Wacker Chemical

2.6

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Wacker Chemical.

My position came through corporate recruiter, but many positions come via LinkedIn and corporate website. If you are interested in a position the recommended method is application via the website.

Interview Questions
    • No real difficult questions as Wacker really wants to know more about you than getting a standard response from canned interview questions. Be prepared to show some technical knowledge regarding applications or employment history. Products are all value-added specialties.   Answer Question

Global Technical Center Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Wacker Chemical in March 2013.

Initial interview was with the hiring manager and he was quite pleasant on the phone. The administrator working with me was etremely pleasant and helpful through the entire process which is key as I travelled globally for my job at the time. During the actual interview, everyone was extremelypleasnt and friendly and I was even taken to be greeted by other employees I was not interviewing with which was nice. They were very detailed and honest about the company, what they liked and didn't so much like from a personal basis, and made me feel quite comfortable that this would be a good new home.

Interview Questions
    • I don't really recall the most complicated question but I do recall a number of people inquiring as to why I had changed over from technical (R&D Chemist) to Business Development.   Answer Question

I wanted to accept but was convinced to stay at my company when I turned in my resignation. I feel it was a mistake and should have taken the offer.

Lab Manager - Chemical Analysis Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, TN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Wacker Chemical in February 2012.

I applied for a Lab Manager position at the new Cleveland TN plant. I first had a phone interview. They called me to set up the interview probably a week after I submitted the application. When they called me, they wanted to do the phone interview the next day, so I didn't have much time to prepare. The phone interview was with 2 or 3 people from the Berghausen branch in Germany and one of the HR staff members in TN. They didn't ask any science questions since it was a Lab Manager position. They asked what I knew about the company, if I had experience training people on equipment, trouble shooting problems with equipment, etc. I didn't think the phone interview went very well, but they called me the next day for an in-person interview.

I currently live in Liverpool, UK, so they flew me to Berghausen instead of Cleveland for the interview. The interview lasted an hour and a half maybe. With 4 others from Berghausen and a Cleveland representative via video conferencing. They asked me some situational questions, they asked me to explain my research to the 2 HR representatives there and some behavioral or do you have experience doing X. Then I got a tour of the lab, which was pretty cool.

One of the questions I asked them was about upward mobility in the company. They pretty much told me they wanted someone to stay in the position for a very long time to keep standards consistent. They want you to get v. good at your particular job and stay there.

I didn't get a job offer, but I don't have much managerial experience as I have been a research chemist in academia. Plus I couldn't start immediately, so I wasn't too surprised I didn't get an offer. However, everyone was very nice, the company seems to be run very well and efficiently and I think it would be a good company to work for.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to describe a situation in which I did something I wish I wouldn't have done and how I dealt with it.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, TN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Wacker Chemical in August 2011.

The initial ad for the job was written broadly, seeking physicists, preferably with PhDs, to help build a new silicon processing plant. I responded with a resume and cover letter. I did a phone interview which included three or four chemists at the company plant in Germany and a HR rep from Tennessee, all on a conference call. I was mainly asked typical background questions (tell me about your research, where do you see yourself in five years, what have you done while unemployed, tell me about a time when you and your boss had a conflict). No brainteaser questions, almost no behavioral questions. Within a week I was flown to Tennessee for an on-site interview. It took place around a table in a conference room and included the HR rep and two of the German scientists who'd flown to the US for a week of hiring and interviewing. Essentially it was a repeat of the phone interview, with some of the same questions being repeated. While it is typical for scientific job applicants to do a Powerpoint presentation on their past work and research projects, it was not a part of this interview process. There was no skills testing and I was done in 90 minutes.

Although I felt I made a good impression, I didn't get an offer. This is not surprising, given that my background scientific qualifications didn't meet the job description (PECVD/Siemens process work). Any PhD physicist/chemist who can speak German and English would be more qualified for the position (this describes most professional physicists and chemists in Germany). Also, I've been out of work for more than six months, and might look toxic for this reason. It's pretty much over for me.

Everyone at Wacker was friendly, professional, and organized, from the US administrative staff to the German scientific staff. My reimbursement check for the on-site interview was processed and in hand about a month after the trip.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you and your supervisor had a conflict. How was it resolved?   Answer Question
    • What skills do you have that apply to this job?   Answer Question

Chemist Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Wacker Chemical in August 2008.

Very disorganized company and interview process. It was like they were surprised that I was there for an interview, even though they invited me.
    Over all the questions were not very challanging and the people were nice.

When it came to offer time they low balled. They were not willing to work with me at all on things like salary and vacation time.

Interview Questions

Not enough money and 2 days of vacation for first year.