WESCO International Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014
Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.8

Sales Management Trainee Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at WESCO International.

Spoke with recruiter and applied online. I was invited to do the assessments, then a recorded interview. The recorded interview process involved hearing a question being stated through a video, given 30 seconds to prepare, then recording an answer. After this, I was invited to the final round interviews, where we were flown to Pittsburgh.

In Pittsburgh, candidates flew in the day before and had an information session and mixer that evening with the managers/etc who would be interviewing us the next day. The interview day consisted of 7 sessions, of which you got 3 or 4 sessions on your schedule (alternating with free sessions). After, candidates returned to the airport and flew home.

We were informed that we would hear of their decision, whether yes, no, or maybe, within the next two weeks, guaranteed. After three, I and another candidate had not heard anything. The following week, they received an email stating "we would like to offer you a position within our company...details will follow in the next few days". I had yet to hear any response and my inquiry was ignored. A few weeks passed and still no response for me (I assumed they did not extend an offer). More notably, the other candidate had yet to receive "further details" and when she inquired about it, was informed they were moved to "on hold" position. Shortly after, they said the program was dismissed at least for that season/year.

Two months were wrapped up in trying to find answers after being promised that there would be a decision within two weeks. It was a disappointing experience and am glad I was not relying on them for a position/decision.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were the generic ones you would expect - when you faced difficulty, overcoming obstacles, why this company, etc.   Answer Question

Data Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at WESCO International in September 2014.

I applied online and was contacted within a week via phone to set up an interview with two managers at Wesco's Pittsburgh office.

My first interview was with the Data Services manager. She was very friendly and provided a great overview as to what a typical day is like as a Data Specialist. She also mentioned some of the changes that were occurring, such as the department being two employees short (why the position was open), more streamlining and change in pay structure for the role.

When it came time for me to ask questions, I was surprised and slightly disappointed with the responses. When I asked how the corporate culture was at Wesco, there was some slight hesitation. While she enjoyed working with her team, she did not seem to feel the same about other departments. This was somewhat of a red flag for me. I think it is safe to assume that anywhere you work, there will be some departments that may not get a long, but mentioning that in an interview says a lot. I also seemed to have caught her off guard by asking how Wesco differs from their competitors. While I do not expect employees to know everything about their competitors, it is important for them to know what makes their business better than others. There are just so many different aspects someone could talk about to answer that question and she had nothing at all to say.

My second interview was with the Pricing Support manager. She seemed very rushed and uninterested in the interview before it really even began. She primarily asked behavioral questions (which were read off a list) to learn more about myself. Some of the questions on her list were:

How well do you handle stress?
    What is something that bothers you about other co-workers?
    What do you look for in a leader?
    What is a weakness for you?

She seemed to be satisfied with her experience and current role at Wesco. She also held a different view on the corporate culture saying most employees were young and the office was laid back.

Both of them said that the Data Specialist position is a great way to gain experience and grow within Wesco. Additionally, when I asked the Pricing Support manager about professional development, she mentioned that they do have opportunities which even included Lean Certification.

I was told that they would reach out to me by the end of the following week. Two weeks went by with no follow-up on their end and when I reached out to them I never received a reply.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or unexpected. This is one of the easier interviews I have had.   Answer Question

Pricing Analyst Interview

I did the first round interview with pricing manager. The interview lasts for 40 minutes and all questions were behavioral questions. "What will you do if people from multiple departments want data from you" "how will you deal with the situation if a member in your team doesn't agree with you". Questions like this.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hammond, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hammond, IN

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at WESCO International.

This seems like a great company to work for. I would have loved to been placed here but the trail ran cold. I had an interview with the OP Mgr and several follow ups but I only got the run around with this company.

Pricing Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at WESCO International in February 2014.

HR- talked with hr about experience and salary, skill test- took test to acess knowledge, hiring manager- spoke with hirign manager about experience,-brief, their manager- spoke with senior management about experience,drug test, offer-offer extended no negotiation

Be up front on what you want.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at WESCO International in November 2013.

i never did do a formal interview. i was referred by a good friend and was pretty much hired by his recommendation of me and my experience and skill set.

Interview Questions
    long. what i was told i was going to be offered and what i was offered was totally different. Took a long time to get on the same page.

Senior Server Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at WESCO International in May 2013.

Applied for position and was contacted quickly by HR Recruiter. After a 1 hour phone screening / interview, I was told that I would be brought in for an on-site interview. I checked in every 2 weeks and I was told I would be contacted soon. After 2 months, I discovered the job was filled.

Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chino, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at WESCO International in July 2009.

My interview was the same day i submitted my resume< and got the job within a month

Interview Questions
    • What does customer service mean to you and how far would you go to help a customer?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at WESCO International in August 2008.

They didn't take the interview seriously from the start. Once the interviewer mentioned that they were interviewing internally I knew that they werent going to consider any external candidates and that was why they were trying to rush me out the door. If you dont want to take the process seriously then dont waste both of our time. Oh well, you win some you lose some. Still a bad experience though.

Graduate Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Regina, SK (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Regina, SK (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at WESCO International in August 2013.

I was found through LinkedIn for a position in my city. The corporate HR process was slow and painful. Took 8 weeks to go the qualifying math exam, recorded webcam interview (one chance to answer 3 questions, answer 2 minutes max, very difficult). The face to face interview with branch manger was the shortest interview ever. I was asked to tell them about myself and then the interview concluded. Next day I was offered the job with no details about what the position was about.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part was the answer to the question "Why do you want to be in sales and what attracts you to that kind of position?' with only one shot to answer that in two minutes giving the answer to a computer screen with a webcam recording the answer.   Answer Question
    No negotiations, I was offered the maximum possible.