W.W. Grainger

Relevance Date Difficulty

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Supply Chain Analyst
Lake Forest, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview Details – 1st round: College Campus Interview, two half hour behavioral interviews. 2nd round: On-Site Interview, four 45 minute interviews back to back with 15 min break after the second interview. All interviews were behavioral.

Interview Question – Explain a situation in work or school where you have taken a risk and how did you handle it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I have not accepted yet, but I am in the process of making a decision.

Territory Sales Representative

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in June 2011.

Interview Details – Had a total of 4 interviews, two phone and two face to face meetings.

Interview Question – Had to try and sell a box of altoids.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Process Manager Interview

Process Manager
Southhaven, MS

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in August 2013.

Interview Details – I had two panel type interviews on different visits. Then, I was asked to spend a 1/2 day with the houlry crew on the floor and yet another meeting to share my experience. Finally, I was asked to come back again to meet another operations manager who spent a lot of time talking about his experience at Grainger. The panel interviewers were professional and made me feel at home. The questions had to a lot to so with contributions you made in the past and how you handled difficult hourly employees.

Interview Question – What do you find different about managing people in this city?   View Answer

Supply Chain Intern Interview

Supply Chain Intern

Interviewed at W.W. Grainger

Interview Details – I had an initial phone interview, followed by a complete day on-site. I participated in four different interviews, with employees from different Supply Chain departments. The questions were mostly behavioral, but included an interactive, case-based question. Although I didn't take the offer, I enjoyed the process and would recommend candidates to jump at an opportunity to interview with the firm.

Interview Question – Pick a company and, at a high level, map their supply chain.   Answer Question

Territory Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in January 2013.

Interview Details – Posted my resume on Monster, received a call from Grainger within a few days. They asked me to take a test which I did, then did a phone interview and from that point interviewed with my potential future supervisor. Finally was passed on to the district sales manager for a final interview.

Interview Question – Grainger does what is called a S.T.A.R.S based interview. Grainger does not attempt to hide this from the candidate, they tell what type of interview it is going to be and even advise you to research this type of interviewing process. S.T.A.R.S. interview is basically a situational type interview i.e. tell me a time you had to make a quick decision on the job, or tell me a time in your previous job you invented a new way do accomplish an objective.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not enough money, the starting salary was around $28,000 per year, and with commission they said my first year salary would probably top out at around $40,000. That is just not enough money for me to live off of, however, the benefits Grainger offers are some of the best in the business.

Senior Manager Supply Chain Interview

Senior Manager Supply Chain

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview Details – Very quick reply to posting and quick phone screen. Very involved screening process with several interviews with senior leadership. Offer was made after 3rd interview which included one face to face meeting with 2 leaders. Offer came via UPS.
The company is very diverse and has several layers, there are dotted lines and you may interview with someone from a department you are not being hired for.

Interview Question – What is your management style   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Recruiter negotiated salary, they are a 3rd party service provider not the HR department. They were flexible and made concesions.

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager
Saint Paul, MN

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in October 2010.

Interview Details – Long process that includes several interviews with District Sales Manager

Negotiation Details – Fair

Branch Manager Interview

Branch Manager
Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in July 2013.

Interview Details – Phone screen. interview with a branch manager, panel interview with two market managers and another branch manager.

Interview Question – All behavior based. Tell me about a time...STAR based questions.   View Answer

New Castle, DE

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and within a few days was asked to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was not too hard, just a few questions seemed a little odd. The interviewer was very friendly and made me feel comfortable. After the phone interview, I was sent a link for a Chally personality test. After the test, I was not asked to continue in the process.

Interview Question – When was a time where something got in the way but you continued anyway   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Accountant
Lake Forest, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in May 2013.

Interview Details – Process was very quick and easy. I applied online and got a call a week later by HR rep to discuss my background. Next they scheduled an in person interview with 4 managers 45 min each. It was more of a casual talk with some behavioral questions. One day after the interview I received a call with an offer. Overall, everyone at Grainger were super nice and professional.

Interview Question – Standard questions:
Tell me your strengths and weaknesses.
Tell me about a time when you didn't get along with a coworker and how did you handle it.
Give me an example of when you were involved in a project and how did you contribute...
That type of questions.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiations needed. The salary was sufficient and they included signup bonus as an incentive.

Interviews for Top Jobs at W.W. Grainger