective.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not enough money, the starting salary was around $28,000 per year, and with commission they said my first year salary would probably top out at around $40,000. That is just not enough money for me to live off of, however, the benefits Grainger offers are some of the best in the business.

Senior Manager Supply Chain Interview

Senior Manager Supply Chain

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview Details – Very quick reply to posting and quick phone screen. Very involved screening process with several interviews with senior leadership. Offer was made after 3rd interview which included one face to face meeting with 2 leaders. Offer came via UPS.
The company is very diverse and has several layers, there are dotted lines and you may interview with someone from a department you are not being hired for.

Interview Question – What is your management style   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Recruiter negotiated salary, they are a 3rd party service provider not the HR department. They were flexible and made concesions.