W.W. Grainger Territory Sales Representative Interview Questions & Reviews

26 interviews

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Clearwater, FL
Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in July 2014.

Got a call from a recruiter (at least that's what I assume she was) to meet at a local Starbucks for an interview. A few days later, I was asked to take the online Challey test. Within a week or so, I went into the local branch for an in person interview with a two panel team. Another week went by and I was asked to interview in person again with different people Final outcome-- no job offer. I've got many years of outside sales experience specifically with the types of clients this position would be working with. The only thing that I can see as a downfall is that I'm not just out of college or under 25. When checking over current employees in this position, you can very clearly see that they are all very young. Do they want someone to mold or influence? Why such a obvious skew toward youth? Seems as though they took me pretty far into the interview process to not seriously consider me. Total time was 4 weeks from start to finish.

Interview Questions
  • No problems at all. In fact, they knew that I knew the STAR technique so well they didn't have me even try to sell them something.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for W.W. Grainger

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in July 2013.

You get contacted by the recruiter
    Then they set up a in person interview
    I had a board of 3 people, it was 2 Territory managers from other states, and then my manager
    Then the offer

The whole process was quite lengthy, I applied in June, interviewed in July, hired in August, started in October

Interview Questions
    • Pretty general questions, they ask you specific questions and how you answer them to see if they fit in their acronym for the way they do business.   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate for a later start date because I was going on a long planned vacation with the family. They accommodated my request and pushed me to a later start date. From there I knew they were a great company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

A test, followed by a phone interview, followed by a face to face, followed by two more phone calls. It was pretty easy and they let you know if you are moving on or not. I talked to my current manager and then to her two bosses, as well as another manager of her ranking in another territory.

Territory Sales Representative Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in April 2014.

I filled out an application online and received a call from a recruiter approximately a week later. Recruiter scheduled phone interview and sent me a link to take an online personality assessment before the phone interview the next day. The recruiter called me the next day to say that she had to go to a meeting and would need to reschedule the phone interview for the following day. Had phone interview, STAR method, behavioral type questions. Phone interview seemed to go well and I thought we had a nice rapport. Recruiter told me she would pass my information along to the hiring managers and I would be contacted if they wanted to interview me face to face. I received an email about 4 days later stating they had gone with other candidates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in July 2013.

Phone interview, followed by an online assessment then an in person interview

No negotiations

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Called by recruiter. Then had phone interview. Then went on to the main office and interviewed between two managers.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were the normal ones as in any interview   Answer Question

Territory Sales Representative Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in June 2011.

Had a total of 4 interviews, two phone and two face to face meetings.

Territory Sales Representative Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in January 2013.

Posted my resume on Monster, received a call from Grainger within a few days. They asked me to take a test which I did, then did a phone interview and from that point interviewed with my potential future supervisor. Finally was passed on to the district sales manager for a final interview.

Interview Questions
    • Grainger does what is called a S.T.A.R.S based interview. Grainger does not attempt to hide this from the candidate, they tell what type of interview it is going to be and even advise you to research this type of interviewing process. S.T.A.R.S. interview is basically a situational type interview i.e. tell me a time you had to make a quick decision on the job, or tell me a time in your previous job you invented a new way do accomplish an objective.   Answer Question

Not enough money, the starting salary was around $28,000 per year, and with commission they said my first year salary would probably top out at around $40,000. That is just not enough money for me to live off of, however, the benefits Grainger offers are some of the best in the business.

Anonymous Employee  in  New Castle, DE
    Anonymous Employee in New Castle, DE

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at W.W. Grainger in July 2013.

Applied online and within a few days was asked to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was not too hard, just a few questions seemed a little odd. The interviewer was very friendly and made me feel comfortable. After the phone interview, I was sent a link for a Chally personality test. After the test, I was not asked to continue in the process.

Interview Questions
    • When was a time where something got in the way but you continued anyway   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bristol, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bristol, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at W.W. Grainger.

The process was very organized and thorough. First was a phone interview screening from their HR, where you answered basic interview questions. If you happen to pass, a Challey assessment was sent to you and should you pass that a second interview will follow where you meet with a manager most likely the person who will be your boss. Third is a a phone interview by someone who ranks above the manager you met, in my case it was the district sales manager for the northeast. They will contact you soon after if you are offered a job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of an instance where you used your knowledge to alter the market concepts in your industry.   Answer Question
    No negotiations, I was happy with my offer.

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!