W.W. Grainger

W.W. Grainger Interview Questions

Updated Dec 10, 2014
Updated Dec 10, 2014

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in February 2014.

I applied on the Indiana University Kelley School of Business Job Board, Kelly Connect. I was selected for an on-campus 30 minute interview. The interview was very loosely structured; it felt more like a conversation than an interview. I was given a 3 minute interval to tell him everything Grainger should know about me and we proceeded from there. We covered a few behavioral questions: How have you dealt with a difficult colleague?, How have you handled negative feedback? After about 15 minutes, we switched to a more technical interview discussing product management, lead times, capacity and sourcing requirements.

Interview Questions
    • If a company comes to us and wants Product X once a week for a year, what questions would you ask the customer and management to decide whether this product should be purchased once per week or all 52 at once?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at W.W. Grainger in February 2014.

Interview consisted of hiring manager and two people that were currently in the position. Interview was not out of the ordinary... "name a time when you had a negative encounter with a client, how you handled it" blah, blah, blah. Hiring manager was nasty and argumentative. Realized I didn't want the job on the spot, she was the one that I'd have to report to.

Interview Questions
    • I am going to ask you one more question and you HAVE to answer it, "Why should I not hire you?"   View Answer

Sales/Customer Representative E-Procurement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Janesville, WI

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in February 2014.

I had two phone interviews of behavioral based questions. Ex: How did you handle a difficult customer in the past? Tell one time you went above and beyond for a customer?

Then I had a face-to-face interview, which was basically just explaining the position to me. They did ask me a few questions, but they were mostly repeat questions from the phone interview.

They asked me if I had any questions and they answered my questions.

Interview Questions
    • What the most difficult thing I have had to over come to get to this point in your life?   View Answer
    There was only $2 difference between the maximum and minimum amount they would offer. So there was very little negotiation possible.

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Janesville, WI

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in February 2014.

2 interviews on phone, 1 face to face

Interview Questions
    • what are you most proud of on your resume?   View Answer
    I didn't try to neogiate

Senior Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Recruiter called Then had phone interview followed by group interview

Sales Representative Interview

Recruiter call and did phone interview, then met the sales manager and a phone interview with their boss. Easy process and fast moving

Commercial Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wichita, KS

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Very lengthy. 4 phone interviews before finally getting face to face. All questions were very situational.

Not much negotiation.

Government Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

The interview process is composed of 3 stages. The first stage is a call with the HR specialist from HQ offices who filters out candidates for the role by screening applicants based on experience, business acumen, and organizational fit. The second step is follow by a face to face interview with the hiring manager and another manager who can provide feedback to the hiring manager based on the interviewees responses and performance. The final step is a call with the hiring managers boss who asks questions regarding the role and wants to confirm the positive feedback given by the hiring manager. If you make it past the second interview process its a done deal practically. They use the STAR ( Situation, Task , Action, Result) process during the interviews so be ready to speak broadly about your past experience in terms of projects and their outcomes. I had a good experience interviewing with Grainier and got the Job. I found the industry exiting and the work rewarding. One year later I am still pleased. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • Please tell us about a moment when a peer was going through a difficult situation whether at work or in his personal life and tell us what you did to help him/her and what the result was   Answer Question
    Very fair and reasonable. They offered me a good package from the start

Account Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in January 2014.

Grainger recruiter contacted me about account mgr position. Waited 2 weeks after initial contact with recruiter. Poor follow up on the part of their recruiter. Waste of my time.

Possible Opportunities Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in December 2013.

I got two emails from two different W.W. Grainger recruiters. The first one I got an interview and we walked through my Resume and she ask me the normal questions that usually the recruiters do during the interview. The second one she make me the interview through e-mail, which I think is awkward way to the things.