W.W. Grainger

Updated Oct 31, 2014

31 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Supply Chain Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL

interviewed at W.W. Grainger in October 2014.

I got my first round interview through a career fair at my school. I was invited back to their headquarters where I was put through 4, 45 minute interviews and a case study in a row. The interviews were very conversational and not to dificult

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions... What would you do..? name a time...?   Answer Question

Global Supply Chain Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL

I applied through college or university – interviewed at W.W. Grainger in October 2014.

First step was on campus meet up at a coffee house by campus. next was an on campus interview. i heard back a week later and they flew me to chicago to to final round interviews. 2 nights. first night, tour of the offices and then networking with full time employees in the supply chain area. shuttled to hotel. picked up next morning with my things and taken back to headquarters. there were two sessions, morning and afternoon. i got the morning session. 4 interviews. you stay in one room. they give you water and a few snacks. And managers from 4 different departments come and interview you. all completely different interview styles. then at the end the HR rep comes in and gives you a case study question. Want to see if you can think fast and rationally. then they gave both sessions lunch.

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

The interview process was very organized. HR provided materials for review about the company and values. An interview list was also provided that contained the names and titles of the interviewers. Everyone was on-time. One of the interviewers was a manager in HR, who interviewed for "fit" in the company culture. After the interview, the process moved very quickly. There was no second interview and the offer was made quickly. The head of the department made himself available for any follow-up questions. A very positive experience overall.

Interview Questions
    • Imagine Grainger would like to move to a from a marketing channel-specific optimization model to a customer-centric world. What is your approach to make this happen that would best maximize revenue?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate. The HR person was very responsive and handled the process very well.

Corporate Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL

Phone Interview, Face to Face with 2 people & then another of the same on the same day.

Interview Questions
    • What did your most recent manager give you in a performance review as negative performance? What was it? What did you do?   Answer Question

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger.

1st round: College Campus Interview, two half hour behavioral interviews. 2nd round: On-Site Interview, four 45 minute interviews back to back with 15 min break after the second interview. All interviews were behavioral.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation in work or school where you have taken a risk and how did you handle it?   View Answer
    I have not accepted yet, but I am in the process of making a decision.

Federal Government Sales Manager - National Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in October 2013.

Panel interview with behavioral questions regarding the competencies / skills they were looking for regarding the position. The position was for ARMY and some other federal locations

Interview Questions
    • They were apparently looking for a detailed business plan and someone with national footprint experience. Most unexpected is what is negative coaching i have received from a manager? when i answered, they continued to push on what it was, When I tried to turn it to how i took the coaching and act on it, i could not get them to let me turn it around.   Answer Question

Supply Chain Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in October 2013.

The screening process started from the school's career website followed by an initial on- campus interview which was pretty straight forward. There were only questions about the resume more or less. Second interview was an on-site one consisting of 4 forty five minute interview back to back with higher level management. Again, very general questions and nothing specific to supply chain. They asked a lot about previous work experience or internships.

Interview Questions
    • All of the interviews questions were behavioral and situational. Nothing technical as I said. Only on supply Chain question - 'If you were to go in a DC, what are the first five things you would observe and why ?'   View Answer
    Did not negotiate at all.

Supply Chain Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL

I had an initial phone interview, followed by a complete day on-site. I participated in four different interviews, with employees from different Supply Chain departments. The questions were mostly behavioral, but included an interactive, case-based question. Although I didn't take the offer, I enjoyed the process and would recommend candidates to jump at an opportunity to interview with the firm.

Interview Questions
    • Pick a company and, at a high level, map their supply chain.   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in May 2013.

Process was very quick and easy. I applied online and got a call a week later by HR rep to discuss my background. Next they scheduled an in person interview with 4 managers 45 min each. It was more of a casual talk with some behavioral questions. One day after the interview I received a call with an offer. Overall, everyone at Grainger were super nice and professional.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions:
      Tell me your strengths and weaknesses.
      Tell me about a time when you didn't get along with a coworker and how did you handle it.
      Give me an example of when you were involved in a project and how did you contribute...
      That type of questions.

Answer Question
    There was no negotiations needed. The salary was sufficient and they included signup bonus as an incentive.

Web Content Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Forest, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in April 2013.

Applied online was contacted via phone by HR a few days later. HR hinted that I might be overqualified by stating the manager might think you will be "bored" with this job. I've been unemployed for over 3 years now, so I assured him that I would not be bored.

2 weeks go by, I have already forgotten all about this job and out of nowhere the HR guy emails me and says that the hiring manager wants to meet me and that the admin will set up for an in person interview. I thought that was odd because one: I assumed I was overqualified and two: how did I go from an HR screening to an in person interview, shouldn't there have been a phone interview in between?

A week later, I have the in person interview: met with web designer, then hiring manager, then senior manager, each 30 min. a piece. The interview went very well with all of them. The interview was more of a conversation than an interrogation which I appreciate. Lots of behavioral questions. The web designer had several technical questions but again they were more about my experience and not those annoying "quiz-like" type of questions.

I left there feeling very good about the interview, I got the impression that I really impressed them. A week later I was told by HR that I interviewed really well but they felt that this position was not right for me. I concluded that the original assumption was correct that I was overqualified for this job. I'm a former .Net developer and this position was more of a content management design position, but I've been unemployed for several years now so to get rejected from this job was a devastating blow.

Interview Questions
    • If you had to choose between Quality vs. Quantity, what would you choose?   Answer Question
    • How would you start designing a project, what would you do first?   Answer Question
    • Name a time where a project you were on didn't go well   Answer Question
    • What are some content management systems you have used?   Answer Question
    • What are some useful features you see with HTML5 and CSS3? Can you write HTML completely by hand?   Answer Question