W.W. Grainger Territory Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Interview

First I was contacted by a recruiter and we had an interview over the phone in the STAR format (situation/task action result). Her name was Katherine and she was friendly and very informative throughout my entire interview process after our own interview. She was easily accessible by email and she helped a lot with some helpful notes before I went into each round.

The next round was in front of three territory managers and it lasted about an hour and a half. They had some good questions and were very competent. Some questions are when was a time you turned a no into a yes? When is a time you had to handle a customer complaint and what did you do? One of the best questions was if you were presented with two doors at the same company, one is to the blue collar worker type and the other one was to a corporate type, which door do you go through first? Great question, youd want to go to the worker type first, converse with them and gain insights. They arent looking for a sales pitch and are usually happy to talk about their work in a laid back manner. Then use those insights for the corporate person (typically the purchasing decision maker) who is likely to want you to be well researched and prepared for the meeting with them. Grainger is looking for a self starter who has good time management skills and the ability to sell. The managers in this interview really knew what they were talking about and I felt that I really shined in this interview. Friendly guys who would be enjoyable to work for.

I was pushed onto the final round which was an interview with the manager of the managers on the phone. She called me twenty minutes late and 90% of her questions were asking me the questions they asked me in the previous interview and my answers. She wanted to keep this more "conversational". Her dog barked throughout parts of my interview and the few questions she asked that were original contained four or five questions in one; giving me no time to answer the first two questions she asked before tagging on three more questions. She gave no feedback before moving onto the next question. The interviewer usually will provide some form of feedback to your answers so you can either clarify or know that what you said got to the point they were looking for or didnt. Obviously, my experience isnt universal in the Grainger interview process and was more just the one person I talked to and her particular mood at the time. Essentially there was little substance in this interview and I felt that she rushed me off the phone without gaining insights into who I was. After interviewing with three managers in person for over an hour and a half, to then have the job offer be determined by a conversation on a phone for less than twenty minutes seems a bit strange and backwards. Overall, just know your STAR format and have some good experiences to talk about. Be friendly and really be about the outside sales. Dont let the "conversational" nature of the last phone interview throw you, bring your A game and make sure you conclude it the same way you would conclude a formal interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time you turned a no into a yes. Tell about a time you had to handle a complaint. What is your ideal job? What qualities do you have that would make you right for this job?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for W.W. Grainger

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (San Diego, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who then set up a time for a phone interview with me. She asked about 4 STAR format questions and went over the salary. After that, I was then brought in for a face to face interview with the hiring manager. It was very casual which I liked because I tend to get pretty nervous for interviews. All STAR format questions....I then went on to two more phone interviews one with Manager of Territory of Sales and the Director of Sales. I was offered the position but did not accept. After I did more research on Glassdoor, other reps were saying
    -They work 80+ hours a week
    -Goals are changed monthly which are often unreachable
    -Give you a hard time when want to use PTO
    -High turn over rate
    -Etc.
    The compensation was non negotiable and was not an acceptable rate for me.This would be a good position for someone right out of college. You get a phone, and a branded vehicle ( which I read they track every minute). I addressed the issues the other reps had with the hiring manager and he never got back to me. So for those of you who are reading this, we can assume that the issues are relevant and they plan on doing nothing about it

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in January 2015.

Interview

Phone call from recruiter for phone screen. 1 on 1 with potential manager. Phone call interview with Regional Manager. Process was kind of long. It took a few weeks to finally get the offer. Interview questions were all STAR format.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when......
      Tell me about a time where you worked in a group and a member wasn't doing their part.
      Tell me when you had to tell someone no.

Answer Question

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at W.W. Grainger in December 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to fill out an online assessment followed by a phone interview, the next week I was called back for a face to face interview with 2 managers one of which was dressed very unprofessional and sloppy and completely disinterested in the interview. While I answered the STAR format questions the interviewer was twirling her hair and not paying much attention to my answers, the other interviewer was somewhat paying attention and seemed a little more attentive. The next day I was sent an email stating they are going to pursue another candidate.

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at W.W. Grainger in September 2014.

Interview

I was first contacted by a recruiter via email. From there we set up a time to discuss the position. A couple of days later I had a phone interview with the same recruiter. About 3 weeks later I had a formal interview with the regional sales manager and the operations manager since it was a new territory.

Interview Questions

• How I would address a customer that is reluctant to give the company a chance.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiating, it was straight forward.

Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Tulsa, OK) in August 2014.

Interview

The recruiters lead you on about your hiring chances. They are very positive and upbeat but were misleading on what they were really looking for. First initial call, application and evaluation, phone interview and then face to face.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to create a progress or statistical report.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Application

interviewed at W.W. Grainger (Overland Park, KS) in August 2014.

Interview

The first step in the hiring process is a phone interview. At the end, I was asked to move on to the next step and fill out a personality assessment. I'm currently waiting to hear if I've moved on to the subsequent step or not.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you were faced with a problem and had to come up with a solution.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Clearwater, FL) in July 2014.

Interview

Got a call from a recruiter (at least that's what I assume she was) to meet at a local Starbucks for an interview. A few days later, I was asked to take the online Challey test. Within a week or so, I went into the local branch for an in person interview with a two panel team. Another week went by and I was asked to interview in person again with different people Final outcome-- no job offer. I've got many years of outside sales experience specifically with the types of clients this position would be working with. The only thing that I can see as a downfall is that I'm not just out of college or under 25. When checking over current employees in this position, you can very clearly see that they are all very young. Do they want someone to mold or influence? Why such a obvious skew toward youth? Seems as though they took me pretty far into the interview process to not seriously consider me. Total time was 4 weeks from start to finish.

Interview Questions

• No problems at all. In fact, they knew that I knew the STAR technique so well they didn't have me even try to sell them something.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Buffalo, NY).

Interview

A test, followed by a phone interview, followed by a face to face, followed by two more phone calls. It was pretty easy and they let you know if you are moving on or not. I talked to my current manager and then to her two bosses, as well as another manager of her ranking in another territory.

Interview Questions

• Nothing new, standard sales questions   1 Answer

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in April 2014.

Interview

I filled out an application online and received a call from a recruiter approximately a week later. Recruiter scheduled phone interview and sent me a link to take an online personality assessment before the phone interview the next day. The recruiter called me the next day to say that she had to go to a meeting and would need to reschedule the phone interview for the following day. Had phone interview, STAR method, behavioral type questions. Phone interview seemed to go well and I thought we had a nice rapport. Recruiter told me she would pass my information along to the hiring managers and I would be contacted if they wanted to interview me face to face. I received an email about 4 days later stating they had gone with other candidates.