Wacker Chemical

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, TN
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, TN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Wacker Chemical in August 2011.

The initial ad for the job was written broadly, seeking physicists, preferably with PhDs, to help build a new silicon processing plant. I responded with a resume and cover letter. I did a phone interview which included three or four chemists at the company plant in Germany and a HR rep from Tennessee, all on a conference call. I was mainly asked typical background questions (tell me about your research, where do you see yourself in five years, what have you done while unemployed, tell me about a time when you and your boss had a conflict). No brainteaser questions, almost no behavioral questions. Within a week I was flown to Tennessee for an on-site interview. It took place around a table in a conference room and included the HR rep and two of the German scientists who'd flown to the US for a week of hiring and interviewing. Essentially it was a repeat of the phone interview, with some of the same questions being repeated. While it is typical for scientific job applicants to do a Powerpoint presentation on their past work and research projects, it was not a part of this interview process. There was no skills testing and I was done in 90 minutes.

Although I felt I made a good impression, I didn't get an offer. This is not surprising, given that my background scientific qualifications didn't meet the job description (PECVD/Siemens process work). Any PhD physicist/chemist who can speak German and English would be more qualified for the position (this describes most professional physicists and chemists in Germany). Also, I've been out of work for more than six months, and might look toxic for this reason. It's pretty much over for me.

Everyone at Wacker was friendly, professional, and organized, from the US administrative staff to the German scientific staff. My reimbursement check for the on-site interview was processed and in hand about a month after the trip.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time when you and your supervisor had a conflict. How was it resolved?   Answer Question
  • What skills do you have that apply to this job?   Answer Question