Wachovia

Updated Sep 18, 2014
Updated Sep 18, 2014

2.9

Personal Banker Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wachovia in October 2009.

Very nice people. Applied online, received an email from a recruiter regarding the position for a phone interview. The lady was very nice and respectful and at the end she told me she will recommend me to the District Manager for a 2nd interview and that i have moved forward with the interview process. The position was 40 minutes from my house (apparently too far for the District Manager so my 2nd interview was canceled) The recruiter however was very nice and recommended me to a college of hers for a position 20 minutes away from my place (I guess 20 minutes is close enough for them but not 40 minutes). Had to speak to 2 more ladies on the phone and a panel interview was scheduled for me (scheduled 2 weeks later) 2 weeks later District Manager canceled the interview couple of days before it because she was unaveilable (yes she did haha) Interview was scheduled again next week. Interview itself is was very easy as long as you prepare. A lot of sales and customer service questions. Was interviewed by the DM, BM and one more lady (3 people total). Couple of days later I received a call from the recruiter that the position was given to someone with more experience. Everyone was very nice in this company, no complaints, they let you know if you don't get the position. Good luck everyone!

Interview Questions
    • In your previous position, did you have any sale goals you had to reach?   Answer Question
    • Are you more of a visual learner, a reader or a listener?   Answer Question

Underwriting Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Leandro, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Leandro, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wachovia in October 2009.

Recruiter reached out to me and asked if I was interested in some openings Wachovia had. Of course I said yes since I'm always open to new opportunities. I had a few phone interviews and screenings with various people. The last one was with the VP Recruiting of the Western Region. The interview went well and they had me interview in person at the local office (San Leandro) with the Operations Manager.

The 1:1 interview covered my previous and current experience and gave me a good idea of the job description. The complete time of the interview was about one hour. I felt that it went very well. I even got a tour of the facility. The interviewer told me that I would be contacted within 1 week with an answer. He explained that they had several positions open and where going to interview other candidates.

The VP of recruiting contacted me about 1 week later and told me the position I interviewed for was going to be filled with an internal candidate. I was very disappointed since I felt the interview went very well and I wanted out of my current job. However he did have another position to offer me (Loan Operations Manager). I declined due to the fact I would be taking a pay cut to my annual salary and all in compensation. I did however appreciate the offer. Its nice to know people still value my qualifications.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle different personalities and work place conflicts between employees?   View Answer

Less Pay

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Wachovia in October 2009.

Phone call, Group presentation/interview with various company representatives and also other applicants.

Interview Questions
    • Usual behavioral questions. Very customer service and team oriented questions.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. They start their tellers at the same hourly rate. I was paid more due to language skills. Im sure experience in the field would increase your pay also, but I did not have any.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Wachovia in September 2009.

I filled out an online application on the career section of the employer's website. I later received a phone call from a local recruiter. The recruiter asked me a few questions about why I wanted the job and my skills. The interviewer told me that the interview with the manager would involve behavioral type questions and she gave me a handout about how to prepare for this type of interview. I was later asked to interview with the store manager and the teller manager. The recruiter called me a few days later and told me that I passed the interview. I thought this interview process was easier than other major banks and that this bank focused more on customer service than sales.

Interview Questions
    I was asked what I would like to earn per house. I said it doesn't matter, what ever the minimum wage was at the time. I was told that they position usually earns 10 per hour. Later to my surprise I found out I was offered 12.50 on my acceptance letter. I think the offer is based off of previous relevant work experience because I know some people made 25 to 50 cents more.

Quality Assurance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Wachovia in September 2009.

The team was very much into panel interviews and group decision making (but on the surface only, at the end management pressured the peers toward a different candidate).

Interview Questions
    • If I had an opportunity to have a dinner with one people, living or dead, who would it be and why   Answer Question

I did not think the manager and I would fit each other well

Senior Information Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wachovia in August 2009.

First interview went well, however they wanted to hire someone internally so went with them instead. They like me enough to have a 2nd interview 2mos later. Interviewers were very detailed in their questions and asked me to provide feedback on their current integration (with Wells Fargo) efforts. In the interim between interview 1 and 2 the hiring manager resigned, never a good sign. Who quits their job in the middle of a recession unless it is a bad situation? Very desperate (a little too much) to bring somebody on board. Seemed to me they were having a brain drain with Wells takeover.

Interview Questions
    • How would you change the screen design of this portal to be more user friendly?   Answer Question

I had a bad feeling about them. Long decision making process + hiring less qualified internal candidates + Wells takeover + hiring manager leaving - desperation = I'll pass.

Customer Service Representative Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wachovia in August 2009.

No big deal, applied online, eventually got a call a week or so later. Had a very brief phone interview. Then got another call to schedule a 1 on 1. After that you take a BG check, then you get a call a week or so later offering you the job if you pass.

Branch Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wachovia in August 2009.

The first round phone interview and skills test were humorously straight out of an HR handbook. It was easy to tell that the recruiter was looking to hear specific items so that they could check the box. It was imperative to try to sound as outgoing and extroverted as possible. The 1:1 interview was less rigid, but still included a set list of questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a time when you faced a decision that was unpopular among your peers   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pennington, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pennington, NJ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Wachovia in August 2009.

I interviewed with the Teller Manager and the Branch Manager at the same time. They used the S.T.A.R. interview method which consisted of long and overly complicated questions. My answers were to be given in the format of:
    S. describe the Situation
    T. describe my Task
    A. what Action did I take
    R. what was the Result

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you handled an upset customer.   Answer Question
    • If you appear to be short on meeting your sales quota, how would you try to boost sales/referals?   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Wachovia in August 2009.

First, you have a phone interview with the recruiter. Questions are similar to what you will find in the actual interview. All behavioral based questions, i.e. "Tell me about a time you had to coach an employee for not performing up to company standards "etc.. The next phase is being interviewed with the hiring manager (District Manager, and possibly another District Manager from neighboring region). More behavioral based questions. Interviewer usually follows predetermined guide. If you pass this, your almost there. The final test is a phone interview with the Community Bank President. These questions are more what you would expect.. What would you do if your branch was failing to meet sales numbers for the last 3 months. What would your first step be? what would your last step be? Have you had a similar situation? etc..

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your most difficult customer experience. How did you handle it, what were your actions, what was the result.   Answer Question
    Like any industry, thier first offer is typically what they are willing to provide given what you represent. I renegotiated my salary and was able to get a 2k increase in their original offer.