WEX Interview Questions

Updated Nov 26, 2014
Updated Nov 26, 2014

3.3

Sales Interview

Interview

Interviewed with three different people. Standard questions. Didn't try to "have me sell them something (i.e. pen, paperclip)" Very nice people that gives you a break down of the company and how the departments differ.

Negotiation

No negotiation

Director Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at WEX.

Interview

no structure to any interview questions; the interviewer seemed very uninterested in the process; WEx has no idea what an ideal candidate is nor what an ideal employee is to the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Business Strategy Intern Interview

Interview

In person interview by 3 Vice Presidents

Technical Operations and Compliance Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at WEX (South Portland, ME) in August 2012.

Interview

A 30 minute phone was initially scheduled with a company recruiter where my background, the position, company and salary requirements were discussed.

A week later an in-person interview was scheduled. For the first 15 minutes, I met with the recruiter again who discussed the benefits package. The next hour was scheduled with two team leaders who the position would support. Their offices are spread out, and since I did not have a car, the recruiter offered to drive me to the interviewers. The atmosphere was friendly and the interviewers were casual, but not unprofessional.

Questions started with my current qualifications and why I would be suited to the position. My technical qualifications did not meet all requirements for the position, and interviewers were interested in how I could translate my current skills to the position. The position would also support projects and report development requests from various teams, and they were interested in my time and project management skills, as well as my people management skills in case a development request was not feasible. Towards the end of the interview they asked if I had questions. It was mentioned that (should I be selected) my next interview round would be with the immediate supervisor of the position. I was not selected to move further, and two weeks later was informed, over email, that a more qualified person was selected.

The cubicle walls in their office were higher than I am used to, completely blocking out views of co-workers. The atmosphere seemed intellectually stimulating. One of the team leaders mentioned that folks held strong opinions and sometimes held lively debates. I was left with an overall positive impression of the people I met.

Interview Questions

• What would be the first thing you do after hire?   Answer Question
    • Describe how you handled a difficult situation with a customer. (This question was further qualified - suggesting a customer may be internal co-workers or anyone who depends on your work)   Answer Question
    • Describe how you handled an uncomfortable situation with co-workers.   Answer Question

Support Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at WEX (South Portland, ME) in February 2010.

Interview

After multiple phone interviews I was called in for 2 separate rounds of interviews with 9 people in total over 2 days.

It was clear from talking to people that Wright Express either does not have a business strategy or the leadership does not know it or they choose not to tell it to me.

Everyone was very friendly and open about the company.

At the end I did not get the job because of fit. Appeared that they are a very consensus driven organization and it takes an almost complete buy in to make a decision.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself? How coudl you save us money?   1 Answer

BI Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at WEX (South Portland, ME) in February 2010.

Interview

Informal team, productive, objective

Interview Questions

• Why would you create more universes than one   1 Answer
    • Data Warehousing - what is special about it   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiations

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at WEX (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2010.

Interview

it took about 2 months and it seemed to be avg questions. One bad thing is they are moving to more inside sales. No leads will be passed on to you like they promise. Selling Pressure will get to you. Some manager have never sold.

Negotiation

There was no negotiation it was take it or leave it

Compliance Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at WEX in March 2012.

Interview

They asked you why you wanted to work for them. Why do you want to leave your current job. What are your current job responsibilities. How did you hear about the job. What are your short and long term goals and how do you plan on archiving them. How do you measure success.

The hiring managers were nice. First meeting with the compliance officer for 30 minutes and then met with a few hiring managers.

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at WEX in December 2011.

Interview

The manager in charge of the eastern half of the US for Wright Express contacted me on the phone in response to my resume. I interviewed with him for about a half hour and he gave me a brief job description and answered questions regarding the day to day activity of the job. He was vague about the company's direction, leadership, compensation, and products. Lots of cliches- "I know you're interviewing us as much as we are interviewing you, etc." He said "I did a great job" on the phone interview and that I would be contacted by a representative of HR who called me 2 days later. The HR lady was actually an internal recruiter who had no clue I had already spoken with the manager- red flag #1. OK. I was provided more information on the interview process and was told that if I was selected I would be going to Maine for 2 days of face to face interviews. Several days later I got a form email with about 10 other people in the "to" line who obviously did not work for the company.

So the company flies me to Maine and puts me up in a decent hotel at the airport. All of the candidates travel together from the hotel to the company headquarters. We were sat in a room and given more details about the benefits program which Wright Express really seems to push. We were given a schedule for the day- 6 interviews in the morning with 9 people. Frankly, the candidates had no clue who was who and we interviewed with people whose departments were different than the position we were applying. They really want to gauge your prospecting activity and how you react to situations. Even the "HR ladies" were drilling us about prospecting questions but I would be willing to bet that these people never cold called or signed a deal in their lives. Every time I brought up that I wanted to know more about the commission structure I was given vague answers and nothing concrete.

After lunch, we were given about an hour for a "case study" where we would present to a prospective customer (with management serving as different occupations for the customer) and then presented without the candidates in the room. That was fine but certain managers were then drilling us with questions containing industry jargon for which they already knew we wouldn't know anything about since we were never provided a dictionary with the industry vernacular.

The candidates were speaking to each other all day about this unique interview process and became more friendly as the day went on. At the airport we started putting things together from our own interviews and discovered that they represent different brands and that you are likely to be competing against the company's own sales reps. We all found them to be vague about the commission structure while over-emphasizing the benefits. The HR people (actually recruiters) had too much say in the process and were unprofessional. The senior managers seemed likable but part of a good old boys club as they had all been there for long periods of time. The lower level managers never established rapport with the candidates who would be working for them as you can tell they were untrained to interview and were not likable.

There were several communication issues throughout the process but I learned a lot to prepare me if I ever encounter an interview like this again.

Interview Questions

• What were the attributes of your best and worst boss?   Answer Question
    • When do you move on with a customer on the fence but hasn't committed after a period of time?   Answer Question