W.W. Grainger Territory Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2015

2.9

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at W.W. Grainger in June 2015.

Interview

Laid back and very comfortable they made me feel very at ease and when I started go off base a little tr interviewer politely got me back on track to stay to the module STAR if you are great at star interviews you will nail this one. I passed round 1 and my in person interview is in one week. So I'm still in the hiring process!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you could have done better at your job and what steps did you take to change it?/get better?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for W.W. Grainger

Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Greensboro, NC) in May 2015.

Interview

Standard Interview process using the STAR (Situation, Task/ Action, Results) method they have posted on their website. Questions are drawn from your results of the personality test issued by HR. Preparation is a must. I utilized the sample questions from other reviews on glassdoor and prepared answers for them. It also helps to know about the company and their policies/initiatives going into the interview.

Interview Questions

• Did you ever sell something to someone that they did not have a need for?
      Tell me about a time you overcame a "no".
      What is one of your biggest failures?
      Describe yourself in three words.

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online, the was contacted by recruiter to schedule phone interview. Recruiter asked STAR questions and then asked me to take an online personality test. Called the next day to set up face to face interview with territory sales manager. This interview was also in STAR format. Manager called me that day to set up a phone interview with his counterpart in a different region. After that interview, the recruiter called to set up another interview with the director of territory sales. Scheduled for that interview tomorrow.

Interview Questions

• What is an obstacle you have faced in your life and how did you overcome it?

Have you ever had to turn a "no" into a "yes"

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied on-line and received a call with in 4 days. We set a time for our initial phone interview, which went very well. Later that day I received a call and we scheduled a second, more in depth phone interview. The whole process was very smooth and very professional. Everyone was exceedingly friendly. They use the S.T.A.R. interview process. You better have done a lot of research on the company, as I was asked several questions. The questions asked during the interview are average IF you know yourself and have interviewed before.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were successful handling a serious customer issue.   Answer Question

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Interview

First I was contacted by a recruiter and we had an interview over the phone in the STAR format (situation/task action result). Her name was Katherine and she was friendly and very informative throughout my entire interview process after our own interview. She was easily accessible by email and she helped a lot with some helpful notes before I went into each round.

The next round was in front of three territory managers and it lasted about an hour and a half. They had some good questions and were very competent. Some questions are when was a time you turned a no into a yes? When is a time you had to handle a customer complaint and what did you do? One of the best questions was if you were presented with two doors at the same company, one is to the blue collar worker type and the other one was to a corporate type, which door do you go through first? Great question, youd want to go to the worker type first, converse with them and gain insights. They arent looking for a sales pitch and are usually happy to talk about their work in a laid back manner. Then use those insights for the corporate person (typically the purchasing decision maker) who is likely to want you to be well researched and prepared for the meeting with them. Grainger is looking for a self starter who has good time management skills and the ability to sell. The managers in this interview really knew what they were talking about and I felt that I really shined in this interview. Friendly guys who would be enjoyable to work for.

I was pushed onto the final round which was an interview with the manager of the managers on the phone. She called me twenty minutes late and 90% of her questions were asking me the questions they asked me in the previous interview and my answers. She wanted to keep this more "conversational". Her dog barked throughout parts of my interview and the few questions she asked that were original contained four or five questions in one; giving me no time to answer the first two questions she asked before tagging on three more questions. She gave no feedback before moving onto the next question. The interviewer usually will provide some form of feedback to your answers so you can either clarify or know that what you said got to the point they were looking for or didnt. Obviously, my experience isnt universal in the Grainger interview process and was more just the one person I talked to and her particular mood at the time. Essentially there was little substance in this interview and I felt that she rushed me off the phone without gaining insights into who I was. After interviewing with three managers in person for over an hour and a half, to then have the job offer be determined by a conversation on a phone for less than twenty minutes seems a bit strange and backwards. Overall, just know your STAR format and have some good experiences to talk about. Be friendly and really be about the outside sales. Dont let the "conversational" nature of the last phone interview throw you, bring your A game and make sure you conclude it the same way you would conclude a formal interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time you turned a no into a yes. Tell about a time you had to handle a complaint. What is your ideal job? What qualities do you have that would make you right for this job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (San Diego, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who then set up a time for a phone interview with me. She asked about 4 STAR format questions and went over the salary. After that, I was then brought in for a face to face interview with the hiring manager. It was very casual which I liked because I tend to get pretty nervous for interviews. All STAR format questions....I then went on to two more phone interviews one with Manager of Territory of Sales and the Director of Sales. I was offered the position but did not accept. After I did more research on Glassdoor, other reps were saying
    -They work 80+ hours a week
    -Goals are changed monthly which are often unreachable
    -Give you a hard time when want to use PTO
    -High turn over rate
    -Etc.
    The compensation was non negotiable and was not an acceptable rate for me.This would be a good position for someone right out of college. You get a phone, and a branded vehicle ( which I read they track every minute). I addressed the issues the other reps had with the hiring manager and he never got back to me. So for those of you who are reading this, we can assume that the issues are relevant and they plan on doing nothing about it

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at W.W. Grainger in January 2015.

Interview

Phone call from recruiter for phone screen. 1 on 1 with potential manager. Phone call interview with Regional Manager. Process was kind of long. It took a few weeks to finally get the offer. Interview questions were all STAR format.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when......
      Tell me about a time where you worked in a group and a member wasn't doing their part.
      Tell me when you had to tell someone no.

Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Columbia, MD) in January 2015.

Interview

I filled out an online application. Then they called and interviewed me. Then I took a long personality test. They called me again and asked me to fly in for an interview. I declined

Interview Questions

• are you ok with making 30k plus commission   1 Answer

Territory Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at W.W. Grainger in December 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to fill out an online assessment followed by a phone interview, the next week I was called back for a face to face interview with 2 managers one of which was dressed very unprofessional and sloppy and completely disinterested in the interview. While I answered the STAR format questions the interviewer was twirling her hair and not paying much attention to my answers, the other interviewer was somewhat paying attention and seemed a little more attentive. The next day I was sent an email stating they are going to pursue another candidate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at W.W. Grainger (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Only about 8 questions that are set up in a way so you can tell a story in the answer. You need to be able to set up a scenario, identify the problem, the solution you came up with, and the outcome.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when you had to make a difficult decision?   Answer Question