Wachovia Interview Questions & Reviews

2.9

Product Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Wachovia in January 2007.

Several phone interviews occurred - first with HR, then hiring manager, then peer of hiring manager. A second call took place with HR and with hiring manager. A day of in-person interviews took place with five interviews. The style was behavioral with all questions predetermined. Note - this was Wachovia's process and may change with Wells.

Little negotiation was possible with the offer.

Licensed Financial Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Wachovia in October 2008.

Interview process was typical: phone interview w/ HR, fill out application and do background check, interview w/ sales leader, interview w/ regional manager. Lots of exciting things promised in the interview, like commission potential, busy branches, etc. Turning out not to be as true as promised.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell me an appointment to come talk about a money market account?   View Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Wachovia in February 2009.

One phone interview by recruiter, then face to face with branch manager. Average interview considering the state of the market. Firms are very hesitant on hiring. Consisted of basic past situational questions and ideas of future client base and where they would be obtained.

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wachovia in May 2007.

The interview process was kind of long winded – from initial to final there were nine interviews with various people.

Initial interviews are by phone (screening) – then invited to Charlotte for a series of interviews.
    Many initial interviews followed a ‘structured question’ path (all candidates asked the same questions) – these are not focused on the job role, and you can be asked the same question multiple different ways. They focus round getting buy in for your ideas, overcoming objections to your ideas, handling conflict, keeping project moving despite strong opposition, plan for first 90 days, and how do you cope with change.
    Interviews were drawn from peer group, some partners you will need to interact with in the role, and final stages are the direct (and matrix) manager(s) you will be working for.

In my case – the interview process was quite positive –they had screened a many applicants and only a few were making though to the later rounds. First few rounds are clearly screening, with set questions - later interviews mostly concentrated on personality and style – mostly to see if the manager felt you were a good fit for their team.

The interviews tended to be in recruitment / meeting areas – with the interviewers coming to the room, so getting a feel for the office environment was difficult. Final interview was in the manager’s office.

Interview Questions
    • Many initial interviews followed a ‘structured question’ path (all candidates asked the same questions) – these are not focused on the job role, and you can be asked the same question multiple different ways. Initial focus round getting buy in for your ideas, overcoming objections to your ideas, handling conflict, keeping project moving despite strong opposition, plan for first 90 days, and how do you cope with change.   Answer Question
    Wachovia has a bay band for each role, and tends to offer in the 40-50th percentile range initially – but will go up a bit (max would be about 75 if you were really impressive.

The HR rep was able to negotiate within a range and was generally positive to work with. There was a range he was able to offer, and I was willing to accept – I said I couldn’t accept the initial offer, and he was able to come back with $12 more after a couple calls.

He was also able to offer a an up front bonus to cover loss of share options etc at previous company (note they talk ‘sign on’ but offer letter comes as ‘up front’ it didn’t quite get the significance until the end of the years when I was told I was not getting any consideration for part year bonus as I has already received it ‘up front’ – not a big issue, but just be aware of terminology).

WB also paid the relocation costs in a standard package.

Hint – if you know anyone at WB, the pay band for each role is published on the internal job posting board, try asking a friend to look it up and let you know the range.

Teller Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Wachovia in January 2007.

I was already employed for Wachovia and was applying for a position/promotion within another district. Because of interviewing conflicts between locations I was allowed a phone interview. It lasted about 15 minutes and consisted of the typical "Tell me about a time you..." type questions. I was contacted within a few days and made an offer by recruiting.

In my current position I am responsible for conducting interviews for new team members and Wachovia makes each manager take a course on their interviewing process. Within the last few months Service Leaders have taken the responsibility from the Teller Managers or FCM's and have begun hiring for the open Teller positions. In my opinion this has been a disaster. The SL's don't know each individual team well enough to hire someone that is a good fit. Also, they are usually hiring more than one position and will hire people within the first interview round that only possess the minimum qualifications. This has turned out to be disasterous for my team as well as others within my district. Our SL is only looking for quantity over quality. Interviewing needs to go back to the hands of the branch personnel. Just another way to micromanage everyone to death.

The interview format is standard across the board depening on the position applying for. Come prepared to answer several very specific questions based on what you've done in the past. Such as "tell me about a time a customer made an unreasonable request." For Teller/ Teller Manager interviews there is typically only one round of interviews. You should be contacted by a recruiter and not the person who conducted the interview. Although the work enviornment is typically business casual, I would recommend dressing in a suit for the interview, we do notice.

If you are applying for the first time in the Teller role you usually have to begin with a skills test before you are offered an interview. Once a job offer is received you will have to take a drug test and background check.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to gather and evaluate information from multiple sources and make a recommendation.   View Answer
    DO NOT ACCEPT THE FIRST OFFER. Wachovia will always offer the lowest pay grade no matter what skills you bring to the table. I have never heard of a case where they wont negotiate pay. I negotiated about $5000 over my initital offer as a Teller. When I was promoted to a TM I didn't negotiate pay (I thought I was going to be offered a job with another company and Wachovia made their offer first. I didn't expect to keep the job, therefore I didn't negotitate the pay). I was offered below market value for the TM position and am paying for it now. You must negotiate before you accept the offer. Once that paperwork is processed the pay raises are dismal.

Don't expect to negotiate anything else, such as time off. That is standard across the board

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Wachovia in October 2007.

Wachovia uses a behavorial interview technique in a panel setting, it's called STAR and standes for: Situation/Task-- Describe the situation that you were in or the task that you needed to accomplish. You must describe a specific event or situation, not a generalized description of what you have done in the past. Be sure to give enough detail for the interviewer to understand. This situation can be from a previous job, from a volunteer experience, or any relevant event.
    Action you took-- Describe the action you took and be sure to keep the focus on you. Even if you are discussing a group project or effort, describe what you did -- not the efforts of the team. .
    Results you achieved-- What happened? How did the event end? What did you accomplish? What did you learn?

Interview Questions
    • Again, it's a behavorial interview, so all questions beagn "Tell me about a time you..." versus asking general questions about strengths & weaknesses   Answer Question

Received better job offer

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Wachovia in May 2008.

My initial interview was actually with a recruiter first who asked me several questions about my skill set and what I was able to do as a developer. Once he was satisfied with my responses he set me up with a technical test. It was pretty straight forward but did take an hour out of my day. It was a timed test. Once I passed that test the recruiter called on a regular basis until we synced up a phone interview with the hiring manager. The manager rescheduled with me 2 times but we eventually connected. The day after that I received a call from the recruiter who told me that they wanted to interview me in person. That took approximately a week. I interviewed with the hiring manager, a technical specialist, and then select members of the team I was to be working with. I received a call the next day with the job offer. I found out that I was against several other people. I accepted the position and then several months later was in charge of screening and interviewing more developers to expand the team. Great Experience. The environment was awesome, fast pace and VERY busy due to a merger. Over all the people that I worked with were the best to date and I have been contracting for several years and have worked at several places.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how to build a dynamic drop down menu in flash without using a built in component.   View Answer
    I negotiated the rate I was requesting upfront, once It was agreed upon, there was no further negotiation.

Licensed Financial Specialist Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Wachovia.

Best to go to an Open House. Then a one on one subsequently. Then an on site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example of your persuasion of a client.   View Answer
    You can only negotiate within a range.

Regional Vice President Sales Management Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Wachovia in November 2008.

Interviews are pre screened by HR dept many times bedfore getting to hiring manager in certain cases in others if the hiring maanger wants you he will "arrange" the process t get you hired a good thing friendlly .. They are a regulated bank so expect very heavy background investigation so do not omitt or exclude anything they should be aware of ...never embelissh your resume o education...it may get you fired later on

Financial Advisor Intern Interview

Interview Process was straight forward. Looking to hire summer intern in to assist advisors. Questions were related to interest in field.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Just need to conversation going.   Answer Question