Wachovia Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

2.9

Personal Banker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Wachovia (Columbia, SC) in April 2010.

Interview

I met with a contact whose an FA at Well's Fargo. He forwarded my resume onto the recruiter. I participated in a phone interview then a panel interview the next week which consisted of 3 interviewers (Two district managers and a regional manager). The questions were all situational, "Tell me about a time when you handled an upset client", "Tell me about your biggest sale", "Tell me how you would handle a client who wants to close their account", "Tell me what motivates you", and finally, I was asked to give a one minute commercial explaining why I was the best candidate for the position. I received a phone call 36 hours later and was offered a job. The best advice I can give anyone is to study before the interview. I typed up all the questions and answers before I participated in my panel interview and it helped tremendously as there was not a single question I was asked which I did not immediatley know the answer. Also, consistently look the interviewers in the eye, and make sure to speak to each of them while answering a question. They grade the interview from a client's perspective. Most importantly, be very, very, specific with your answers. Don't say that something took a long time, but rather one month. They are very, very, stringent about this.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is nothing to negotiate. The base pay was mentioned during the phone interview along with the potential override. Unless one has a book of business to bring over to Private Banking then there is nothing to negotiate.

Financial Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Wachovia (Washington, DC) in April 2010.

Interview

Interviewers were 30 minutes late. Heavily focused on STAR process.

Interview Questions

• No real difficult or unexpected interview. Standard questions asked for any sales or customer service positions   Answer Question

Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Wachovia (Atlanta, GA) in March 2010.

Interview

Initially contacted by internal recruiter. Two hour interview with hiring manager. The normal questions on background and skills. At the end, I was asked to prepare a business plan and submit it to them. Spent some time on the business plan, provided them research and ideas. Didn't hear anything back (not even a comment on the 15 page plan) so followed up with the recruiter. Told me that they are still interviewing candidates and going to keep looking. My guess is that they are looking for a grand slam home run.

Personal Banker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greer, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Wachovia (Greer, SC) in March 2010.

Interview

lied about first location not hiring after interviewing for the position, found out when I finally got to my branch that another girl working temporarily at my branch got hired for that original location. STAR format interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

they were not very flexible about salary "wells fargo policy"

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ewing, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wachovia (Ewing, NJ) in March 2010.

Interview

The interview went very well. Mostly in STAR format--situation, task, action, results. Makes sure you really know the company and the position details...do your homework. Had a phone and face to face interview. Phone interview was with a recruiter and in-person interview was with a hiring manager at the office. Questions were mostly behavioral and situational.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and how did you respond?   Answer Question
    • If you had a cash difference at the end of the day, what would you do? What if your manager was not available and all your colleagues were busy helping customers?   Answer Question

Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Wachovia (New York, NY) in March 2010.

Interview

Both phone and 1:1 interview were ridiculous. HR interviewer did not seem comfortable with the interview and store manager performed 1:1 interview. Store Manage was clueless as I later found out she is in fact a terrible manager herself. The interview process is a reflection of the company itself. AWFUL!

Interview Questions

• Name a time you took a difficult situation and turned it into a positive outcome.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiating

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Wachovia (Miami, FL) in February 2010.

Interview

The hiring process for becoming a Teller at Wachovia is pretty laid back. You start of with an online application that requires you to take a Unicru personality test, one of those where they give you a statement and you have to say whether you: Strongly agree, agree, feel neutral, disagree, or Strongly disagree. I have failed several of these tests in the past, so I did some research. (Small hint: agree and disagree are always wrong, you should always pick one of the "strongly" options. Also, absolutely do NOT be honest. To pass this test you actually have to claim to have never told a lie or broken a promise in your life.) Anyway, along with the personality test is a basic skills test. It involves some pretty simple arithmetic questions. You can fly right through it if you have a calculator next to you. Once you pass, they notify you that they would like you to com in for a group orientation. They explain to you the different career paths at Wachovia and that the type of personality traits they look fo in an employee. They also ask everyone to go around the room sharing a little about their education and work experience. The recruiters are basically feeling everyone out to decide who they'll invite for a 1 on 1 interview. If you're selected for an interview, they'll call you in for a meeting with the manager and whatever bank they have a Teller opening. They'll ask you pretty standard interview questions, i.e. 1. Name two of your greatest strengths 2. Two greatest weaknesses 3. Tell me about a time when you didn't get along with someone you were working with in a group or team and explain how you handled it 4. Why do you want to be a teller? They also toss out some situational questions, like what would you do if you balanced your transactions at the end of the day and you found you were $500 short? Nothing too crazy. To nail the interview just make sure you stress your cash-handling experience, that you love working in teams, and are very goal-oriented. Working as a teller, they set goals for you on a daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly basis. They want to be sure they hire people that respond well to that kind of environment.

Interview Questions

• What would you of if after reviewing your transaction, you found you were $500 short?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Wachovia (Paramus, NJ) in January 2010.

Interview

I applied online, took a personality assessment, and was contacted by the recruiter within a week. We then interviewed by phone. After that, a panel iterview was conducted, and the job was offered. Be specific in your interview answers. They want specific examples and not generalized answers.

Interview Questions

• Name a specific time that you helped someone who was upset and how you helped that person.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Wachovia (Richmond, VA) in January 2010.

Interview

he interview was la they really were dumb questions with very detailed ways to be answered. The questions would drain you out so much you would do bad in the interview.

to low

Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Wachovia (Charlotte, NC) in December 2009.

Interview

Applied for an internal posting; followed with preliminary phone screen and then interviewed in person by a panel. Interview format is behavioral ie open ended questions along the lines of "tell me about a time where you faced a difficult situation in the work place/overcame adversity, etc" Usually canned anecdotal responses do well in this format. The company may even provide you with a list of target subject matter to facilitate preparation. This is the format used for all but the most technical jobs. The company also highlights diversity as a core value, anything in support of that will be looked upon favorably.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer

Decided the company was not a long term career fit and made a decision to change professions