W.W. Grainger

Getting the Interview

22 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Denver, CO

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in July 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview, followed by an online assessment then an in person interview

Interview Question – Asking about your sales style   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Interviewed at W.W. Grainger

Interview Details – Called by recruiter. Then had phone interview. Then went on to the main office and interviewed between two managers.

Interview Question – All the questions were the normal ones as in any interview   Answer Question

Territory Sales Representative

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in June 2011.

Interview Details – Had a total of 4 interviews, two phone and two face to face meetings.

Interview Question – Had to try and sell a box of altoids.   Answer Question

Territory Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in January 2013.

Interview Details – Posted my resume on Monster, received a call from Grainger within a few days. They asked me to take a test which I did, then did a phone interview and from that point interviewed with my potential future supervisor. Finally was passed on to the district sales manager for a final interview.

Interview Question – Grainger does what is called a S.T.A.R.S based interview. Grainger does not attempt to hide this from the candidate, they tell what type of interview it is going to be and even advise you to research this type of interviewing process. S.T.A.R.S. interview is basically a situational type interview i.e. tell me a time you had to make a quick decision on the job, or tell me a time in your previous job you invented a new way do accomplish an objective.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not enough money, the starting salary was around $28,000 per year, and with commission they said my first year salary would probably top out at around $40,000. That is just not enough money for me to live off of, however, the benefits Grainger offers are some of the best in the business.

New Castle, DE

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and within a few days was asked to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was not too hard, just a few questions seemed a little odd. The interviewer was very friendly and made me feel comfortable. After the phone interview, I was sent a link for a Chally personality test. After the test, I was not asked to continue in the process.

Interview Question – When was a time where something got in the way but you continued anyway   Answer Question

Bristol, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview Details – The process was very organized and thorough. First was a phone interview screening from their HR, where you answered basic interview questions. If you happen to pass, a Challey assessment was sent to you and should you pass that a second interview will follow where you meet with a manager most likely the person who will be your boss. Third is a a phone interview by someone who ranks above the manager you met, in my case it was the district sales manager for the northeast. They will contact you soon after if you are offered a job.

Interview Question – Tell me of an instance where you used your knowledge to alter the market concepts in your industry.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, I was happy with my offer.

Territory Sales Representative

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview Details – I first came in contact with Grainger while at a job fair. I became interested in the company and position because the representative they sent out had such great energy and enthusiasm. Since I wasn't graduating until this year, I only recently started the interviewing process.

I had a phone interview with a recruiter which went really well. Since I had a good interview, they invited me to complete their Chally assessment so they could decide if I would be going to a face to face interview. I've taken the Chally assessment before so I knew what to expect and they were very pleased with my results. I was told that I would be reached shortly once they determined the final day and location for the interview.

In the meantime they wanted me to fill out an official application online since I hadn't already done so. This is where problems started... They knew where I was from and I can imagine that the recruiter was fully aware of the restrictions on distance for jobs (you have to live within so many miles). She told me about two openings both of which were too far and not in the area we discussed. Luckily an opening for an area I could work in did open up shortly after, so I applied and notified my recruiter.

About a week after that, my recruiter emailed me to let me know that she should be receiving the final schedule for the interview that day and that she would give me a call. About two hours after that, I got an automated email from Grainger in regards to the position I applied to saying that they would be moving forward with other candidates. I emailed my recruiter to let her know what happened and I haven't heard back.

I think it's very interesting that I could pass a first interview, an assessment and be in the process for a second interview, and then get rejected through an online application.

Interview Question – The questions are mostly behavioral and sales related.   Answer Question

Macon, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in March 2013.

Interview Details – I received a phone call about 4 days after applying online to schedule a telephone interview the next day. She clarified some details about the position. 20% inside/80% outside with a base salary of $31,000. Expected commission for first year would be approximately $16,000. Company branded car with gas allowance. First three months training at distribution center.

Interview Question – Typical sales related questions like "Tell me about a big success that you have had in your sales career." "Tell me about a failure and what you could have done differently." I am an older worker who was recently laid off during a massive company reorganization. The last question was what year did you receive your bacheolor's degree? Then I was told that all my answers would be forwarded to hiring managers and that if I was chosen to move forward, that I would hear back within two days. Needless to say, I have never heard back. I expect that they are looking for younger sales representatives.   Answer Question

Lake Forest, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in May 2011.

Interview Details – Was referred by employee, submitted application online - got phone call to talk about position, set up phone interview which led to 1:1 interview. If 1:1 interview went smoothly and eventually ended up talking to 4 different people, 2-3 in the room at 1 time. One of them will be your manager.

Interview Question – The end of the interview:
Please sell me this item (random object in the room - pencil etc...)
  View Answer

Territory Sales Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

Interview Details – contacted by recruiter, initial phone screen, 1st phone interview, 2nd interview with hiring manager, 3rd phone interview with territory details and job offer

Interview Question – "Please try selling this iphone to me" - they want to see your selling skills when put on the spot   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation - maybe a little over your territory if its a new team they're hiring but zip codes are set

Interviews for Top Jobs at W.W. Grainger

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at W.W. Grainger Territory Sales Representative interview questions and advice. All 22 interview reviews posted anonymously by W.W. Grainger employees and interview candidates.